Slec Sky 40 and Vintage Glider

Posted (edited)

Back on topic for the Sky 40, would these engines be ok with that? It's advising between a 40 and 45 engine for it?

There is also the below:

ASP 91

Irvine 40 (MK3)

The O.S. FS-40S will be fine in the Sky 40 also won't it?

Edited by Hoochykins

Hoochy, for my money, 40 to 46 two stroke or 52 to 61 four stroke would be ideal for the Sky 40.

Anything less would be under-powered, anything more would be over-powered.

I would, for simplicity and reasonably low cost, suggest a 46 two stroke would be ideal.

There are a few suitable engines on Ebay at the moment, both new and used. I would look at new and new (other) as there’s more chance the engine will be undamaged/badly worn.

GDB

2 hours ago, Caveman said:

Hoochy, for my money, 40 to 46 two stroke or 52 to 61 four stroke would be ideal for the Sky 40.

Anything less would be under-powered, anything more would be over-powered.

I would, for simplicity and reasonably low cost, suggest a 46 two stroke would be ideal.

There are a few suitable engines on Ebay at the moment, both new and used. I would look at new and new (other) as there’s more chance the engine will be undamaged/badly worn.

GDB

Thanka. I think I need to get myself on track with what I actually need first. I'll see how my second model goes (SLEC Coyote) and then decide what to build.

I think I will have a Sky 40 incoming pre built so might get the 40 to go in this then decide, I don't think I'm up to a Ben Buckle kit yet...

• Like 1

There are several Irvine 40s and 46s available on eBay. Prices seem to range from £30-£50. The red ones are the newest but the older engines still run well. https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p4432023.m570.l1311&_nkw=irvine+rc+engine&_sacat=0#item349b2437a6.

OS engines may command slightly more money and the clones like ASP and SC slightly less.

Red case Irvine 40 or 46 would be ideal for the Sky.

I'd avoid the older silver case ones, bit of a minefield - although they are good runners, they do not have particularly effective silencers, and many of them have plastic carbs which are not great.

The red case ones are a good engine all round, such as:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/166626726799

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/355438298923

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/276354592841

Edited by Nigel R
  • Like 1

Engine prices on ebay remain surprisingly strong, especially for decent examples. Perhaps because there aren't that many new options? Much cheaper in person at a swapmeet if you can find one locally or ask around at the local club as someone will have some squirreled away! 

I am a fan of diesels for vintage type models. You will need to acquire the 'knack' but once you've got it the mechanical elegance is appealing. The smell and mess you will either love or hate. As objet d'arte they are much nicer than glow engines in my opinion and a more fitting pace/sound in a vintage type. This PAW19 flies my 52" Vic Smeed 'Electra' easily on just above tickover for beautifully relaxed flying. Its reasonably similar to a Junior 60. I have 3 PAW 19s in different models including the semi-scale 42" SE5. All are excellent runners and superbly engineered. Not super cheap but you can still buy them directly from PAW and support one of the few remaining UK manufacturers of such wonderful things. Worth every penny! 

20210415_175342.thumb.jpg.5a9820d5ff92a8d1f32b52aa8ae46686.jpg20210718_095235.thumb.jpg.fa581871c9e889dd9ad2a3c35e7d28a5.jpg

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I've managed to source an SC 25a engine (new) so need an engine mount for it. Also id like a universal style one so I can make up a test bench for other engines.

I guess I'll need to look into fuel tanks now also...

What would you guys recommend for these?

Edited by Hoochykins

31 minutes ago, David Davis said:

I assume that this SC 25a is for the projected vintage model. A four to six ounce tank, 120cc-180cc, will be ideal for this engine. I like the SLEC Maxi tanks myself. https://www.slecuk.com/maxi-fuel-tanks?search=Fuel tank&category_id=0

It may be or if I can find a PAW 19 I will use that then keep the 25a for another model, the larger 40/45 will be for the Sky 40.

• Like 1

I have purchased a PAW 19 MKII for £60 with carb and muffler 😁

Now what do I put it in??

I am in the process of building the SLEC Coyote and it looks like I will be getting a Sky 40 so will go glow for that.

I want something vintage and large, a large glider or slow trainer kind of model. I do have to bear in mind the Coyote is only my first build using plans so if I will need something that isn't too challenging...

s-l1600.png

Nice engine. Good choice Sir!

I can recommend the Vic Smeed 'Electra' as a suitable airframe. Plans available for free on outerzone. So named I think because it was designed as very early single channel R/C model, nothing to do with electric power! Its large and light enough to fly slowly and is an inherently stable free flight type design. I chose this for an early build as it uses sheet sides so a lot less framework to build compared to many similar models. I simplified it further by building a flat horizontal stabiliser and it doesn't seem to have compromised its flying characteristics at all.  

The Ben Buckle Super 60 is a fine trainer and will suit the PAW. I've built two and bought another ready made. They are available as both three and four channel models., i.e, both with and without ailerons. They are fine trainers capable of handling a bit of a breeze.  https://www.benbucklevintage.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_4 They are easy to build but if you've never built a stick and tissue style model before you'd be better off having the help of an experienced aeromodeller alongside you at least in the initial stages.

On my latest build I have used De Luxe Materials Super Phatic glue for the first time and I can recommend it unreservedly.

Pictures of my old Super 60s below.

Super 60 Squadron 2.JPG

Super Sixty.JPG

Nearly there.jpg

Edited by David Davis 2

Outerzone Lockheed Electra, very nice, rubber powered and free flight, very nice indeed. Twin electric and a sloper ?

Will get that one printed off full size plan.

The Vic smeed Electra looks good, it will be it's a Vic Smeed.

I have and RC paw 19 looking for a model. Was thinking of enlarged found centennial....

What ever you choose, learn how to start and run your paw 19. Model technic d1000, do not ( Do Not ) use an electric start !

You may consider a " wrap around cylinder warming blanket, electrically heated or similar, even a small "warm air" cylinder heater, particularly for colder days starting aid.

As said, learn how to start that paw, it's s but of an animal but a great engine like all paws.

Small fuel tank !

42 minutes ago, Rich Griff said:

Outerzone Lockheed Electra, very nice, rubber powered and free flight, very nice indeed. Twin electric and a sloper ?

Will get that one printed off full size plan.

The Vic smeed Electra looks good, it will be it's a Vic Smeed.

I have and RC paw 19 looking for a model. Was thinking of enlarged found centennial....

What ever you choose, learn how to start and run your paw 19. Model technic d1000, do not ( Do Not ) use an electric start !

You may consider a " wrap around cylinder warming blanket, electrically heated or similar, even a small "warm air" cylinder heater, particularly for colder days starting aid.

As said, learn how to start that paw, it's s but of an animal but a great engine like all paws.

Small fuel tank !

Okay, why the small fuel tank? Does it need to be small to feed the fuel?

Very good fuel economy, much better than glow, slowish speed model, not much engine speed/thrust needed to keep the Vs Electra, or super 60, or any other vintage style model aloft, so even for say a 15 mins flight ( or more ?? ), not much fuel needed so no need for a large fuel tank, so fit a smallish tank.

You will probably never run the paw absolutely flat out for long, if at all. You don't want to rip the wings off or have them "clap" ?

Learn how to start and run the paw.