Stanley Knife
Razor Saw
Wickes wood glue
Razor plane
Good solid chopping block
Building board able to take pins or small nails for the tail plane
Good straight 1ft and 2ft rules
Sanding block and range of grades of sand paper

Anyone else add any more useful tools for beginner builders? I'll have to start a plan builders beginner thread

Edited By Peter Savage on 28/10/2009 18:48:52

Advert

I have built models in past and I am taking my time with this one. Dry fit and double check and refer to the blogs. It looks a nice kit and not too difficult with CNC parts. I might try wickes woodglue. I have tried some wood gluesI had in garage but they don't seem to be strong enough easy to break joint.

Many modellers spend £00's on their model, then look for the cheapest glues.
My advice is buy a good waterproof PVA. My first choice is Evostik in the 'blue' dispenser.
As Doug says superphatic is good, but the joints need to be precise fitting.
 For ALL my load bearing joints I use the PVA of my choice, the wood will fail before the glue,   so I have no use for epoxies

WOW  thats brave advise. pva is a good glue but as with all glues it depends on the surface being joined . to say we are gluing ply. if its a hardwood veneer with a rough grain surface and we are laminating then pva will be fine but if that surface was say micro sanded birch then epoxy would be better. balsa will glue with bascally anything as its absorbant even tho its a hardwood. thats why cynos work so well with it .but start glueing plys with cyno and expect the odd bad joint. 
PVA and alphatic are bascially the same thing , ones a poly vynal ones an emulsion base.. they both remain flexible in the join  although pva more so. 
good strength yes , and most common in wood working, but high strength  and load
no way . use epoxy....!!!!!!!

PVA  isnt really waterproof or fuel proof either.

Kiwi, I speak as I find, and have only used Evostik PVA Waterproof  for all my builds
including water planes,   Amongst those,  I have one which is a Puppeteer on floats,  it's 11 years old, and flown regular  off water. Last year I had an argument with a marker buoy, the models damage was lower wing and fuselage.   It was completey stripped,repaired, and recovered. There was no failure of any glue joints.
Hopefully she will give  a few more years service, as long as I don't try and  use maker buoys as aircraft carriers
I feel that a reasonable test for any glue.  

I m sure you have terry . if the glue is inside well sealed and no water can penetrate thats fine as youve proven.
But as PVA and alphatic rely on moisture to cure they wont hold up to dampness for long. You wont see PVA used in boat construction.
A good measure of a PVA was to use the longest curing one as it relies on penetration for strength . You use PVA in a hot room and those joins wont be as good.
Most PVA and alphatic glues state not for exterior or structural use.
polyurethane glues will be more sutable for this but they too have limitations.
Like I said if gluing balsa in pva is fine as penetration is good on the wood. but glue smooth ply face to face and the join not so good. Most the time the glue join is only acting as a fillet to give a larger gluing surface. wipe that fillet away the join will again fail.
Pva and alphatic are heavy glues as are epoxy. making cynos the choice for modern modellers. ..

Most chinese arfs are glues with fast drying polyvynals thats why the joins a prone to breaking

Point being was that PVA and epoxy are heavier than CA.
The boys in my joinery department use plenty of PVA but the joins are all mechanical with screws and dowels , dovetails , rotary joinery connections etc. not a straight butt or lap as in modelling.
Laminating is usually done via two part powder resin glues.

Edited By kiwi g on 31/10/2009 22:03:04

My point was that PVA is lighter than Epoxy. I think glue is a personal choice much of the time most glues are strong enough for most modelling applications. When I have seen glue joints fail it has been because of bad joints not because of weak glue. I guess that an argument for using CA because it is light. However I think PVA allows me to get away with dodgy joints for a small weight penalty.

Edited By Bruce Richards - Moderator on 01/11/2009 08:15:53

Edited By Bruce Richards - Moderator on 01/11/2009 08:16:48

Hang on a minute ..
Terry you said .
As Doug says superphatic is good, but the joints need to be precise fitting.
 For ALL my load bearing joints I use the PVA of my choice, the wood will fail before the glue,   so I have no use for epoxies.

So what you are saying was that you are fine with gluing structural things as lets say Firewalls. then you said alphatic needs more precise joins yet alphatic and PVA are bascally the same..

Then bruce you just said that pva doesnt break just bad joins then you say it lets you get away with bad joins.

as far as waterproof I was only stating what the majority of manufactuers say on there containers,.
Now Pva is a good modelling glue in general but the point being I would not like to be starting the nitro motor when the Pva glue lets go and it will ....
Hey I use PVA all the time as Im not that keen on relying on CA on spruce and ply surfaces but theres no way I would use it to join a wing spar or firewall.. like I stated the Pva is best when it can be absorbed into the grain structure of the wood thats why it doesnt glue smooth surfaces well.
Pva has advantages in that it remains flexable compared to CA and you need not mix it like epoxy but structural strength  .. good luck

Edited By kiwi g on 01/11/2009 09:47:49