Budget 2.4Ghz FHSS for under 40

gliderpilot01

Ultimatey -   I feel you were a little harsh on GP1. As a newbie he asked for advice and you tried to make him look stupid and as you have not posted to the contary I believe you have no knowledge about the planet product to which he was enquiring about and therefore had no reason to post.  Maybe I am wrong, if so I apologise but it appears that way to me.

Moving on........

I know GP1 personally and although he is a newbie to the forum ( I introduced him to this one) he is not a newbie to flying, is a club instructor, always helping others at the flying field and all round decent chap. He evens subscribes to RCME!

Having flown my GWS 109 he  has bought a GWS foamie Spitfire( to dogfight my 109) and was just enquiring about the  new cheap option for 2.4 which he had read about in the mag  associated to this forum.

My foamie has BRC esc motor battery servo's. Not a Hacker/ axi JR, top dollar battery. AND so do most peoples. Slightly inferior products but up to the task in hand , and that is what he and most of us wants.

Advert

I don't go online for a few hours and look whats happened!

2.4 on fuby can NOT be shot down by some one else as the tx and rx are bound to each other by codeing and its the same codeing for each rx wether 1 or 25 from the same Tx. so me turning on will not interfere with bob's 2.4 fuby or specky next door.

Back to the topic in hand

Spoke to Gary at Galaxy in ipswich today (great shop. go if you can)
and asked him about this new planet range of 2.4. he has tested the set in a elec gliuder till a spec in the sky, and in a ic fun fly type and both flew to well beyoned what he called "normal flying range" and the manufacturars are stateing that it IS full range. even got to hold the one in the shop and it feels well............ like any normal TX. so for £40 all in for shockies and the like, hell even a decent sunday hack what more could you ask for?

Sorry Andy but how can anyone answer questions about equipment that is'nt yet available not only that but GP01 did'nt even name the gear in his first post. I have no psychic powers or connections to RCME I don't subscribe to it or any other magazine. sorry for any offense caused

Glider Pilot01 has very kindly scanned and emailed me the ad for the gear which we are dicussing here on this thread .
The ad does'nt go into too much technical detail, it does say it's five channel non computerised switchable between modes 1 and 2 it does'nt say whether there's any servo reversing available and obviously being non computerised there's no mixing available. There is a simulator socket but whether this doubles as a trainer socket is unknown.
            I suppose that providing it does what it says on the tin and gives you control of your model at the stated price it can't be bad and it stands comparison with the 5 Ch set just released by Spektrum.
               The only thing that would concern me if reccomending it to a newcomer would be that pretty soon, if they're half serious about aeromodelling, they will be spending more serious money on a more capable set of gear.That's about all I can say without actual "hands on" experience of this gear.
                    Big thanks to Chris Gliderpilot01 for taking the trouble to get this to me and appologies if I initially ruffled your feathers
                                    Cheers Brian

Edited By Ultymate on 28/03/2009 10:56:44

I Know What you are saying Ultymate about the fact that pritty quick, if you do get into the hobby you will need a better Tx, but for £40 for your first Tx and Rx on 2.4 it aint as if you are forking out too much. The only issue i can see is as a first Tx, while you are learning, is the need or facilaty for a buddy lead and is it compatable with any of the other sets ie buddy lead to fuby or speky?
Only time will tell if its 1. any good
                                       2. will stand the test of time

You never know they my have a 9Ch set out in june for .........£60..................................... would be nice but I doubt it.

No idea about the equipment in question, but the model matching "subthread" (that's a way of trying to go off topic without the mods noticing ) is interesting.

I was bemused by people telling me you couldn't fly the wrong model on 2,4- including our club examiner in the middle of my A, when I could see no reason why not.  Guess what- I fly Futaba.

Whilst the ability not to fly the wrong model is obviously very useful, there is a benefit to Futaba's system too that hasn't been mentioned.  You can swap receivers between airframes.  Probably a practice that is frowned on, but as mentioned (and therefore right back on topic Timbo) these receivers aren't cheap- a Futaba 617 is about £70.  Count your airframes, multiply by £70 and expect a night on the sofa!  With my set up I whip out the receiver, move it ito the new plane and change to the correct model on the TX for a perfectly set up plane.

I could be a bit smug and start going on about S.M.A.R.T. meaning anyone that flys the wrong plane isn't flying to basic safety standards, so model matching is a waste of time.  In truth it might save accidents, but the Futaba system will save money.  It's your call as to which is the most beneficial.

