winchweight

• 7 months later...
  • 7 months later...

If I swap from laptop to PC then I have to log in again, to me that suggests that the site records either the ip or some element of the machine's ID and if this changes then the site asks you to log in. Another unique aspect of the site software and wierd security(?LOL!) protocols.

I can sometimes go several weeks without having to logon here. At other times I need to logon every day.

This is assuming I only use the one device to access the forum - if I logon from my phone, laptop, work PC etc. then I always need to logon again on my main PC - that behaviour is at least predictable and understandable.

What I've never been able to work out is why I didn't need to logon this evening (for instance) but have had to most evenings for the past month or two or longer...

It's a while since I last worked with PCs but we used to have an option to dynamically assign the IP within a set range or to use a static IP. I wonder if some ISPs use a dynamic IP and the site software doesn't like it changing? I can't think why else I never need to login except when using a different PC.

Posted by John Privett on 01/05/2018 19:06:06:

What I've never been able to work out is why I didn't need to logon this evening (for instance) but have had to most evenings for the past month or two or longer...

And again, this evening I've had to login again. I've not accessed the forum on my phone, laptop, work PC, or any other device since I was on here last noght. Random!

Bob - many (most?) of us will have PCs on a local network with a router connecting to the 'net. On our local networks the PC's ip address will often be assigned using DHCP and can be different from day-to-day. Or it can be a fixed ip address. In either case, it doesn't matter - it will just be a local ip address like 192.168.1.nnn.

What this website (and all others) actually sees is the ip address the router is connected using - in my case at the moment it's 80.189.19.23. That too will usually be assigned via DHCP, and will usually not change for several days or even weeks unless the router is restarted. Some ISPs offer static ip addresses too.

[EDIT] And after rebooting the router and getting a new - completely different - ip address I still remain logged-in here. 

Edited By John Privett on 02/05/2018 20:27:51

And some devices John, hack away incessantly trying to crack logins, some humans do it too

I always feel that there has been an effort to crack my accounts when I have to sign in to the low level security non monetary accounts

I do not believe someone is actually sat there doing it, but I do believe devices are set to crack such logins

Posted by John Privett on 02/05/2018 19:21:34:
Posted by John Privett on 01/05/2018 19:06:06:

And again, this evening I've had to login again. I've not accessed the forum on my phone, laptop, work PC, or any other device since I was on here last noght. Random!

Bob - many (most?) of us will have PCs on a local network with a router connecting to the 'net. On our local networks the PC's ip address will often be assigned using DHCP and can be different from day-to-day. Or it can be a fixed ip address. In either case, it doesn't matter - it will just be a local ip address like 192.168.1.nnn.

What this website (and all others) actually sees is the ip address the router is connected using - in my case at the moment it's 80.189.19.23. That too will usually be assigned via DHCP, and will usually not change for several days or even weeks unless the router is restarted. Some ISPs offer static ip addresses too.

[EDIT] And after rebooting the router and getting a new - completely different - ip address I still remain logged-in here.

Edited By John Privett on 02/05/2018 20:27:51

That sounds about right John, we had issues connecting to our PCs from home out of hours, and to client's networks using our company PCs unless we used static IPs, which put our setups in conflict with company standards. If they only see our router it beats me how they can tellI'm on a different PC at home - unless they are using cookie timestamps for reference.