Customer service

Maybe its me but I never seem to meet these 'great, local shops who bend over backwards' that I hear so many other people talking about.

In my very short flying career (actually, haven't even started flying!), I've had to deal with a local modelling shop twice:

First time, I tried to buy a flight sim off their website but something was wrong with their PayPal setup so I couldn't pay. However, their website told me that I had completed the order so I would have to ring them to pay over the phone. So I do but they ring back a couple of hours later to say that my card was refused - I called my bank who said they could not see any attempt to make the payment and must be a problem with the shops machine. I called the shop back and they just kept insisting it was my cards/banks fault (even though I use that card all over the place with no problem). Eventually, I suggested another card which they took and that worked but I never got any apology for their frankly rude tone and the fact I was passed round about 3 people who all sounded like they'd much rather be off doing something else!

Second time, I called about the Spektrum DX6 problem posted on here. That link states that I can take the Spektrum to any retailer and they will pick up and deliver back the repaired item. Oh no, not my 'friendly' local shop - they've never heard of this recall, despite the fact they reckon the Spektrum sales rep was at their shop the day before. They just told me to call the company and confirm and then mail the item myself, direct to the maker. When I called, Hobby Shop (or whatever they're called) said they had sent out a letter to all their stockists over a week ago to point out the problem.

I realise I'm not spending a huge amount of cash with them (yet!) and maybe I shouldn't expect too much but they just need to sound sorry, rather than just annoyed at me wasting their time, and I would be happier. As it is, I will be looking for another shop to go too from now on...

Advert

Nope its not you Neil - I am afraid many many retailers of all types, have a long long way to go to even approcah what I call good service. There are however exceptions, and some do it vey well. Thses people get my business, and the others do not.
Simple really, vote with your feet.

PS I assume you mean DX6i transmitter NOT DX6 - this is a different beast altogether and is not affected.

There used to be a model shop in the South of England owned by a person who had a terrible attitude. It was only four miles from where I lived but most of the local club members avoided going there and went to another shop about 6 miles away. The window was full of the most expensive models, biplanes, and superb scale models that were competition standard, the glass cabinet that formed the counter was full of really expensive radio gear and large 2 strokes with tuned pipes, Pitts silencers and four stroke engines, I particularly remember a Tartan Twin there. (Nothing wrong with that, but not much good to the average beginner.) There was nothing basic on display at all.

Once, as she was in town shopping I sent my wife in with a short list of small items. The owner didn't know me at the time. She mentioned the first item and he said "He doesn't need that!" So she walked out. Eventually I needed something urgently so walked in the door, the owner wasn't there but his wife was sitting on a stool at the back of the shop, she smelt strongly of alcohol and could just about establish that they didn't have what I wanted. On another occasion I overheard him trying to sell a young lad who was obviously a beginner, the most expensive radio that he had. He wasn't open very long.

I went to a model shop while i was at my grandad's house to gt a universal drive shaft for my boat, it was quite a distance away, when i got there he said, you'll need a proper motor mount, oh thats the wrong kind of motor get this instead, ill give you that universal drive shaft piece for the new motor, not the one you asked for, him obviously knowing more about it than me, i am fed up with boats anyway, first time i took the boat out, the drive shaft's knurled teeth chewed up and it was unusable, i think it was in a place called faversham, i may be incorrect though

My first proper R/C was a fully kitted Easistar ,all that was needed was  charge the battery slide the wings in and fly.When it flew straight on and wouldnt turn I landed it.Took it back to the shop had terrible trouble convincing them Id bought it from them and when it was finally looked at it had blown a servo.When I asked why the servo had gone the reply was " I dont know what youve been doing with it" ! my reply was "I didnt know I shouldnt have flown it" " how much is a new servo  ? £13. I .bought the new servo.I then said "thanks for your help ,I wont waste your time buying from you again". I now buy from Galaxy and BRC so there in Ipswich and Newcastle and Im in Hampshire.I miss visiting a proper model shop and browsing though

i know the feeling,the day after the spectrum dx6i problem was on the modelflying website i rang the model shop that sold me mine and they said  "we don't know anything about it mate,we've had no trouble with any we've sold, we wil check yours if you want but there sometimes a load of b------s on the Internet  I pointed out that it was from spectrum themselves but it made no difference,shan't be going there very often again!

