Jamara 2.4 GHz module competition

Advert

Mine finally arrived....plus the huge Jamara catalogue.   They do a 6 channel rcvr for the module, but not at £65.  Their rrp is 69.90 euros, so it could be discounted less than that in the UK.  But oh no, you'll be asked for £74.90 over here.

Can any of you try it with a Spektrum or Futaba 2.4 rcvr?  I know it's not recommended, but you never know, it might work.  Otherwise it looks like ebay.

Hi Pete
No mine are now firmly ensconced in the top drawer of my office cabinet.until I can get Rx at a reasonable price?
Where did te catalogue idea come from I didn't get one with eiter of my parcels??

P.s
Does anyone want to swap a JR module for a Futaba one.I can put one in my FF& I think?

Kiind regards All
Pete (2 modules) Kent

So in summary loads of people have been complaining about not getting a prize that they didn't even want and had no intention of using.

So why enter?  Because it was free, and presumeably to bang it on ebay and try show a profit.  I read the post from the one person that actually needed one of these and he seems very happy with it- delighted in fact as it's let him move to 2.4 which he couldn't otherwise do.  Let's hope there's no one else out there in the same boat that's missed out because a load of people jumped on board simply because it was a chance to get something (anything) for nothing.

I would agree that the company has let themselves down here, but the undignified scramble for free tat is unseemly.

Posted by andy watson on 25/09/2009 11:57:10:
So in summary loads of people have been complaining about not getting a prize that they didn't even want and had no intention of using.

So why enter?  Because it was free, and presumeably to bang it on ebay and try show a profit.  I read the post from the one person that actually needed one of these and he seems very happy with it- delighted in fact as it's let him move to 2.4 which he couldn't otherwise do.  Let's hope there's no one else out there in the same boat that's missed out because a load of people jumped on board simply because it was a chance to get something (anything) for nothing.

I would agree that the company has let themselves down here, but the undignified scramble for free tat is unseemly.

Amen.

Some emotive stuff from Andy Watson, but bear in mind that many of us were fully intending to use the module if we won.  Sour grapes maybe?

I personally entered the competition because I was a 35MHz user and wanted to get into 2.4 without incurring the expense of buying a new transmitter such as a PCM9.  I have a perfectly good 9XII.  The Jamara module seemed a good idea at the time- and if I won, well so much the better.

When the competition clearly descended into a farce, I lost interest in the whole Jamara system for two reasons:

(a) You can't seem to buy the receivers anywhere (except Germany it would appear) at a reasonable price- a simple Jamara receiver is much more expensive than a similar Spektrum one.  There are very few UK stockists.

(b) Because the whole event dragged on- even after being told I had won (I was pleased to win) I felt that Jamara clearly couldn't come up with the goods- and if this is the standard of their customer service, I certainly don't want to risk my expensive models on their system- I would feel I had no back up if it all went wrong.  They didn't even respond to my polite e mail (written in German) asking when we could expect to receive the prize.

Now the module has arrived, I am still pleased to have it, but I feel it will not get much use now- I bit the bullet and purchased a Spektrum module while I was waiting (potentially forever) for the Jamara product to arrive.  I will probably sit on it and either give it away to a friend who would like it or sell it.

Posted by Timbo - Moderator on 25/09/2009 12:09:23:

Amen.

andy,timbo and all the rest have valid complaint's/point's of view reguarding why they entered-if they had won etc.....myself included...i think the killer blow in this case apart from the delay in getting the prize is the price of a rx  to get up and running-fair enough a module of your choice for nothing......but £80.00 for a rx is top wack.........are'nt the RCME competiton's an undignified scramble for free tat as well ?...........

ken anderson.............

Edited By ken anderson. on 25/09/2009 18:10:59

Checking around I'm told that Gliders are now offering a 6 channel rcvr for the 2.4 Jamara tx module for £69.99.  A good move for them.

So, you can get a full 2.4 set-up for a penny less than £70, and the Jamara rcvrs will accept Futaba and JR servo plugs.   To me that seems a very good deal indeed.......a potentially happy ending for the winners?

I wouldn't really consider it very good for the moment, there are very little reviews for these sets, for all we know they could have terrible range and fall apart in the sky, this is mainly why i don't like getting things early on in the development, also the prices go down after a while!

Maybe the receivers are expensive because they spent a lot working on them and want to make a quick profit but i am sure in the next few years they will go down in price, i'll stick to my spektrum unit thanks :D

@John Norman, it isn't actually a full 2.4ghz set, it still requires you to have a transmitter capable of having removable modules, and these are incredibly expensive so in my opinion, it isn't really a very good way of getting into the hobby.

The main reason i entered was because i have an old JR transmitter with a faulty module and i may have been able to put this in it and test it.

Received my module today along with a catalogue.

Now i realise a few people on here got a bit excitable regarding how long it took to arrive. I am pleased with it. Owt for nowt and in reality there is no such thing as a free lunch! Jamara were late on the scene and needed some market penetration. 

A quick google suggests that some of the 'Merkans rekon it is simply a rebadged Assan module and as such there is no reason that I can see that one of those Assan rx should not work. Looking here  they seem to be using the same model number T8F as on the module i have recieved.

Anyone who was "lucky" fancy a punt and doing some tests?