Members Map

paul@scc

Advert

Posted by Allan Bowker on 30/11/2014 13:58:08:

I backed up the data a few months back, maybe I can do something with Google Maps?

More than likely Allan. I've done some simple stuff on our club website with google maps. Also the BMFA club map uses google maps, and I think that's very similar to the members map (if I remember it correctly!)

Edited By John Privett on 30/11/2014 17:02:29

• 5 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

---REPOST DUE TO FONT SIZE ISSUES ABOVE---

Hi Robert
The original map was global and included the US.
Unfortunately the service was taken down, possibly due to costs.

I still have the original map data, however I'm struggling to find a mapping service that would work for our purposes at no cost.

For now all I have is this link where the data was moved to:
RCM&E Forum Members Map

My problem is that Google only seem to give read only or full edit access.
I need to find out how I can moderate submissions to the map to avoid any malicious editing.

Martin,

It does show your location...Cockernhoe….perhaps you were in free flight mode that day!

PS rough location is okay with me, I would rather not have something like Google or another looking through my front window all be it I am probably been tracked by my phone anyway...now I wonder where I left that?

Hi Chris

Agreed, for security it was recommended that the members placed their pin in the general area so as not to make them a target for theft. All pins were manually added by the forum members and was not automated or created from harvested data. It's important that participation is down to each person to decide.

Would be nice to open the map back up if I can find a solution to the editing access problem smiley

RCM&E Forum Members Map

Hi Robert, thanks for your interesting question.
For me the aim of the map was to be fully inclusive and not split the forum in any way.
The map is easily navigated and zoomed into your area of interest, wherever than may be.
smiley

Sorry, I missed one of your points:
Anyone could add a point to the map, member of the forum or not and even if they only read the magazine.
I think my intentions were to illustrate our local and global communities.

Edited By Allan Bowker on 30/12/2019 14:10:10