E-flite Sea Fury

Olly Giles

I've tweaked mine a little after establishing a couple of reasons for the noisy motor. 

Firstly, the prop was making contact at the bottom of the cowling so the prop adaptor has been adjusted to provide clearance.

Secondly, the motor mount had loosened up on the mounting stick. A smear of epoxy to thicken the end of the stick and left to dry now has the mount seated securely. I replaced the 1.5mm self-tapper with a 2mm. No movement now!

The motor housing under the cowl seems to make a very good sounding box so any noise seems to be amplified.

Finally, I've added 8g of lead to the nose - now 52g in all - and she's flying much nicer, ta.

Pete

Advert

• 1 month later...
I flew my Sea Fury for the first time this morning out here in Los Angeles. The plane was very tail heavy so some weight was needed in the nose. The plastic retracts did not want to stay in the lock down position on landing. I am thinking that was due to the plastic parts. I adjusted the E-Flite servos as much as I could with a better servo arm and adjustments with the transmitter. I love the look of the plane but for flying enjoyment I will have to go with my Parkzone Gunfighter Mustang with a 40 ESC, 2200 battery and a T28 prop. Both planes flew about the same but the Mustang was a bit moe stable and I like the quality of foam better in the P51.

I have one, flying with 400w on a 3S. It is ballistic, giving the club stryker a run for it's money.
unless you fly off concrete, ditch the retracts. not worth it, and just do not work on grass. not worth the weight penalty, and bendy wire legs just cause it to flip over.
Hand launches easy, and belly lands real easy. (ditch the missiles too).
No need at all for rudder (with no retracts), leave the weight off.
Great flying plane, but a little pricey for foam (compared with GWS), but i am in New Zealand, so we have greater freight costs.

• 2 years later...
Hope they've also addressed the attachment of the plastic underwing servo/retract cover plate, I put some blocks in the wing and secured mine with small screws as the double sided tape didn't work.

That aside they are a great little plane and fly really well, mines over 2 years old and still going well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Hi i clicked on Davids link and found an anomaly on Horizons webpage In the second para under the picture it says retracts optional but in the features section, top left, it says they are included. Checked with Horizon today and they confirm retracts and rockets are included so order has been placed however heard today delivery now delayed till January. shame as now i will probably get socks instead of a kit for Christmas!!

Mike

Following my latest adventure with my EPS Sea Fury here, I'm interested to see they've re-released an EPO version.

I'd agree with many of the points mentioned above but, apart from the different foam, from what I can see, E-Flite don't seem to have addressed any of the weaknesses I've found in regular use.

The undercarriage is particularly weak on grass and needs to be re-bent after each landing (no, my landings aren't always that bad! ). I gave up in the end and removed the u/c to save some weight.

Belly landing on grass is straightforward but the 2-blade prop (which invariably seemed to stop in the 6 o'clock position!) exposed the following problem.

The stick motor mount I found to be weak, with the stick loosening from the foam initially, and on several occasions the motor became detached, bursting through the dummy engine cylinder moulding.

I eventually replaced it with a ply double bulkhead, the rearmost glued to the foam and screwed through to the refitted stick, with the motor mounted on a front ply former using beech stand-offs.

I changed from the 10 x 8 2-blade prop to a 9 x 7 3-blader, which didn't significantly affect the performance (about 310W) but, since then, I've had no problems with the prop breaking the mount.

The underbody/wing tray attachments (velcro/double-sided tape) really weren't good enough and I ended up with a combination of CA and clear tape to seal the gaps.

They've kept the same ridiculously tiny pilot, which is a pity.

Apart from these issues, I thoroughly enjoy flying this little model and I wouldn't want to deter anyone from buying one - it's great fun - and when it stops raining here, I'll be out with it again!

As David says in the other thread, I've certainly had my money's worth out of this one!

It looks a bit better without the enormous tailwheel!:

Pete

• 3 months later...

Having always liked the Sea Fury and read the forum re Eflite's version I decided to buy it when it was re-released. Back ordered from AMain Hobbies it arrived a month ago including an Eflite Park 480 & two digital servo's for retracts. Thought I would decide on the other servo's when it arrived. So found HXT900 from my spares bin fitted no problem, didn't see any point in using Eflite servo's except for retracts. Hobbywing funfly 40amp esc & Hitec 6 channel rcvr.

First thing noticed was no double sided tape anywhere as shown in the manual, but have a supply of commercial tape which seems to work well although hasn't flown yet. Next was the great gangly tailwheel strut and the tailwheel which was severly egg shaped - both replaced.

The rest of build went ok except when it was time to fit prop & spinner, Agh the prop adaptor is not long enough with only the prop mounted there is only two threads exposed! Not enough to hold the prop on let alone mount the spinner & supplied washer. As for the spinner cheap as it is, it's a counter rotating one? So am waiting for a reply from Horizon Hobbies in the States about that.

I know it's not an expensive kit but having read good reports about Eflite thought the quality control would be better. The finish of the EPO is not up to same standard when compared to FMS, lots of injection mould markings all over!

I also have reservations about the strength of the motor stick mount (Extra epoxy rqd?) plus the landing gear as I fly off a grass runway.

The Eflite servo's buzz madly when the retracts are up. EPA makes no difference, any ideas?

When I get the prop problem sorted will see how she fly's then I may add some detailing, but for the moment we await Horizons reply.

Tim Aspinall

Kiwikanfli Downunder

Hi Tim,

I agree with Nigel about the retract servos - digitals twitch and hiss at the slightest provocation and I'd be tempted to move those to the ailerons and use the HXT's for the retracts. The u/c is light enough to work quite comfortably with plastic 9g servos and I never had a problem with gears stripping - it was the wire bending on each take-off and landing!

The motor stick mount just wasn't up to the task and I've ended up with a larger ply plate glued and screwed to the stick mount stub and and the bulkhead foam. This ply plate had beech spacers glued and screwed from the rear before mounting and the motor is mounted on a ply plate screwed to the bearers. This plate is removable for maintenance purposes. An arrangement like this would solve your prop clearance problem, too.

Motor re-installed

I'm disappointed to hear about the problems you are experiencing. As I said in an earlier post, E-Flite had the opportunity to do rather more with the re-issued model than just change the foam material.

I was flying mine earlier this week and it is still a lot of fun - you'll enjoy when it is sorted! teeth 2

Pete