OLD LIPOS

Why naked bulbs ?

Even a 12v 5 watt bulb will get quite warm.

A 12v 21w even warmer/hotter, supply voltage dependant.

Go to breakers or halfrauds and get a bulb holder/lamp unit.....

I do like the idea of an upsidedown Belfast sink.....

• Confused 1

No 

11 minutes ago, Rich Griff said:

Why naked bulbs ?

No need for a holder. The discharge to zero takes place outdoors on a concrete slab.

• Like 1

On 06/04/2024 at 21:37, Stuart Z said:

Eric

It’s the salt that makes the current flow. 

The salt water method is totally unnecessary snd pollutesvwater with lithium. Just discharge the pack to zero over a suitable load then cut the connector off and twist the ends together, as bperthe BMFaguidance, dispose at the recycling centre.

see Pg14of this guide:

https://britishmfa.sharepoint.com/sites/public/Handbook Update/Forms/AllItems.aspx?ga=1&id=%2Fsites%2Fpublic%2FHandbook Update%2FHandbook%2C Gudiance %26 Codes of Practice%2FBattery Safety Booklet - June 2014.pdf&parent=%2Fsites%2Fpublic%2FHandbook Update%2FHandbook%2C Gudiance %26 Codes of Practice

Battery Safety Booklet - June 2014.pdf

Edited by MattyB
Corrected link

59 minutes ago, Rich Griff said:

Why naked bulbs ?

Even a 12v 5 watt bulb will get quite warm.

A 12v 21w even warmer/hotter, supply voltage dependant.

I do like the idea of an upsidedown Belfast sink.....

There is absolutely no need whatsoever for any form of bulb holder. The bulb is sitting in free air, supported by the leads, with a concrete slab beneath and the Belfast Sink planter above. I've no idea where you got the idea from that a Belfast Sink planter is inverted. It's just a convenient dry spot to put the discharging lipo under, whatever the weather.

2 hours ago, Don Fry said:

Caviate, I live in France. Am I missing something.. 

Down my local recycling centre is a steel bin for batteries. Any battery. I  asked the bloke, if it was Ok to dump a 5s 4000 in there. It was discharged, wires shorted together. He is God.

“of course” he says, “ but why the trouble to discharge it, we assume they carry charge, that’s why the bin is fireproof.

Because batteryvfires are now a frequent occurrence at recycling centres, hencevwhy we discharge the packs duly, to reduce the energy contained within them that wotlbdvbrvreeasedin a fire. It also reduces the risk of such a fire occurring in the first place because of an internaklshiet which is caused by dendrite growth whichhapoensfaster if the pack is charged.

Looks fine Chris, as a receptacle for the headlight bulb and assuming that the lipo is outside of the Kilner jar. In the early days of lipos some folks had suggested charging their lipos in a sealed Kilner jar, which would make a very effective source of glass shrapnel in the event that a lipo did "vent with flames", as the accepted term was back in the day.

Kilner jar is just for the bulb so I don’t get my mucky paws on it and will be left slightly ajar when the bulb is lit.Lipo is kept separate but on a metal baking tray when in the garden away from any flammable material such as the garden fence!

• Like 1

I see that the 4 Max disposal advice was published in 2010 so is even older than the BMFA advice.  Perhaps they would like to update it?

I don't have any of their equipment and I am not based in the UK. Perhaps a regular customer would be taken notice of.

Levanter

It would be good if they did amend that advice. The thing is that 4-Max's authority in terms of dispensing advice is viewed with such reverence that if they told you to discharge your lipos immersed in soya milk, whilst wearing a traffic cone on your head, a blindfold and with your left trouser leg rolled up above the knee, it would be accepted as gospel, so it would be nice if they didn't advise wrapping spent lipos in newspaper and putting them in your general waste bin for collection.

• Haha 1