Seagull Dewoitine D 520

Martin Johnson

Has anyone started to assemble this kit yet?  Apart from the incorrect camouflage scheme, 'sport tailwheel' and bone dome clad pilot it seems pretty accurate.  I'm putting an RCV 130 CD in mine

Has anyone started assembling this kit yet? Apart from the incorrect camouflage scheme, 'sport tailwheel' and bone dome clad pilot, it seems pretty accurate.  Build quality also seems well up to Seagull's standards.  I'm putting an RCV 130 CD in mine and will use profilm paints to modify the camouflage pattern. 

I'm surprised that Seagull chose this paint scheme.  It's Vichy France markings worn by North African based aircraft fighting against the Allies.  A 1940 Battle of France scheme might have been more popular.

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Administrator on 29/11/2009 14:04:09

Advert

It is nice to see something a little different from WW2.
I love the colour scheme and the quality of the kit on first inspection is superior to the Hanger 9 P-40.
I hope to start mine in a few weeks time,need 4 more servos  (more money)..

The kit is very similar in construction to the Seagull percivel mew gull .

Look forward to your blog Martin. 

David,  Thank you for the amendment.   I am off skiing at the end of next week but will try to tackle the camouflage scheme and post photos before then.  I'v been advised that a heat gun will lift the upper layer of profilm and that their paint is a good match.  Will also try to scan and post an accurate colour three view.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
Bought myself a Dewoitine as a Christmas present.A copy of the original Seagull building manual on the net recommends a two stroke 75 or 91, the Perkins site says a 91, my manual that came with the kit says a two stroke 120. I was planning to put an old SC 108 in it.Did the manufacturers find the lower powered engines wanting? Has anyone out there used a 91 or 108 in it , if you did what happened? I was talking to David Ashby on another matter and mentioned this and he thought that the bigger engine would be the best bet

The D520 was a good and fast aeroplane so I wouldn't under power it. As I understand it they were on a par with the Hurricane performance wise, they just didn't have enough of them.

I've fancied one of these for a while too, though I'm not keen on the colour scheme either and agree that one with "Battle of France" markings would be more likely to swing it.

Incidently I watched one of those documentry programs on freeview 200+ something "War in the skies" I think it was. Loads of incorrect statements and aircraft identifications; one of the most obvious was a flight of D520s identified as Spitfires.

• 1 year later...

Hi there Robert, I eventually put a DLE 20 petrol engine (Though it went well on the 108.) in it and it goes like a bomb, or if you want to fly it at scale speeds, no problem. Landing benefits from using the flaps, otherwise it tends to drop a wing on the last few feet of the landing. I have had lots of fun out of it and hope to have lots more

The colour scheme may not be deadly accurate but you can see it well on a dull day!.

• 3 weeks later...

My lovely wife has bought me one for Christmas. (Well, she has contributed to the cost wink).

Downside is that it has to be wrapped up until 25 Dec sad

Upside I should be well prepared for the build (provided I can get the repair queue down). And plenty of time to practise my landings and get up to 'retract freindly'.

The manual does not recommend servo sizes. Can i ask what you used? I was thinking or servos around 6 - 8 kg torque for all the control surfaces (standard 3001 or similar for throttle). Scale aircraft so no need to go to fast servos. Probably go 6v.

Hi there Robert.Now this may shock you but I have a mixture of servos in the Dewoitine. As it is what I call a medium size plane I just take the servos out of my box. The Dewoitine has futaba s3003's and s148's in it with a Hitec 75bb retract servo Three batteries, 4.8volts, one for the servos, one for the retracts and as it is now petrol, one for the ignition.

I have been flying it for the best part of eighteen months and touch wood it has never put a foot wrong, (Perhaps I shouldn't have said that!), I like a separate battery for the retracts just in case they jam and of course now that it is petrol it has to have the third battery. As I said before it started life with a SC 108, well worn, but a friend sold me the petrol engine so I put it in (DLE 20.)

You will find it a lovely machine to fly but it does like flaps for landing, otherwise it tends to drop a wing. It will do all the aerobatics that I am sure the full size one would but a word of warning, before you start flying and are putting the wing on, dont forget the wooden aerial, my assistant turned it upside down and that was the end of that. Put it in after the machine is assembled. Mind you any right minded person wopuld have done that anyway. My excuse is age!!!!!

Over the course of time it has became one of my favourites and is now looking very tired but it still flies well.

Have fun.