Thread seems to have faded off anyway Andy  -so no worries about topic drift
And why can you not swap Rx between models on the Spekky system?
I have done it ( but only whilst I waited for the dedicated Rx to arrive - its not a practice I do as rule )
OK so it involves binding the Rx back to the Tx model selected - but if one uses the 3 wire Spekky harness, and retains the battery power in another Rx socket, its a 30 second job.

I also have a particular model where I actually do the opposite as it were - IE change the model from being controlled by one Tx to another Tx - this takes 30 seconds also.
I have the battery ( UBEC actually but thats irrelavant ) permanenetly connected to a spare Rx channel. In the Rx battery socket I have a normal servo socket with 2 "outside" pins connected via a short cable length to a small non- latching "push to make" switch mounted so that the push button is external to the airframe. To swop Txs, I simply push and hold the button which puts the model Rx into bind mode and "do the binding" on the Tx.  Each Tx has a setup stored for that model, and this never alters. Once bound ( circa 15 -20 seconds ) I go fly!

Edited By Timbo - Moderator on 02/04/2009 17:18:59

Ah, I was under the impression that you would need to re-set up the model each time.  Even so I lost you at about UBEC!!

Would you accept the Futaba system makes it easier to swap models- no extra electonic bits needed.

There seems to be a definate mind set though- you cannot fly the wrong model with 2.4.  That could in itself cause accidents.

Andy not sure on Futaba sets but on Spekky sets, the throttle failsafe position is set when you bind the Rx to the Tx, so when you swap your Rx over from one memory to the other, if the new memory has the throttle reveresed the failsafe setting will now be full throttle. Probably best to re-bind when you swap over just to be safe, or at least test the failsafe position.

I second that, well said Ultymate.

At the end of the day whether speky or fuby you can swap Rx over if you want.
Thats not in question. The only piont i will make is the the "model match" feature on Specktrum is an exrta saftey feture and this at the end of the day can Not be a bad thing! Saftey should be paramount to every one. I have used Futaba for the last 10 years and have only just changed over to 2.4 and i went with Specktrum, two reasons cheaper Rx's and the model match, I just liked the extra saftey feature.

I agree that M/match is in theory a good move but like so many things one has to tread carefully. Picture this you have M/match on your Spektrum but the in lets say your capacity as an instructor ( I don't know whether you are)  you then have to instruct a trainee with another brand of gear are you religiously going to remember to check model memory before flying I know for a fact that last season only a few weeks after myself switching to 2.4 and thus negating the need to extend an aerial I went out with a trainee of mine and you've guessed it forgot to erect his 35Megs aerial on his Futaba 10C (2 aerials). This is the selfsame T/X that I use on 2.4, luckily when the model reached it's much reduced range I quickly realised my mistake and retrieved the situation by erecting the 35Mhz aerial. My point here is that sometimes what appear to be steps forward can in themselves prove stumbling blocks to the unwary. So confessional over I say this safety is a frame of mind so "Lets be careful out there".

The best bit about these cheap new DSSS and FHSS is that the RX and the TX module form the entire 2.4GHz radio system.

Like the old 35MHz boards you just feed the PPM data and power to them, with the odd Bind button switch and they do the rest. Most even auto-recognise the +ve and -ve PPM styles of the different manufacturers, you just need to make sure the PPM signal is about 3v (peak) for reliability.

Making it rather trivial to for instance upgrade your RD6000 or FF7 etc to 2.4GHz by replacing the RF board for the 2.4GHz module.

Assan even make FCC and EC approved 'Hack' modules for this purpose. These include the PPM level resistor divider/buffer and the stepdown 5v regulator.

Many people have used the Flysky model (HobbyCity/Turborix/iMax etc) modules for this and they work perfectly, as long as they are fed 5v power (from the donor TX's regulator) and 3v (peak) PPM signal.

Instant 2.4GHz as good as the original radios with your familiar computer radio.
35MHz computer TXs are suddenly much more interesting again as they suddenly become 2.4GHz systems with £10 six channel receivers...

If you really want to keep mods to a minimum simply plug a training lead from your computer radio to the 2.4GHz system and use the 2.4GHz to broadcast to the RX

Edited By Globs on 08/04/2009 23:16:32

Good post blobs, and this is the reason that I see hard times ahead for high priced traditional RC vendors.

With the RF side reduced to a commodity  what's left in a TX?  Some good quality switches and gimbles for the sticks, power regulator, lcd display and a microprocessor and its software.

None of these items adds up to the IMHO exorbitant cost charged by traditional vendors.  Watch for Chinese manufacturers to take on this market in a race to the bottom.  If a vendor made their system open by allowing access to the programming software then I think they could clean up.

There will still be a market for the high priced traditional market, witness hi-fi systems, but the majority of us will benefit from much cheaper systems.

Graham