Spend a little enjoy a lot.

Owen Hailey

Hi all new modlers.

PLease do not get sucked in to the big pond, of if you spend a lot on a model it will make the hobby much more enjoyible, us oldies did it on a budget years ago, and it was fine if you just want to have some fun, doing a little flying for fun, do not get suct in to this spending spree, I have all ways enjoyed flying on a buget and looked for low cost ways of doing it, there is a school of people out there who are taken in by the need to spend vast amounts of money to impres or such like, do not go down this road till you have leant the basics of good old fashoned flying by the seat of you pants, and this can be dun as cheap as chips if you no what I mean, so go on spend a little enjoy a lot.

Happy Hovering Owen.

Advert

Owen & Simon
Couldn't agree more .Isn't it about creating something not just buying it & showing off with the biggest & best ? We're not consumers -We are creators ( or us lot  were ) Please read my thread about designing a Bi-plane -  I don't want to buy one -Just create it !  If all the model shops shut I would still be making the next project !

Agree 110%, there's so much more satisfaction in making as much as possible yourself, and especially in finding new uses for odds and ends that would otherwise be thrown away. Most of current model is being built from scrap wood, some of which I've had lying around for over 30 years.

I echo the thoughts above. I've just spent the weekend doing some simple mods to my MCX to give it a bit of individuality as I like to put my own stamp onto things. I've trimmed the canopy and tail to give it a sportier look along with a new paint job. Total cost zero! And, now it looks less like a toy and more like a proper heli, and I knocked off half a gram of weight too.

My next project is to do an autogyro conversion using "Little Nellie" as my inspiration.

Will try to post some pics soon.

Steve. 

Couldn't agree more.

In brief a bloke last night at our indoor meet (  I had never seen him before ) was dropping hints how good all his mods where on his very exspensive heli. He sort of gave me a down the nose look as I was setting up my friends cheap - but first heli which he he asked me to test fly because he was to nervous.

It flew very well and only needed a few minor ajustments and he was overjoyed  that he had built it himself and it flew so well for his first real heli.  As we were bending over the model there was an almighty bang behind us. Followed by all of us being hit by flying disintergrating heli parts.

I didn't look up but just commented that is was a Shame that it had happened.   Apparently it was our friend who was muttering "something went wrong" and promply left with a bin bag full of a expensive heli bits.  Something did go wrong - the most expensive isn't always best -learn to fly properly and know the limits of your heli.

As Owen has commented - Was I impressed !  I'II let you be the judge of that !

The trouble with helis is that unless you spend enough you get a rubbish flying model or a contra rotator. I'd rather save my money and go for something that will expand my abilites rather than restrict them and potentially cost more money in spares. I also prefer to enjoy my flying which i find i do much more when i'm flying a good machine that i'm not constantly fighting.

Aint that the truth. I made a policy some time back to never buy any model that I cant afford to lose in puff of smoke in seconds..... or see sinking beneath the waves. When, as most of us, disposable income is limited, you have to wonder just how some folk can spend the obscene amounts that they do.

cheque book modelling is a saying i've heard on more than one occasion-----i think most will agree- if you scratch around to aquire the stuff in the first place you will get the most pleasure from it--but there is a certain camp that seem's to think that by throwing dosh at the hobby is the way to go-four figure sum's for a toy plane is nothing nower'day's--right/wrong who is to say--what go'es up must come down-tend to agree with timbo-you have to be prepared to lose/crash and set fire to the wreckage occasionally---when you point this out to new starters-sometimes their hair stands on end.......................................
                         ken anderson.... 

Nothing to do with ability to fly it - ANY model can crash for a myriad of reasons unconnected with flying ability. I consider my self a pretty good flier, but would still never contemplate spending 5K on model, knowing that a radio failure, or airframe fault etc could see it burn itself to nothing in seconds.

I think you would be silly to fly a 5K model without a backup radio system. This shouldn't fail in the air and having spent that much money its worth getting testing equipment to make sure everythings working correctly.

To be honest, who spends 5K on a model anyway apart from show pilots or jet jocks who are good enough on the sticks and with the equipment to fly it regularly with sucess.

I would spend more money if, say, entering aerobatics comps or looking to expand my ability as flying the right machine, disregarding the cost, will often give the best progression