Where have my messages gone?

Advert

Well it's curious. I've just asked our web tech about this and they've told me....

....a message is really just a single row in a database table with a FromMemberID and ToMemberID number in it. So basically if EITHER of them choose to delete the message then it will disappear from the database for both of them. Messages will disappear from his inbox if the sending person deletes them from their sent box

Which isn't very satisfactory yet I can't see why I haven't had many many more complaints till now. Anyone else noticed this? 

Edited By David Ashby - RCME moderator on 03/08/2009 13:48:43

Can you send me your contact details again - I'll save them elsewhere.

I have top tips learnt last week:

Don't relocate a factory, go to a different internet hosting provider and spend several nights away from home when your wife is 6months pregnant - nothing quite works out the way you planned it.....

An update from our web-tech chaps who've got straight onto the issue 

Messages are now only deleted when both parties have asked for them to be deleted. If only 1 party deletes them, then the message is in fact not deleted but just hidden from view. 

I wasn't aware I must admit so my apologies to anyone who's wondered why their messages have disappeared. All should be well going forward.

• 11 years later...

I followed this and got an email when Basil posted so it seems likely that it's not a general problem.  Martin, perhaps your emails are being sent to a different email account to the one you normally use?  Could you check which address you are using and that it's the same as the one associated with your profile - mr******t@*~*net.com?