My Lysander Build Log!

• 2 weeks later...

Well I`ve spent the last few weeks on a very interesting build of the Westland Lysander, it is now waiting for me to make a choice on which motor for electric power?>>

I elected to do it the hard way and manually cut out the parts using a jigsaw upside down in a workmate. Using photocopies of the parts spray tacked on to the wood, this was obviously more time consuming, but that is not a commodity that I am short on these days, and there is the added satisfaction of almost a complete build. The 6mm for F4 & F5 was accomplished by cutting these out twice from 3mm ply and joining. Wash out was `left out`, because there is the option to do that on the plans, and I wasn`t sure of my abilities to get that right!>>

I have yet to send for the canopy and wheel spats, but that is imminent. I would like to make the canopy removable, but as the wing support rods appear to go through the upper part of this, then I am unsure how best to accomplish this, or make out of balsa in separate sections to enable access to the parts of the fuselage that I require (if that makes sense?)>>

You know when you get one of those `eureka moments! (or equivalent) My mind was far away from model aircraft and all of a sudden the answer came about the canopy...........and of course it`s all in the plans as everything is, just needed to look a little harder. Brass tube and not the rods are `glassed` to the top of F4 & F5 the rods are off course passed through the canopy and tube and into the wing roots. My assumption without looking properly was that the rods were to be a permanent fixture on F4 & F5.>>

I don't know what it's called but I use the type of board that is used to make up notice boards as my building board. This is the type you often see in schools which allows you to pin notices to the board with drawing pins. I've glued mine to a piece of chipboard to give the pins something to bite on..

You should be able to find some in any timber merchant. It comes in 8'x4' sheets but they'll cut it up smaller if you need a smaller board. 

Lol, i got my remote glow from moors models coincidence? it was an absolutely brilliant shop! I'd say 4x the amount of stock crammed into half the space of our local hobbystores, every type of fuel tank you could need, millions of pilots lots of little fittings etc, if it wasn't so far away i would love to go there all the time

I found the 11/32 brass tube easy enough to obtain, the carbon rod was difficult to get hold of in that size (8mm) however I managed to get of 8mm fibreglass rod from http://www.ecfibreglasssupplies.co.uk/ Normally it comes in one metre lengths, but he kindly cut it down to lengths of no more than 14" for easy posting, and it is a lot less expensive than carbon, and almost equal in rigidity and strength as carbon, and a lovely snug fit inside the brass tube. >>

• 1 month later...
Yeah basically, the rungs are 1" wide so i am claping it either side of a bit of 1" MDF. It has been made out of threaded pushrod so i cam bolt it onto the fuse and so it can be removed incase i need to transport it. Dad gave some suggestions and i just looked at him and said "Dad, its meant to be scale..."

Wing progress: