TopGun A-10 Tankbuster

Mark Jones

My new TopGun A-10 warthog . Having flown quite a few EDF planes,i think this one has the title of being the most fun to fly. Not the fastest EDF  but hey they are not supposed to be fast.After the first couple of test flights i was down low beating up the strip in style-most fun,  then you just pop the gear down and it floats in nicely,and you can taxi it back, the sound of the twin fans is great !

Edited By Mark Jones on 22/11/2009 15:33:01

Advert

Hi Jez it came with a 2200 3s lipo then told you to put lots of weight up front
Then later the manual say's you can go up to a 3200 lipo and forget the weight   lol ! Guess what i did !!! on my 3000 lipo on mixed throttle i get six mins with some to spare.
It really is ace to fly and it does not stall, in a breeze the other week i actually had it stationary in the air. Even in no wind the landings are really easy and slow.

Posted by Myron Beaumont on 22/11/2009 16:12:40:
The sound of the real thing is awesome isn't it ? Scary or what ?

Used to live near the Cowden bombing range on the east coast, the A10's used this regularly and you could hear the gun firing over 5 miles away, it was awesome. They would also use passing cars for target practice as they were waiting for their turn on the range, intimidating sight looking straight down the barrel as one dived towards you from a couple of thousand feet.

Mark thanks for the quick review, have really been fancying a A10, probably due to the above and will have a look in to this one.

In the early to mid'90's, we were caravanning in the Wye Valley, staying in a pub garden, when one morning an A-10 decided that the pub was his target for the day. He made several passes - I thought it was marvellous - family not so impressed!

I can imagine the pucker factor if you're a baddie.................

Pete

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Thanks I will.

I did have grass David and would have flown it sooner - however my girlfriends horses have done their version of River Dance on it! Some pikey nicked the fence battery so the four legged 'pain' managed to get out into the main field (my flying bit!)    So it looks like RAF Barkston Heath - weather and time depending. If my lads about,  I will probably try and get a short vid of it.

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Administrator on 26/01/2010 13:42:21

No not yet - I will see how I go with the 2200's first before I start chopping out the foam! (plus I havn't got any 3300mah 3 cells!) which is the main reason at the moment   You do have to add alot of nose weight for the CG (40g recommended) though. However I did manage to save a few grams by filling the nose gattling gun with lead shot before glueing it on.

Hi Alan, fit a 3000 mah lipo-found on a well known internet market place take the lead-well most of it from the front!!  dont need to hack any foam out  it fits well, also make a hole from the front of the batt compartment to the back of the wheel well for cooling
It flies lie a dream -  really good fun and lands at a snails pace, ive even had mine going backwards high alfa in a wind
let me know how you get on!!!

Hi Mike

Yes it has, No rudders though - only ailerons and elevator.

For Mark and David - how it went

Well the big day was last sunday at Barkston Heath. My fellow flyer Justin (extremely good flyer) and very exicited  was dragging it out of the boot of my car as soon as I mentioned I had brought it.

I thought I would do a short vid. unfortunately I had forgot the video camera (which I thought was in the car) and had to do it on a mobile phone which the quality wasn't very good so basically Justin did the initial test flight as I couldn't feel my fingers as it was so cold!

Well then - Power on - down the runway and airborne in about 15 m - u/c up and climbed and banked to about 100 ft.  A couple of high circuits to check the trims (to much throw on the elevator) ailerons and C of G spot on.

Then Justin did his thing.  Came down low and buzzed the runway at 2 ft then full power on and went vertical and just climbed!  Back along the runway at about 50 ft and into a 8 point roll infront of us. A couple more low passes and the U/c down in for a nice smooth landing. Taxied back (however wouldn't turn right) sorted now!

In conclusion - very impressive!  His comments - Spot on - very impressed - how much do they cost?

I've yet to fly it - if Justins impressed and watching it fly - then thats good enough for me and I cant wait to get the next chance to fly it myself!

Al

Edited By Alan B on 05/02/2010 11:18:44

• 1 month later...
Its been a while!

Well having the time and the good weather coming both at once!  Below is a video
as promised Mike.

Although it was a little breezy and mainly across the strip. I thought the model performed well. There are 2 videos together. The first part is flying low and fairly slow and the second part is high speed with rolls and loops etc

Al 

Edited By Alan B on 22/03/2010 20:19:17

Hi David  Yes its Barkstons hallowed Tarmac! 

> >

As far as duration goes.  Well I had a problem with my computer editing the clips

(long story) so what you see on the video is the full unedited actual flight times.

> >

On the slower low circuits I used a Flightmax Zippy 3S 11.1v 2200 Mah 25c Lipo

The post flight reading  was 11.48 volts.

> >

On the Higher speed rolls and loops I used the supplied Starmax 3S 11.1v 2200 Mah 20c Lipo. The post flight reading was 11.2 volts

> >

On both flights the timer was set at 5 minutes. So I would say to be on the safe side you would looking at 6 minutes maximum at a push. Depends on your style of flying I suppose.

> >

The supplied battery (cheap & Cheerfull) was worked hard and was quite hot. Marks suggestion of cutting a vent in the back of the nosewheel well is probably a good idea to get a bit of air around the battery.

> >

In conclusion – it’s a lovely model and I’m very pleased with it.

Hi Alan great to see your excellent flight of the A-10, they do fly in a lovely way, hope to be taking mine for a sortie or two and chase some other planes for fun! my 3000 lipo gives me good six mins of mixed flying with a little to spare. also it remains cool since i made the hole from the u/c nose bay. a little mod i have done is after having some probs on take off with the nose leg bending backwards -cured by glueing a block inside the bay directly behind the leg in locked down position-sorted! hope you have many more great flight with it
          Mark 

Edited By Mark Jones on 23/03/2010 19:30:45

Hi,
I bought a desert camo one way back at the LMA indoor show. I had a few probs and I've still only flown it once.
First, during the first flight one of the fans was making a right old racket and was rubbing on the shroud. I found that the motor had no front bearings. To be fair the guys at Vulcan hobbies did replace it for me free, but took a while for them to get one. 
Second, for weeks the weather or work got in the way.
Third, when I finally got to try it again, it couldn't find enough power to get off the grass field, and finally got bogged down in a wet patch. After some testing, I found that one motor, the other one this time, was down on power. It turned out to be a crap ESC. This I replaced with my own money. Somewhat tricky as the bright sparks at the factory had glued the narcell halfs together.
Fourth, one of the so called metal geared retract servos seized up so I am replacing all three. After all that, the weather has stopped me flying it as I don't fancy doing my test flight in strong wind. I am still not put off though, I must just have been unlucky. I will get it in the air one day.

Glad to hear that you are both having success. It does boost my confidence in that I'm not wasting my time pursuing it.

Andyshades.