2.4ghz compatibiltiy

Barry Taylor

Advert

Barry
   I too have your gear & would like more Rx's at a reasonable price Surely they are obtainable now ( & recommended by someone) & also a module for my Optic 6 gear Tx as well . I think Multiplex is coming out with something soon  ( I think they are associated with Hi- tec  who market my optic 6 gear)  Will be interested in replies from folks in the know  .

We'll have to wait a little longer I think .Things change so quickly don't they nowadays ?

Myron

I agree delta, went with futaba as I have the 35meg gear then realised my error when i found the prices of rx as opposed to spectrums. I have since bought a cracking deal mint Blade 400 complete with extra battery and few other bits and pieces £150 absolute bargin. So now not only got a great tx but also an extra heli to play about with as a bonus. There are better deals to be had on these forums and BMFA classifieds than on EBay.

It seems that I may be leaving my Futaba in the box and buying a Spektrum, if Futaba and its distributers do not get there act together.

I must emphasis my disappointment in Futaba, as it appears to be behaving like a monoply or a nationalised industry. I abhore abuse, I do not know if others follow the same concepts that I do. If an organisation behaves in a way which cuts across my ethics and believes, I only trade with them as much as I must in my self interest, all other times i go to there competition.

So it could well be, farewell Futaba, hello Spektrum.

Erfolg

More suppliers bringing out 2.4 sets and modules will drive the prices down, having said that it's unlikely another manufacturer will make a Rx to suit Futaba's FASST technology as the Rx's are basically digital units and much like the 35 mhz PCM Rx's only work with Tx's from the same brand and without having the source code it's probably not that straight forward to reverse engineer it and guarentee 100% compatibility.

Futaba (or Ripmax) do seem to be pushing the loyalty of their users though.

The Futaba strategy is probably to sell their Transmitters at cost (a one off purchase) and to mark-up the receiver, as the purchaser, once hooked, will in all probability buy several receivers.

Is the price that excessive? Its a quality piece of technological kit, completely stable from switch-on, can withstand the British climate and if correctly installed is 100% reliable whatever the orientation of the model.

The Futaba ICs are custom made and in the event of a cloning manufacturer being able to identify the source coding the resulting receiver is liable to be an inferior item.

>>

I have chosen the Spektrum route. I prefer to be locked-on rather than to be hopping around.

I am unable to show a Futaba receiver alongside the Spektrum AR5 receiver, so have shown the nearest I have to it. The valve needs very little persuasion to drift all over its band! (and it needs several thousand volts across its anode).

I have recently switched from 35 mhz to 2.4 ghz, as I fly from home and want to be sure that no toy cars on illegal frequencies are going to make my model plunge into my neighbour's house. I chose Futaba mainly because most of my radios have been theirs. I feel at home with spread spectrum as my first radio was also spread spectrum - it was 27 mhz super regen, so spread across the entire band available at the time. Is it any wonder I've always been a loner?

Erfolg

Re your comment on encoding, I think the main IC chip will be unique to the manufacturer (or will be a standard one which has been configured for that manufacturer), the Rx is then loaded with the manufacturers "firmware" which is a computer program which decodes the the digital transmission and then checks the signal is accurate and passes on the instructions etc.

This is how Spektrum were able to update their Rx's to eliminate the "brownout" reboot time on their initial Rx's. It's alos why Futaba had the issue with incorrectly coded Tx's where they had the same Identification Code.

But it means if anybody wants to make a Rx to work with FASST or DSM system they have to either license the code from the original supplier or write it from scratch and make sure it works 100%.

• 2 weeks later...