FSST 2.4 RX

Delta Whiskey

Advert

help needed - i've won one of the jamara 2.4ghz one that they are given away in the free draw's(futaba) it say's-am i correct in thinking that it will work with futaba receiver's on the fasst system??-at present i only have / use 35m/h gear..

ken anderson.....

There does seem to be some good news at last. Due to the quantative easing in the USA, and the apparent need to do more (seems the Fed is as incompetant as our exchequer, according to financial experts), the Dollar has fallen against the pound and is expected to fall further. Horray!!!!!!!!

This should mean, many imports reducing in cost.

Apparently Japans production is in free fall and it is being suggested that export prices will have to be eased, if unemployment is not to increase, as markets harden against Japanese exports. Hopefully Futaba prices will fall. If they do not many economists are anticipating that Japenese market share will continue to fall.

As there appears to be real competition with 2.4 products. Futaba needs to respond, or they will join all the other manufactures that we vaguely remember. Swann, Fleet, Space Commander, Cannon, Airtronics, Royal, to name a fraction.

So Ripmax? start seeing the writing on the wall, or it will be "ALL OVER"

Erfolg

Myron

I think you are quite right. The JRs and Futabas rely on us , feeling comfortable with higher prices.

Yet the competion from Spektrum is very real. Sanwa was once a major UK brand, yet a combination of policies and products has seen it all but disappear, certainly as a major player.

People such as Schultze appear to add value by providing additional functions, such as altitude and speed etc. The other end of the market offering standard products, seem to get the pricing substantially lower, yet quality is not compromised (in general).

Times like this often see those chasing the unrealistically high returns fail. I hope that will not leave me with a Futaba that is dinosaur, a dodo. If Ripmax were to fail, another would pick up there share of the market. I believe it is in the interest of the UK distributers to drive a sensible bargin with the manufacturers agent, for all their interests. The USA seem to do this better. 

Apparently I am scheduled to go to the USA, later this year. That is where I will buy my Futaba 2.4. That if the financial pundits are correct and the Dollar continues to fall.

The good news is that the Chinese are reluctant to buy USA Government Bonds, which means apparently that the Fed uses quantative easing to buy back its own bonds, to put paper money into the USA economy. Apparently though the B of E does the same, as not enough institutions will buy our goverment bonds. We need a new government to strenghen the pound.

Erfolg

My Futaba receiver has no CE sticker.

The transmitter has the most unimpressive "CE" on a pathatic stick on disc of paper, with a crossed out dustbin, with a Ripmax sticker adjacent..

I guess that receiving equipment requires no type approval, other perhaps of how to dispose of it?

My old Futaba has"SMAE/MHTF type approval, then ERA code" much more impressive.

Erfolg        

In the current financial climate and looking to upgrade .  Im feeling that Spectrum are looking all round good.  So I may be switching Futaba to Spectrum, so too are many others I gather !

Edited By Basildon Biggles on 05/06/2009 15:45:39

• 2 weeks later...
Why can't you UK guys just order the Futaba Rx from a US supplier where according to the thread prices are considerably cheaper than in the UK? 

I just order another 2.4 Rx from Tower Hobbies for $99 US and with promotional discount get free postage.  No Customs duty will be payable as it is private import under $500 NZ.  Price of RX to me will be approx $147NZ.
( Hobby shop in NZ catalogue price $261 NZ.  Sorry hobby shop, the price difference is just to great. For interest, the catalogue price of a Spectrum 7 channel Rx is $199NZ)

Also I believe the Futaba FAAST system to be the technically superior 2.4 system.  Models are expensive and time consuming to construct and set up, an extra few dollars spent, if it  reduces the likely hood of a radio problems and a resultant crash or lost plane is money well spent in my book.  It is easy enough to crash and loose a plane even when everything is working as it should!

