Servos??

Hi all,

I am sure you are all probably getting annoyed with all my different questions lately but i need help once again!!!!

As you may be aware, i am getting a Kyosho Calmato 60 Sports 71" model for Xmas along with a DX7.

I have sorted the engine out but i have been researching servos and quite frankly, i am stuck!!

I need five but i see they range from £15 to £80!!!! All i am after are servos that are reliable, will do the job with ease and quickly but although price isn't really an issue i don't fancy paying £80 each!

Any thoughts guys?

Advert

TBH ive never had any problems with any servos i have put onto the AR7000 
 go for 6v servos there quicker anyway

one thing to mention the 2.4g Rx have a voltage of 3.5v to 9.6v so if you are going to ever use a sep Rx battery i wouldnt get anything less then 6v and a good quailty one as well
as you dont want any brownout  

Rob

Edited By Robert Bromwich on 06/12/2009 07:08:53

My Futaba receivers are 617 from memory.

My fear was that the BEC units on my speed controllers would be insufficient for the RX and servos, if the current requirement was a a min.  6v , which I am assuming that the Spektrum needs.

With Futaba it would appear they are capable of using Nicads/Nimh with no issues.

As for servos, Futaba standards are very cheap days, and in my opinion well suited to even large models, although probably not the very large models.

Erfolg

Hi Ross
It is confoundedly confusing isn't it;
However, it is a lot simpler than it seems. Your 70" sports model is not going to make exceptional demands on servos, so I'd use standard units from a well known manufacturer. Personally I use hitec, because they are cheaper than Futaba, and I've never had any real problems
There are some other issues..
Its a good idea to standardise to one manufacturer, for interchangability of output arms, etc.
Avoid little known makes, I'm sure some are very good, But I wouldn't chance a good airframe with a suspect servo.
You can mix types in one plane, for example for throttle you dont need a lot of power, wheras for rudder you might need something more powerful
Finally, the red multiplex ones look very fine
Finally, finally, installation is really important, I've seen many more problems due to bad workmanship, than to servo failure
ernie

Stick with NiMh - the advantage with lipos is the weight, but that wont be a problem in a model such as yours. And with Lipos you need the regulator to keep things at happy voltages too. Add to that that they are more expensive and more fragile and need special charging equipment... You get the picture - they are more trouble then they are worth as an Rx battery in this case.
And everything Ernie said I would agree with - how many ultra percision servos have you seen which are attacked to the contol serfaces with slop?

birdy

Hi Ross, I try to use Spektrum DS821 for standard servos, Hitec HS-MG85 for mini servos and Hitec HS-65HB for micro servos. I have tried the cheaper Hitec 81 & 55's but they suffer from weak gears and electronics, got fed up of replacing gears or throwing away duff 55's, I even have a dead 55 buried in the fuse of a Blizzard, have had to leave it there and make do without rudder! Just my favourites I'm sure other people have their's

The Futaba 2.4Ghz RX work at 6.0v ok.

Tom