A Cert???

Tom McDade

Advert

Whatever floats your boat!
I am returning to modelling after a lay off for a few years. Is there an A certificate for glider flying as well as power? Or do I have to get one of those oily / smelly / loud things? I did try power a couple of times, but the instructors always made me feel like a bl**dy nuisance. Agree with you about slopers though - mad as a box of frogs but really nice guys.

I've been flying models for more years than I care to admit to, but took a break after the wife passed on, then got into bikes and somehow never got back to the models until this year. I rejoined my old club, but have found it totaly cack - they fly from a farmer's field, but the grass is 2 feet high so it's hand launch only. I want to get my Acrowot up, but it's impossible from this site, so I'm looking at two other clubs in the area. Both clubs ask for 'A' certs to fly solo, so I guess it's a matter of swallowing my pride and accepting supervision until I get the green light to go solo. With the weather we've had lately, I've not yet visited the sites to meet my prospective clubmates, but I do find the proliferation of rules and requirements intimidating.
Maybe I should just get the slope soarers out and head off to Burton Dassett -hmm, "mad as a box of frogs", I should fit right in there.

Its simple really, the "A" Cert. is the equal of a C.A.A "solo". It means that you are capable of flying a model within a tested safe limit.It certainly does not mean that you are an instant expert. Look in the B.M.F.A. manual as you will have to to and you will see that it is only a certificate of achievement like the "B" it is not a licience and should not be treated as such. The test itself is quite simple,my last two students went from,No fixed wing hands on,to "A" Cert in Three and Four weeks respectively. Get yourself down to a club,meet the instructors and learn to fly properly, but above all SAFELY.

Do we get a choice of colour for our cotton wool or does it all have to be the same to stop others feeling intimidated.....It seems everybody wants to have the authority to have a pop at the next bloke. I had a chap come up to me on a deserted field and grill me about what frequency, and qualification I had and all the stuff anoracks love to "check" up on....(he made a point of telling me how qualified he was...although he didn't fly that day) I've made up my mind. No cert' for me and I'll use my own very common sense and fly just as safe as if I had one.

I have the same issue with clubs.

I have been looking for one locally but most seem very cliquey(?), one looked pretty good but they fly by frequence - each pilot having his own frequency.
True this is not a bad idea but when you fly planes on different frequencies (I have 5 with mine) it means new crystals, maybe a full set for all the planes and possibly 2 Tx ones too.
The others are very much stuck in their commity ways of doing things.

I just want a nice open field and to fly which is why I will stay as a park flier for a while longer.

I have found a group of flyers who are not a club but have the use of a good field. I have now flown there twice and enjoyed the experience, and while there are only a few fliers the frequency control is by discussion which works fine and in exactly the same manner as I use in the park.
This gives a very relaxed approach to flying and is mutually very supportive of each other - there being no hierachy involved.

I seem to be in the same class as Tom McDade - been flying R/C since early 1970s. I'm entirely self taught and started by what nowadays could be considered the hard way - single channel "bang- bang" rudder only control with a converted KK Chief. I have no certificates and had to learn to fly power after joining a club which was mainly C/L when other members asked me to test fly their power models after seeing me with two channel powered gliders...

For me, a "power on" landing was much more difficult than "dead stick" - with gliders, every landing is "dead stick" - you can't open the throttle and go round again...

Malcolm

My start was much the same just slightly later.

My 1st radio was a 3 channel Futaba Medallion (still got it!) and a 2 channel 100" wingspan glider on a bungee launch in the late 1970's.
Joined a local bunch of like minded modellers (not a club initailly)in a field miles from anything and learned by passing the Tx from instructor to me and back again.

Now flying electric models and an electro-assisted 100" glider. I too struggle with power on landings, mine are all deadstick although I have been known to extend the glide with a short trickle of power in higher winds.

• 2 weeks later...
I have just seen part 8 of the A test in RCM&E,I just do not want to do it ,I have a problem being watched in a test situation all the fun has suddenly gone out of my hobby.
Why not have the test in parts or be observed over a period of time.
I do not mind the Questions but the test it is like learning to drive all over again.
I'm going to lie down for a while:-(

Kelvin,

Unless you belong to a club where such tests are mandatory and you KNOW that you can make the model do what YOU want it to do, land it where and when YOU want and fly safely, coping with unusual/unexpected situations/conditions - particularly if members of the Public are around - you DON'T HAVE TO DO IT.

There is a drawback though - unless you have the "B" certificate you will be unable to fly in competitions or even at some "Fun Fly" events and some venues if again there are members of the public in attendance.

Having said all that, I do support the BMFA or other schemes which aim towards competence.

Even though I have never taken a test, I have taught a number of people to fly.

• 4 weeks later...
I have just done my 'A' test, can't see what all the fuss is about, the examiner put me at ease and the test was over before I knew it.

I think it is a good thing to do if you are part of a club, because you know you have the skills to fly confidently and safely around others. If you are going to fly by yourself, then don't bother, but also don't expect to be allowed to fly around other modellers.

I also learnt on a buddy lead and it saved my plane on the number of occaisions that I got into trouble. Its meant that I now have the money to go and buy my next plane to develop my flying.

Rob

Why on earth to people consider the a cert scheme , the nanny state? Sorry but the link is pretty thin to say the least. 

Im entirely self taught but also responsible for site safety at a public site. So many begineers put themselves and others at risk by simply not having a clue how to start, control or fly a model and neec some kind of structured programme to follow to learn.

Following the BMFA guidelines is a good idea to ensure you dont end up hurting someone. A  good club will make you feel quite welcome and help you, not stop you enjoying the hobby.