Exhaust Gasket for SC.46

ScotDance

Advert

Go to any motor accessory shop and by silicone instant gasket. THis is a tube of silicone sealant. Just apply it and tighten up the silencer. the excess can be wiped of, inside it will just blow away. The silencer can be removed easily as it doesn't actually stick.

I use this on silencers, backplates and round the neck of fuel tanks to seal the fireall.

A quick call to a local gasket supplier (type gasket paper into Google) might get you some offcuts....thats what I did & got a piece about 8" square which will last me ages. Alternatively Just Engines will sell you an "official" gasket for the ASP motor (2 for 98p in fact!!!) which is exactly same as the SC & has the same exhaust port dimentions (as do OS etc) here Scroll down, find the ASP40/46 & use the drop down to find the gasket (bottom-ish of the list!!)

With great respect to Peter I've never got on with the silicone sealant method for exhaust gaskets....the mating faces are just too small. I find a proper gasket works best & lasts longest....

Easy Gaskets

1.  Scan the exhaust manifold into your computer. 

2.  Adjust printer settings to print actual size.

3.  Print out a few times on the top half of an A4 sheet.

4.  Fold the sheet in half under the printed part (print to the outside).

5.  Open the paper out and lay printed side down on a flat surface.

6.  Use an old credit card or similar piece of plastic to squeegee out High Temperature Silicone Gasket Sealant onto the back of the printed area and the corresponding blank area opposite, ensuring that you work the sealant into the paper leaving just a thin film on the surface of the paper. The paper will become translucent and the colour of the sealant will show through the front of the paper.

7.  Fold the paper with the coated surfaces innermost and smooth out any trapped air. 

8.  Place a pile of your treasured RCM&E's on top of the sandwich and allow to cure for 24 hours

9.   Cut to the printed outline of the manifold. Use a suitable sized sharpened tube to punch out the screw holes.

Keep a set in your flight box and if needed you are ready to go with no waiting for the sticky stuff to set.

Gaskets made in this fashion have outlasted the manufacturers gaskets, some still holding up after 25 years.

hello scot-i use the same method as peter-silicon obtained from tropical fish shops-make sure both face's are dry and apply a thin coat to both-nip them up and bingo---i also put a dab on exhaust mounting nut's stop's them vibrating loose........

ken anderson...........

I've always made 'em by sticking the paper(quality writing paper Basildon bond etc.) on the component  and gently tapping around the contours with a piece of softish aluminium alloy .The edges make a perfect shape & holes can be done similarly of course . I only ever "Gasket Goo" on one side so that the component can be removed easier should the need arise ( common event on exhausts especially )

• 2 weeks later...
Hello Scott. Dont bother with a gasket as it will keep compressing and allow the muffler to come loose or even fall Off. Use a thin bead of epoxy but make sure the theads on the bolts are oiled. It makes an oil tight joint that wont come undone until you want it to. It also allows more heat to disipate into the muffler casing unlike a gasket that is an insulator . When yu want to remove the muffler , remove the screws and give the muffler a sharp tap. Always remove any old epoxy before refitting .

Regards

E.D.

• 2 months later...