The Cafe

Former Member

Advert

Posted by Bri. on 15/09/2010 11:19:07:
Went to buy 1litre of petrol at £1.12.9 gave the attendant £1.13 but dint get any change is it legal to price it the way they do?

What alternative is there?  They can hardly forbid you to buy any quantity that doesn't come to exactly an integer amount of pennies!

If you were concerned about getting your money's worth you should have bought 1.00089 litres rather than 1 litre.  Though since petrol pumps "only" measure to an accuracy of about 1%, the extra 0.89ml would be lost in the measuring error which could be up to 10ml...

Edited By John Privett on 20/09/2010 21:36:23

Terry,

Under part P of the regulations any qualified electricians carrying out the work has to be registered to certify the work or notification to the local authority is required, then they issue a certificate. This applies to bathrooms, kitchens and external wiring to garages and such. I have just had to notify for a kitchen rewire and change dis board to RCD's, with a separate supply to the garage. To answer your question  I would imagine 6mm would be required.

Cheers,

Chris.

Hi BB does that mean that when I unplugged my old oven and plugged in my new one I was being a naughty person!!!Had a bit of a day at work,with my collegues.Noticed some cars still dirty from before the W/E, then  my collegue brought someone else in on a deal that I feel will delay things.I was then into a sale with a customer when same collegue butted in and took the deal over..He then wanted £100 commision onthe sale of a motor cycle at £495.Then I found to of them cleaning an engine with a hose,when the particular car had had electrical problems all week.I then had to remove the plugs,WD 40 everywhere whilst I explained to the customer this was part of the sevice.Of course they had left the engine running whilst it misfired,the ECU registered the misfire so the engine management light came on .The  black coachwork now had dry water marks all over it.So I had to leather that down,and then Scanner the engine and delete the fault codes,all part of the service Sir,he seemed impressed at our bumblings.Finallywe had to Asian guys turn up for  thesaid motor cycle and hand us £50 short,even though we counted it in front of them they still clamed it was right.I thrust the money back  in his hand and said it wasnt enough.2 minutes later they were back with £500,thanks.I then caught someone trying to sell his car to a potential customer.when  I told him to leave and take his car with him,he claimed to have done nothing wrong and that I was being rude.But after all of that we had a good day--go figure

Hi Stephen,

I'm not sure if the reg's apply to appliances, and I suspect not, only fixed wiring and the supply. Even the LA were not sure, but it still cost me £138 so I can notify them when the job is starting and they will come and inspect it when it's done. As I've had a new boiler fitted in June, I'll probably fit a mixer for the shower and do away with the power shower.

As for work, I told the boss I'm cutting my hours back to three days a week, yesterday. Not sure how I'll do it but will probably retire and go back 3 days on a consultancy level. Since my heart attack my energy levels are down to zero and I'm not sure I can keep up full time.

Cheers,

Chris.

Know the feeling about energy levels Chris,my staff lack it,and are younger than me!!.I had a problem with the police recently,a potential customer was caught by a speed trap doing just over 30 mph.They didnt buy the vehicle.I received a speeding ticket from the police and informed them I couldnt give the customers name and address as I didnt have it.I was taken to court,when asked how I was pleading replied Not Guilty.When I explained that under the Data Protection Act as thedriver did not become a customer,it is against the act to keepthere information.This totally confused the court because know on knew enough about the act to tell if I was right or wrong,so the case was dropped..

I once went to look at a house for sale, I liked it and was prepared to buy it, but something felt wrong about it and I paid out for a full building survey. Amongst other faults there was a power shower in the bathroom, not earthed. 
Also somebody had put in a large second cold water tank in the roof, over  the very wide stairwell, nowhere near the walls and on very small joists. I decided not to buy.

Posted by Terence Lynock on 20/09/2010 19:42:35:
Anybody know what size Twin and Earth I should use for a 9.5 Kw shower? I need about 30 feet,

regards.

It would depend on how it was running, ie open on a wall, or contained within a cavity, or alongside other cables

It would probably be better to use 10mm as it is a long run.

Make sure you have an earth leakage / RCD installed, and take care with the positioning of the pull switch.

Also check all the pipes are properly bonded (including radiator/towel rail) in the bathroom

I8 years old, first day in new office job. 11 am. went into washroom, somebody had left a set of weightlifting equipment on the floor.

Curiously picked up smallest set of barbells,  weights were not secured to bar.

Round weight slid off, onto porcelain washbasin, completely demolishing it.  The hot and cold taps were left there swaying gently on their pipes.