Lite Weight filler

I may be so far behind the game thats its actually finished. I've been buying Model Lite Filler, usually around £9 or £12 delivered for 240ml. Today I discovered Screwfix No Nonsense Lightweight Filler at a Screwfix near you for £4.78 for 500ml. product code (75073)

Using my best 1970's Incomprehensive school! matriculation  I'm guessing that comes in at 15 -20% of the delivered Model lite price.

It is 100% the same product.

Yes like lot of products as soon as its repacked for modelling purposes the price multiplies. If you want a quick setting two pack filler that sets in about 10 min then try Ronseal Woodfill . Comes in white or biege sands very easier and is far lighter than car filler. 

A thinned coat of dope over the lite filler once its dried and sanded smooth firms it up as its quite a delicate finish. Its also handy for filling reaired foam as is the Ronseal ptovided its EPP  foam and not EPS. 

Posted (edited)

I use two pack wood filler.

I suspect very few products are actually model specific as that would mean researching and testing a product that would produce very little or any profit. However relabeling a product is a winner.

The Screwfix filler is 100% the model light product, have completed two repairs over the weekend one in  white model lite and the other in Screwfix light filler.

Same drying time, sanding, smell, texture etc etc. Did a further drying test one of each in the shed and in the house, same results.

Buy the Screwfix product and save yourself 80% plus, Not sure, splash out £4.78 as a tester.

Planning some tests adding PVA and Minwax Polycrylic

https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-lightweight-filler-white-500ml/75073?tc=VA2&ds_rl=1249416&ds_rl=1241687&ds_rl=1245250&gad_source=1&ds_rl=1247848&ds_rl=1245250&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhOSl16L7hAMVupNQBh1DBATSEAQYASABEgJp8PD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds#product_additional_details_container

Edited by Frank Day

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Andy Stephenson said:

I assumed there was PVA in the DIY filler that produced the rolls when sanding when it sets slightly rubbery.

Read the contents cant see PVA, im attempting to make both a little more flexible/sticky.

The rolls happen if filler is still damp under a dry crust, paper pulls the crust off the wet layer and causes the roll. I work in the construction industry, see it all the time when people rush or apply in thick layers rather than a couple of thin ones.

These lite fillers tend to dry hard and powdery and easy to sand

Edited by Frank Day
  • Like 1

Lightweight filler - just one of the products I used to buy from our local high street Wilkos.  It was almost like buying an empty box when you picked it up, but it seems to work perfectly OK.  Not tried the Screwfix filler, but I suspect it'll work as well.

I try never to use filler - any defects are fixed with a sliver or even a chunk of balsa and a spot of cyano.  Any dents in balsa come out by just a drip of water right on the dent and a little patience - disappear just like  magic! .

2 hours ago, kc said:

I try never to use filler - any defects are fixed with a sliver or even a chunk of balsa and a spot of cyano.  Any dents in balsa come out by just a drip of water right on the dent and a little patience - disappear just like  magic! .

Unfortunately a waft of steam wouldnt cut the mustard with this one, brown out and a vicious old bramble in a forest of brambles, two hours, loppers and brush cutter later

IMG_7159.JPG

IMG_7161.JPG