40 year layoff

Yet another returning modeller after 40 years of flying 15mstandard class gliders, just about to start a phase 6 cf glider but slightly confused.
Intending to mount servos in the wing, but not sure if it is better to route wiring behind the leading edge or lift a strip of veneer then refit/fill and finish. Advice welcome

ray

Advert

Welcome to the forum Ray.

IMO in attempting to put the servo wiring immediately behind the leading edge in a foam wing you risk compromising the glue joint surface by which the leading edge is attached. Far better to use a sharp scalpel and lift a strip of veneer to cut a wee groove in the foam to go directly to the servo bay cut out. That can then be made good and the veneer replaced over the top for a virtually seamless finish.

You might consider fitting a 'ballast tube' through the foam core, although instead of using it for its intended purpose, run your servo wiring through. Should be able to easily remove the wiring through it in the case of needing to change a dodgy servo in the future. Easy enough to do with a sharpened suitable length and size of aluminium tube that  can be somewhat smaller in dia to run your wires through, over a what's usually needed for ballast slugs.

Just an idea, many ways to skin a cat. Trigger warning......I've never hurt or injured any felines when I've fitted ballast tubes back in the day.😁

Edited by Cuban8

I used to make a hole through the length of veneered foam wings by dropping a length of heavy gauge piano wire through having first heated the end of the wire to a red glow. Easy to make a guide with a plank of wood and some eyelets screwed in. 

NOTE - make sure the heated piano wire end can drop out and doesn't stay inside of the wing 😁.

Dick

• Like 3

I do almost the same as Dickw but cut out the servo position first & fix a piece of ply liner at the wing tip end of the void. I find that it's not necessary to heat the end of the wite to red hot.