Colomban Luciole

Advert

Great! The mag fell through the door a couple hours ago and I went straight to the plan. And wow, what I scortcher! I will deffinatley be building this.

One thing though, that all flying elevator is a bit wierd and a bit disconcerting. Would it make alot of flying differance to just make a standard stabiliser/elevator? 

Edited By Ben Mullins on 22/10/2009 19:36:04

I fitted an Assagai 1/5th scale  pilot. Super detailed item. They are usually on Ebay, pricy but well worth the money considering that a latex blob unpainted will cost over £8.

A good .15 will fly it. the AP 15 is NOT a good .15, it is gutless. I had one, briefly, in a 1/12 th scale flighter. After one flight I took it out and fitted a standard SC 15 which is a good engine. There are .19s on Ebay. I just bought a Thunder Tiger .17 which would do.

Thanks Peter re the AP15 . I was sold it on re entering the hobby a few years back as I asked for a cheapo to fit into a small trainer to get "back into the swing" so to speak .Well the shop has gone bust needless to say & I would welcome any suggestions as to what to do with said engine . (legal that is )  I do have all your free plans going back about 4-5 years .
G-UMPY

What a brill plan ,Its nice to see an unusual subject getting modelled rather than another warbird .I wonder if my old PAW 19 diesel would drag it about ok.Looking at the build photos it would be almost within a modellers capability to have a crack at building1:1 scale(I might need a larger shed mind!!)Brilliant. 

Your PAW 19 would be perfect for it. More than enough power.

The full size is pretty simple in many ways although it does call for very precise work. Ultra close tolerances,  etc. especially on the wing mounting and spars roots.

Surprisingly for a home built there is some pretty complex machining on some components.

We (Richard and I) were laughing at some of the dimensioning on the engine mount. Would you believe a measurement of 86.83 degrees. One hundredth of a degree!!! You would get that movement with the clearance of the bolts in the holes.

No Peter. IT was designed by Michel Colomban, designer of the famous Cri-Cri. The full size that is.

Richard Teveson is building the one that will be tested by the PFA (LAA) so the plans can be aproved for building in the UK.

Kevo. I am pretty sue that you OS FS 20 would fly it in a scale like manner. I am pretty certain a good, .15 would fly it although aerobatics might not be possible.

The full size prototype has flown some aerobatics unofficially.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi Peter, I've just completed a 72" Sig Cub and decided on a whim to build a Luciole - my first plan built model.  Was planning to start on the Tony Nijhuis Hurricane (I have all the hardware but was planning on doing my own cutting) but thought with the stringers the Luciole would be good practice.

It's coming along very quickly - the plans are very easy to follow, thanks for your efforts

Rgds, Rob - Sydney

Good to hear from you Peter.  I was given the Wankel by my father about 5 or 6 years ago and it has been waiting for a home ever since - runs like a dream.  Probably not appropriate but I wanted to build the Luciole and I don't have anything else.

It weighs pretty much the same as an old OS19 I have (no longer runs) so I thoght I would get away with it - might go without cowling or spinner just to show it off and save a bit of weight there.  My flying instructor always used to say "you don't have to put the throttle to the wall".

This is my first dabble in forums - all new to me.  Is it appropriate to keep posting build photos here or should I start a new topic?

Rgds, Rob

BTW that's my back porch, not the workshop.  You wouldn't want to see that!!