Cheers

David

What evidence do you actually have that the hopping system is better than the 2 fixed channel system David ? I am sure Spektrum would have some thoughts about that claim - I am not being biased or argumentative incidentally, just curious
Furthermore, are we absolutely certain that imported US specification radio gear is compliant with EU regs - I know the transmitters are not, but I guess the Rx is a passive device and so should be OK?

Edited By Timbo - Moderator on 19/06/2009 10:36:58

I have heard that, ( from Futaba users of course  ) but never really figured out the logic - I know basically how it works, and this does little to convince me its "better" ( whatever that means ) The frequency hopping system seems more complex to me, and relies on some extremely fine tuning and synchronisation of internal clocks runnning very fast between the Tx and rx...just sounds very complicated to me - KISS I say
However, they are not alone in choosing this method, so there must be a reason- unless of course its purely commercial. As for it being less likely to crash your model than the Spektrum DSS all I can sya is that I have had literally thousands of flights of all sorts of models on my Spektrum sets and not one single problem at all.
Proof of the pudding as they say......

Edited By Timbo - Moderator on 19/06/2009 20:11:45

From a non-expert user perspective, it seems to me to be more sensible to shift frequencies in case of bad interference on a particular part of the 2.4 GHz spectrum.  I do agree that the record of Spektrum has been extremely good (rx problem excepted) and there doesn't appear to be any suggestion of this type of problem....

...yet.

However, my concern is whether this situation will continue if /when many more uses are found for the "free for all" 2.4 GHz band.  With more and more manufacturers jumping on the bandwagon, will they all comply with the standard?  In fact, according to widely held opinion that I've read on the net and other sources, Spektrum are not compliant with the standard themselves - at least in spirit.  The intention was that at least 16 channels should be used for frequency hopping to allow use of 100mW.  I'm told that Spektrum have argued that because they monitor multiple channels before permanently selecting 2 for the session (which apparently could possibly be adjacent and therefore more prone to swamping by interference) the authorities in most countries have accepted continuing use of their equipment.

Having said all that, there's a tremendous pool of satisfied Spektrum owners and I do believe that Futaba prices in the UK are having a negative influence on sales of their equipment, borne out by observation of the number of long term, previously very satisfied Futaba users who have bought Spektrum.

The Futaba FASST vs Spektrum debate looks set to continue. It seems to me that many people believe in the "technical superiority" of Futaba's system purely because frequency hopping sounds like it should be a better idea!

Whatever I've heard, read or been told, I don't KNOW enough about the subject of 2.4mHz transmissions to fully understand what's involved here - and I suspect that I'm not alone.

With FASST transmissions, as I understand it, the transmitter generates a pseudo-random "seed", which is then used by an indentical algorithm in both the transmitter and receiver to pre-determine the sequence of the channels to be "hopped" through. Note that the sequence of channels is pre-determined, and not selected "of the fly" (no pun intended!) whilst taking into account channel availability. Still, this seems fine and dandy, until we ask ourselves what happens if the next channel in the sequence is too "noisy" - and the next, and the next, and the next etc. Once again, taking an extreme example, with no other channels in the agreed sequence found "clear", the FASST system must logically remain locked on the last free channel it found! So much for "hopping".

I could argue that at least the Spektrum has the forsight to find a clear channel, and a backup channel before it gives you control of the model - rather than rely on the probability of finding an array of clear channels at some time in the future!

Of course, it's never going to be that straight cut. We could read every scientific and technical paper we can find on these technologies, but even then we'd still have to take into account the implementation of that particular technology by that particular company. If we take this argument to the n'th degree, we should question the relative competence of the programmers who wrote the firmware code! We've already seen mistakes by both companies so far - Futaba transmitters shipped with, or reset to,  the same internal code number, Spektrum receiver "brown out" problems.

In reality, there is no doubt that both systems work well enough for other factors to be biggest players when it comes to determining how many pieces we get the model back in after the flight.

Me? I use Spektrum DX7's - but would, and probably will, happily use Futaba in the future.  If I do, it will not be because of any supposed "technical superiority" of their FASST sytem, but because of the switch assignability and programming options.

