MP's.....(bless 'em)....

Tim Hooper

So why all the surprise?

Were we all so naive so as to believe that these self-motivated career politicians, who  crawled and connived their way into Parliamentary politic's were actually paragons of virtue?

All the current furore has done for me is to re-establish my faith in nature of the self-serving sociopaths that we elected (for want of anyone better).

tim (steps off soapbox, and heads out to flying field......)

Edited By Tim Hooper on 15/05/2009 13:56:30

Advert

Maybe we should remember Oliver Cromwells words to Paliament just after the second civil war...

"It is high time for me to put an end to your sitting in this place, which you have dishonoured by your contempt for all virtue, and defiled by your practice of every vice; ye are a factious crew, and enemies to all good government; ye are a pack of mercenary wretches, and would like Esau sell your country for a mess of pottage… Is there a single virtue now remaining amongst you? Is there one vice you do not possess? Ye have no more religion than my horse; gold is your god; which of you have not bartered your conscience for bribes?… Ye are grown intolerably odious to the whole nation; ye were deputed here by the people to get grievances redress'd, and are yourselves gone… In the name of God, go!"

Not much changed in 400 years then...

I am afraid that its human nature, if there is a system then people are going to use it to  their full advantage. The trouble is that they are the same ones that decide on the system in the first place. They should be on the civil service system after all they are servants of the country and the electorate.
my two pence

I was just thinking about MP's salaries that I agree up to a point should perhaps be more so that they don't have to fiddle expenses .How about a bonus system just like bankers ? In other words as Dire straits sang about appropriately " Money for nothing & your (perks )for free " I think not after careful deliberation
G-UMPY

I think it is an absolute scandel and they should all be locked up, but on the other side of the coin if I was in for 5 yrs with a chance of being out would I do the same, more than likley. Its not the fiddling that has hurt them its getting caught. We need Henry VIII back Off with their heads
Garry

Why do M.P.'s need to keep travelling backwards and forwards to London? It's 2009 not 1899 and all their business and voting could be conducted over secure (laughs) videolinks!
I once had to travel a 60 mile round trip by car to explain a 4p discrepancy in my expenses.

There's an old adage that maintains that 'absolute power corrupts absolutely', and I think that holds true here.

Even if an individual enters politics for all the right reasons initially, I'll bet the opportunities to feather ones own nest are just too tempting and easy to take advantage of.

You'd have to be very high-minded indeed not to be tainted by the gravy-train that beckons so seductively.

I'm not really sure that I'd be immune to the charms of that particular siren-song. 

Would you?  (Rhetorical question, that).

tim

There is one MP who so far has not been mentioned. However he has so many directorships of different companies that one wonder how he finds time to be an MP.

When you write to him, all hne does is pass the letter on to someone else and then pass the answer back.

I once read that the people who want to be the government are the people least suited to the job, those that are suited will not do it.

Worrying, isn't it