Durafly Vampire

Frank Day

The red thing is what arrived!

I've been in contact with the seller, it appears to have been a senior moment listing. Full refund offered so sending it back unless you guys are keen on it. Trad build, electric i think I can see an XT60, foam ceiling tile wing covered in red parcel tape, its quite special.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Here in all its glory, Was probably IC at some point in the 1950's or horse drawn, wing has recently been knocked up I suspect for sale purpose out of some sort of foam and covered in best parcel tape, no evidence of a spar.  Not sure what the wing profile is as its the same either way and thins mid cord before expanding to the TE, I did decide on the most obvious way up but the aileron cable would be out of the top!. it doesn't matter though as it only fits where it touches and is an S shape from tip to tip.

Not sure if the seller is moving his old stuff on or has set himself up as a wheeler dealer trying to make rubbish saleable.

It does however come with a recent BMFA sticker!

IMG_7027.JPG

IMG_7028.JPG

Edited by Frank Day
insanity
  • Sad 1

Hopefully a refund tonight (Monday) if the seller can enter the correct email!

Good news a contact of a contact knows of one. A wee bit tatty, nose has had a bump or two, but comes with a set of BNIB wings plus other bits.

Best bit £10! as no longer being used and gathering dust an extra £20 gets me a Eflite Radian 2m  power glider as well,  fully useable.  Better still I've actually met this guy before and have seen the Vampire flying.

Does anyone know of a 3d print nose for the Vampire

After all the drama and I suspect a bit of a scam this is the "new" Vampire ready to be collected along with a Eflite Radian Pro Glider avec led's  all in good working order for £30. Fortunately I have actually met the guy a few times so no concerns.

SIZB2942.JPG

HOER6422.JPG

UYWL9055.JPG

UILW6759.JPG

• Like 1

This is my heavily modified (some accidentally and some deliberately) and much abused nose area with a ply subframe linked to the battery mounting plate, during repair - excuse the unfinished glass clothing!

IMG_2644.jpeg

P.S. I don’t suppose anyone has a spare cockpit cover from a deceased model?  Mine was lost in wooded countryside so I’ve had to make a DIY replacement. 

C7D0B85C-38D4-42FE-BD16-9767922D63A3.thumb.jpeg.ece650d56c69f09a3f256f8866ca6308.jpeg

Edited by Martin Harris - Moderator

I've been looking at the cable steering, has to go. I've seen one image somewhere of a single pushrod conversion, slidey thing, name escapes me.

Looked at it for the Sea Vixen but the servo is directly behind the gear

I did end up fitting new cables  to the Vixen but I have to use a couple elastic bands to stop the trailing link nose gear turning once the tension eases. They have a short life span, I should probably source some pull springs.

On 06/03/2024 at 12:34, Martin Harris - Moderator said:

This is my heavily modified (some accidentally and some deliberately) and much abused nose area with a ply subframe linked to the battery mounting plate, during repair - excuse the unfinished glass clothing!

IMG_2644.jpeg

P.S. I don’t suppose anyone has a spare cockpit cover from a deceased model?  Mine was lost in wooded countryside so I’ve had to make a DIY replacement. 

C7D0B85C-38D4-42FE-BD16-9767922D63A3.thumb.jpeg.ece650d56c69f09a3f256f8866ca6308.jpeg

https://www.dbsportandscale.com/vampire-vac-canopy-8012-p.asp    Any use, may be it could be cut down

• Thanks 1