Must close now as the nurse wants my crayon back....

Posted by Clem on 20/06/2009 00:25:00:

Me? I use Spektrum DX7's - but would, and probably will, happily use Futaba in the future.  If I do, it will not be because of any supposed "technical superiority" of their FASST sytem, but because of the switch assignability and programming options.

I think Clem has pretty much hit the nail on the head here.

I do believe, from what I have read, the Futaba system is at least as good as the Spectrum.  I can't be bothered hunting out all the tests people have done, but my general feeling is both Futaba and Spectrum tend to come out on top.  From there the 2 systems are either identical, or a small edge to the Futaba system.  I would like to add 2 important comments to this though.  I suggest some incidents of "radio failure" are probably due (at least in part) to operator error.  The other comment is that if a difference is detected under test conditions this doesn't necessarily translate to any kind of noticeable difference under usual operating conditions.

What is far more important for a user to consider is the switch assignments (for experienced users) or what others at the club use (for inexperienced users).  Being able to easily buddy up with people will be more important than a small performance difference to a trainee.

It looks to me like Futaba is concentrating on higher end systems.  The 14 channel rx is well distributed, but there is nothing less than 7 channels widely available.  Spectrum, in contrast, seem to cater to simpler systems with 5 channels being common (as far as I know!).  Since most small sports fliers have 4 channels- this is overkil on the Futaba system- and inevitably adds cost that is redundant in many planes.  Futaba could address this gap in its range.

Having said that I have just bought the 14 channel 6014 receiver for £100- which I think is a fantastic price. 

Well, by saying I thought Futaba FAAST was superior technically to the Spectrum 2.4 system I was not implying there was anything wrong with with either system or one worked 'better' than the other system.  Perhaps 'technically' is the wrong word to use, a better or more appropriate word or phrase may be  'in radio principles' or 'in theory' .
I arrive at that conclusion as it appears to me that there is less chance of a R/C Tx 2.4 transmission signal being blocked by a stray 2.4 signal. when the transmission is moving continuously as in the Futaba FAAST system, as if a stray signal should block a transmission it is only for a fraction of second and would probably not even be noticed.  In the fixed 2 channel Spectrum system there appears to be a greater chance of  stray signal blocking out the transmission, even if it is remote chance.   Every day there seems to be more and more equipment operating on 2.4gHz, from wireless computer networks to cell phones to cordless phones and goodness what else.  The proliferation of this equipment surely must increase the chances of a blocked signal with either someone using standard equipment near the flying site or using equipment that has been modified to increase the operating power and range,  probably illegally, but people still do it!
It is acknowledged that both Spectrum and Futaba 2.4 are really good R/C systems and are an big advance on previous systems.
The point made in the forum that FAAST system is more complicated hence use the Spectrum system is irrelevant to my thinking, as both system are very complicated computer operated systems and both will either work or be in the need of professional repair.  Neither  will respond to home tinkering to get them working if faulty. It is not as if there are little men running around changing the FAAST settings or even an electric motor spinning a disc or something to achieve the change in settings that can fail or get tired, both Futaba and Spectrum rely on dedicated I/C chips to operate, and these devices either work or they don't work.
I believe the Spectrum has the superior feature of not recognising a receiver unless  the Tx is set to that model, avoiding trying to fly a model using the wrong model set up.  A great anti crash feature for flyers who are not concentrating.
These sites are worth a look as they show clearly the difference on how each system operates.
FAAST :  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWH8KkXhHY0
Spectrum :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ElKP6tu8z4
I use Futaba 2.4 but would be equally happy with Spectrum / JR 2.4.  My brother and flying instructor used Futaba so that is what i purchased too.  This discussion is all a bit like the debate on car brands or the best beer, no one will ever agree.

What about private imports of Rx into the UK from cheaper overseas sources, are you UK guys able to do this?  (As per my previous post on this forum)
Cheers

David