I must agree with your points. With SMC I have had 4 of 4 orders sent without or with the wrong thing, BRC has had 1/3 of orders with something wrong, although I forgive them because of the simply exquizit advice they had been giving me for each one. I find the best thing is my local model shop - EM Models in Tonbridge - which is very freindly, given me lots of advice without the "oh, you have to have this because it's the most expensive - sorry I mean best" stuff that you seem to get told in other places. Their only problem is that they never quite have what you want.

I've been using SMC for 3 or 4 years now, no problems at all. Any delays they let me know by email. My worst experience has been with Al's Hobbies who not only seem happy to mis-sell products but don't apologise or offer to put things right, other than refunds.

Worst case of bad attitude came from a model shop about 25 miles away, i'd just spent about £200 there, a few days later i phoned for some advice and was told 'i'm not going to waste my time giving you advice if your not going to buy anything'. 

I must be lucky to date.

I use Giant Cod, BRC ,Robotbirds, United Hobby and Tendarni. All have been excellent, one problem with Robot birds.

Tendarni were great, in that non deliveries were corrected.

Giant Cod, have also been very good.

Never a problem with BRC.

United Hobbies have been the best, though, by a whisker.

My main concern is that my local shop could not survive. The customer base never seemed to reach that critical level. The shop was well stocked. But did not have everything. Service was good, tried to be responsive.

However go mail order, especially with United Hobbies/ Hobby King and you can get any and every thing. Pity that the pound has bombed, now less than $1.4 to the Dollar. Who said a week currency is the sign of a week goverment. I wonder who?

Erfolg

I moved house around 6 years ago & visited my new local model shop to check it out & look for a new local club. The owner runs a model club, but wouldn't let me join as to quote ' you can already fly, have all your own stuff & won't buy a complete new trainer outfit from me' Needless to say I did'nt buy anything & now buy most of my stuff from shows,Ebay & other online shops, saving myself a small fourtune in the process. It was/is his loss as I do spend a fair bit on this hobby & normally get all I need from the above sources.
I am now a 'country' member & while I miss some aspects of the old club, I don't miss the bickering, pettiness & sheer obstructiveness of some members,  but that's another story.

I am frankley suprised at some others expierences. I have found most shops if not all, quite good.

As for club members, it is just like any group, some are easier for you to get along with than others. I do however sympathise with those who find some club officials tiresome. Yet again, many keep the club going, others take positions, it seems, because they could not get a burocratic position, which would pay the wage.

I do generally agree that the inter-net has been most helpful, to me as a modeller. Again buy and large the businesses do quite well. It can be quicker and cheaper to buy on line, than to travel several or more miles to a shop.

For those who have a good model shop, with competaive prices on thier door step, you lucky beggars. 

Erfolg 

three cheer's for dave watt's at southern modelcraft-who i have'nt seen for a few years-last time was at elvington/york---this lad was/is one nice fellow to buy your fuel off---if anybody reading this know's dave-give him my reguard's.................

ken anderson ............

I rang 4 or 5 model shops last week trying to get hold of a copy of Phoneix RC Sim, not one of them had it, and the best they could do was to tell me to ring back this week.  Blinking cheek I thought, so I told each one, if you want to do business with me you can  ring me, when you get your stock in, and I told them first come first served.

My nearest one rang Tuesday so I nipped over there and brought it, the other 4 have still not bothered to ring me to see if I need a copy!  I would have assumed if one has just got some deliveries in of the SIM, others must have too !

Just sums up business attitudes you generally find here in the UK, they don't actually care if you buy from them or not !