Can I go out and play please mummy....

Tim Mackey

Large wingspan Electric Model? them things is dangerous. They can do things outwith the Pilots control.

Strange as it may seem, take the ten years of the 1950's, civillians in the UK were in no more danger of Firearm injury than they are today. Yet there were millions of shotguns, and somewhere between 1/2 million and 1.5 Million rifles in the UK.

I had legal access to both, with my Ten bob licence, Shotgun and Air Rifle. Under permission of Landowners for pest control, .22 cartridge rifles. Nor was I an Adult at the time.

Yep, I got into mischief, some serious. Not for dangerous to others activities though. Yet with a lifetime of safe practice I got tarred with the must be dangerous brush. Merely for owning ,,,, Och Weel. Time all motor vehichles were banned, they are the most dangerous things ever invented when allowed in public hands.

Yes, THAT MEANS YOU.

Advert

Nearly got taken out by a White van driver this morning. He was coming down a hill in a narrow country road and decided to over take a slow moving car, well it was icy. Trouble was that the sun was in his eyes so he didn't see me coming up the hill.

Just saw me and pulled back in time. I had already stopped.

I have a strange feeling that my comments would be moderated.

Ohhhhhhh,  come on Timbo, there is politics in all we do, even modelling.

Even back to the days when SMEA encouraged RCs to get a licence.

Yes, it is I have suspected and the wife knows. We are grumpy old men!

Any way I of to get my favorite axe, to cut some more wood.  I do not need a licence for it do I? I have never hurt myself yet. The wife holds the wood steady and I swing the axe.  The safety assessment has lead to this arrangement. I quickly realised I could strike my fingers holding the wood. As quick as a flash the risk was eliminated, the wife would hold the wood. Simples

Erfolg

Posted by Ross Clarkson on 22/12/2009 12:24:21:
This is brilliant, this is what life was all about. Going out and being a proper little boy! I remember throwing an aerosol can into a fire once..................you can guess the rest!!
I did it again though, i was just careful next time and further away!!!!! ha ha.

One Saturday morning at Cub's football training two of the very best players didn't turn up. They were the middle pair of four brothers. Soon the word came that they were both in hospital, having suffered serious burns. I was told that it was highly unlikely that they would play Cub's football again. In the following weeks the story emerged that the family had been clearing the garage and a box of rubbish put on the bonfire contained an aerosol can of paint. The resultant fireball enveloped the two youngsters and they were both burned. They still bear the scars, but luckily they survived.

Perhaps others have not been so lucky.

It's where the homespun "truthiness" of the little story at the start of the thread falls apart. It doesn't consider those who din't survive, or who were injured or maimed by the things which it is so popular to decry any attempt to prevent. The reference to the golden age before seatbelts that these missives hark back to is particularly relevant. Ask any member of the emergency services how much they miss the golden age of picking up little bodies that have been shot through the windscreen.

Edited By leccyflyer on 24/12/2009 09:14:26

When we were young / inexperienced we didn't consider consequences of our actions as we didn't think of being mortal & that the future would be affected by our actions (irresponsible? ). I don't think comparing seat belts with aerosol cans is a valid one. Surely there is a clear difference ?
I am guilty just like the rest of us of certain misdeeds BUT I did learn a set of values -Probably why I'm still alive
Difficult not to get political isn't it !

OK lets keep things civil gents...it was meant to be a light hearted reflection on how life used to be, and was interconnected with another thread. Why oh why do some people just have to get on their high horse and start taking everything so seriously, and making personal attacks on others. I think I will close the thread off now as its had its day.