A Cert???

Tom McDade

A club I used to be in insisted on the A before anyone was allowed to fly solo. I gave up eventually because during their training sessions on Sat afternoons I was lucky to get 2 flights. This was because of numbers and instructors wasting time fiddling about with pupils engines to get them running reliably (I fly leccy). Also I often had other commitments on Saturdays and during summer evenings if the weather was fine I got fed up ringing round trying to get someone with a B to go there with me. What finished me was seeing our club chairman (B cert) take off and crash because he had wrong model selected on his Tx. I joined another club with a more sensible attitude, been happily flying there for 2 years. I'll take the A when I feel ready not because I have to. Remember this is just a hobby!

Advert

i hate the nanny state but being part of a club of like minded people who are willing to help others learn to fly a model aircraft or helicopters so they can enjoy  flying instead of filling black bin bags to me is a no brainer the clubs i am a member of insist on an A cert but that is for the safety of the pit pilots who are watching those flying. if you think that by flying in a club and doing your A cert you won't be able to wring your model out, the idea is once you have gain some level of safety you can fly like a hooligan but in a manner so as not to damage yours or other peoples property and wellbeing. also club sites are generally better places to fly no public around unlike a local flying area which is common land it is not uncommon to find people walking dogs playing cricket ect down the strip while you are flying. just bite the bullet join a club learn to fly put the money you have saved on the non crashed planes towards something nice in the future and have some fun the club banter is excellent.

Hi Guys, I think we have to be adult and responsible about all this.
Our toys can be lethal weapons.
There is no argument about this. If we do not apply sensible self regulation, then the interfereasorases will do it for us, and we will all have to sneak out at dawn for a quiet fly before the fuz are up and running
ernie

No one appears to have seen the latest BMFA changes to the rules in respect of the "A" certificate.   After Jan 1st 2010, any model weighing less than 1Kg, cannot be used for taking the "A" test.  From that statement I assume you were able to before that date.   Therefore, on that basis I expect there will be discussion at many Clubs where you are not allowed to fly solo.  The question is; should a pupil be allowed to practice solo with a model of less than 2.2Kg between lessons, if he/she feels able to do so??   Surely it is far safer to fly on a designated flying field for which you are a fully paid up member than a local Park, with non-flying people in the vicinity.   Eric.

1Kg  2.2Kg

First post, the question is,

"I am brand new to flying....so much so that absolutly everything is new. My question (which will be easily answered I know) is what is an A certificate and why would I need one if I am going to fly?"
I think this has been answered fairly well, even though a minority have a negative view of it being usefull. The actual weight of the lighter model is only as relevant in the individual clubs' juridiction as the club wishes it to be.

Come off it Myron!

The flying element of an A Certificate involves taking off, flying left and right hand circuits, and a horizontal figure of eight, all at a more or less constant altitude, a simulated landing and a real landing.

If you can't do that you're not safe!

You'll be banning driving tests next....

Edited By David Davis Telemaster Sales UK on 19/12/2009 09:35:16

david you are missing myrons point he can easily do the A (as per 99% of us could)  BUT HE OBJECTS, the reasons are for him decide on but that is his choice and thanks to the fact that we do not live in a nanny state, he is able to make that choice and fair play to him.

the debate of the A cert system has been done to death, but what this or indeed any other training scheme does is to help improve standards and help the club deal with the councils and bureaucrats that they have to deal with time to time, combine this with the fact that it really is a very simple test i personally don't see the harm in it.  some people do !!

if a club runs a scheme where a test is required to fly solo, and you object to this way of doing things then don't join it, or try to change it democratically.  if you do not wish to do this then fly on your own or find an alternative club !

• 4 weeks later...