Building the Nijhuis Lysander

• 1 month later...
Advert

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys

I’m just about to start my Lysander build and I will admit I am novice at building aircraft , I’ve put a couple of ARTF’s together, and have built a few boats using the keel, frame and plank method, I believe (X-fingers) I can do this, I’m looking forward to the challenge.

I’ve bought the CNC/Wood pack, Vac forms and plans from Tony, and have a new SC 52 four stroke and most of the radio gear. I’m still gathering the materials I need, Tank, Spinner, Prop, U/C & Wheels etc. I’ll get these as and when necessary. My livery will be as a target tug similar to RCAF 2363, but it will be red and yellow as I already have of red oracover.

I’d like the get my build methods planned out as much as I can before I start, so I’m hoping that you will be able to answer my questions.

The instructions for the engine say fit a short length of pipe to the crank breather and add a few drops of light oil occasionally. If the pipe is not fitted is it going to spray gunk inside the cowl, all over the battery? Again if not fitted do you have access problems to this? If it does spray have you fitted the pipe and where have you exited it through the cowl?

Thanks

Hi Mogs,

just attach a length of silicon tube to the nipple and have it just dangling out the rear bottom of the cowl so you hardly see it.

Not to much comes out of the SC engines.

Make sure you cover all the wood in the firewall area and lower fuse area with thinned epoxy or similar to fuel proof it prior to covering, and seal all covering material edges with epoxy.

Make sure you build the tail end really light, any solid wood parts make, and then hollow out to form a shell, or make as a sandwich with hollow insides.

Darryl

Hi Mogs, I too am starting to build the Lysander. There are some great images on the web. Just Google Lysander and look at images. I've bought several bits, spinner, wheels, 3 blade prop etc, so, just ask if you need to chat.

I've got the fuz started, I'm working on the UC, which I 'm trying to mould from carbon fibre, and getting all the holes in the right place on the firewall. I hope to detail inside the big cockpit, so it'll be a whole winters project

ernie

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All, I am about to build one of these beautifully ugly flying machines and have been wading through this thread (25 pages so far).

I wonder if anyone has any instructions or the article from RCM&E I could get hold of, quite willing to pay for them and postage etc.

Looking forward to the build, so much good info here and from what I have read a great team of builders.

Clive

Hi Ernie, yes that works perfectley many thanks.

At present I'm mainly interested in things that need to be modified from the plan etc. I am studying the plans and what I can find on the net and making a list of things to change or how to do it.

Its a long time since I scrabuilt and need to get my brain around whole thing again, different mindset to kit and ARF...........

I will certainly take you up on your kind offer, if you have a list of build threads etc that would be a great start for me to research.

I'm building this because my wife fell in love with it at a scale flying day and its not an aircraft that you see much of at any field.

Clive

Oui Clive, bonjour it is

It's not even nearly finished, I'm taking it slowly over the winter. The Fuz framework is nearly done, I made a carbon undercarriage as a wee experiment. Also, I'm trying to get as much detail in the cockpit as I can, so, I'm making some changes there. I got the cowl,spats, canopy pack last week, so I'm busy trimming the spats and cowl, while I watch the awful French TV (It's freezing in the workshop at night)

ernie

I have not got any of the kit yet, that will come after Xmas as the freight is 100 pounds (A$160) quite expensive but I cannot find Lizzy anywhere else.

I actually contactedrio to see if he had any of his U/C left, he said he would look and send me one if he does.

We are just coming into summer so the fan and A/c are working to keep the workshop cool. Our TV is not much better here in Australia.

Well when I actually start building I will probably have a few questions to ask you

I would be interested to see your cockpi detail when finished.

Cheers

Clive