Aerotech FW190

Glad I’ve got the full fat version! I didn’t realise that aero tech produced so many different types of models.There must be loads still out there in shed’s and lofts maybe forgotten or unbuilt.Andy,you should try and finish the wellie so we could fly both yours and mine together!Would be an interesting sight to see.Some interesting non warbirds in the catalog,anybody got one?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, leccyflyer said:

I think it is a lot of money,  but I live in the past, when they were going down they sold everything off cheap, the single engine profile models models were £15 and the twins were £19. I bought a profile Mosquito, the fuselage and nacelles were veneered 1" thick foam the wings were semi semi symmetrical section and the tail feathers balsa. I fattened it up and it flew well once I changed the 600 brushed motors for Axi 2028/ 10s I believe it was 60" span. I also built the Stuka from the Aerotech kit it had an OS 40 2 stroke again no complaints with the flying. 

20240229_140637.jpg

20240229_140556.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, chris collis said:

Are you considering building all three of them sometime in the future Martin?Eric,do you plan on building the mossie sometime as I know that you seem to prefer depron equivalent builds,brilliant ones at that.There must be a lot of unstarted Aerotech kits out there!Makes you wonder if their reputation has put people off?

Yes I will build it if I live long enough, I like to experiment with alternative options but I do build in a traditional way also . This Bristol Bulldog was built from a plan, a labour of love at the time as there was no precut parts. Sarik have now produced a laser cut set for it  very  tempted but the exhaust system was a pita and I don't do 3d printing. 

20240229_142213.jpg

• Like 2

That Stuka looks the business Eric - very nice. 👍 It was the Aerotech Stuka and Mosquito that I found very attractive in their range, when they were displayed at the shows, but their reputation was such that I never bought one. There was talk of missing or ill-fitting parts and wing panels that were different lengths, rather than being in proper pairs. As you said when they came to the end they were selling them for next to nothing, but I still didn't buy one. It was only some years later when I saw the Profile P-51 perform that I wished that I had done so.

It’s a brilliant looking Stuka and the Mossie looks like a lot of fun too. Bulldog is tremendous and really well finished. I used to have a P38 Lightning finished in solafilm chrome,loved flying it until it got nicked.Eric, I know you have a superb Sunderland,ever thought about a Walrus or anyone else doing one?Just a crazy thought.

My clubmate Jim built a small Walrus a couple of years ago, but I believe it was nothing but trouble - saw it rolled into a ball several times on failed ROG launches and in the air it used to wallow about with a scary Dutch Roll sort of motion. I believe that in the end after modifying the wing incidence and engine thrust lines a few times Jim mothballed the Walrus. You can just see it here, behind the Sunderland and Canberra.

726268400_warbirdsday2021-3.thumb.jpg.92f402259e9e60a220288746bcfbe33b.jpg1835678199_warbirdsday2021-5.thumb.jpg.ad09bfaaf02080517e5e45f08cd51cda.jpg

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, leccyflyer said:

Or perhaps an elephant? 

May be an image of 4 people, elephant and seaplane

Those FB algorithms are something else, or perhaps it's just the Interconnectedness Of All Things, but this pooped up a few minutes ago. 😃

"Pooped up...." ...... excellent!

Hi Eric, wasn’t sure if your P38 and Stuka had foam and obeche wing panels and if washout was already built in.On any model I have built in the past I’ve always when hot wiring the core,added a degree or two of washout. I think it may have helped with the flying characteristics.My last incarnation being a A37 Dragonfly. It flies pretty well. Will have to check carefully if the Fw190 has any washout built in.

IMG_0573.jpeg

That is a very nice Dragonfly Chris,

All the Aerotech kits had foam veneer wings with no washout. The Mosquito kit I have has a pair of outer panels with washout, these were cut for me by a friend to replace the original panels.

I must make an effort to build it before I get to old.

If you have the facility to cut your own wings why not make a pair with washout and as veneer is not so readily available sheet them with balsa.

• 2 weeks later...

I have managed to to get my hands on one of Richard`s excellent BF109 kits thanks to Ron Gray (top bloke 😁) so i will be selling my Aerotech International  BF109 kit if anyone is interested, there is a period magazine with it complete with the build article. i`m looking for £140 plus postage for it.

IMG_20240314_132426_resized_20240315_104814509.jpg

IMG_20240314_132741_resized_20240314_071832680.jpg

IMG_20240314_132445_resized_20240315_104813713.jpg

IMG_20240314_132746_resized_20240314_071832273.jpg

IMG_20240314_132624_resized_20240314_071833899.jpg

IMG_20240314_132746_resized_20240314_071832273.jpg

Edited by martin collins 1