Its becoming awfully slow

James Hindle

Advert

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I was suffering very slow access.  I have greatly improved things, but the management wo'nt like it - I have blocked the animated adverts on the rhs of the sceen.

I use Firefox on my oldish, slowish laptop.  Firefox has an addon called Adblock - which is my friend because it blocks loads of annoying repetative irritating stuff.

Plummet

It seems to really slow at peak times, evenings and espcially Sunday evening so I'm guessing the site platform just can't handle the demand ? The adverts really don't help, I moderate on another forum and we don't have picture adverts for just this reason, they cripple the site, take an age to download and look terrible. Unfortunately for this forum, it's owned by a company so they have the say on what happens and they will want to advertise. I would rather pay an extra ?5 on my magazine subscription and get rid of the ads and have a better running forum without the glitches this one suffers from ie, when I post from my PDA, although I put spaces between sentences, this forum posts it up as one big blockof text, very annoying.

No, you misunderstand me, I'm fine with RCM&E to have adverts, this site however isn't the magazine so why should it have hundreds of ads slowing down the forum, that's why I said I'd rather pay an extra fiver towards the upkeep of the site and have a nice fast, well maintained and good running website than one full of ads that's slow with a poor operating program.

James, the "ads" are there for many reasons....the way see it
1... it helps with overall cost of running this site and the mag, I am sure, David, Graham and co, spend more time in putting these things into production than they get in remuneration,........it's called "devotion", and i am sure we all thank them for this
2.... some sites are less colourful, giving a dour face, at least the adds brightens it up
3.... if one is looking for info and "where to " buy bits . at least it is in front of you starring you in the face, ...great
3 If the adds where removed, I am positive that a "joining fee" would be put in place... hence membership would drop
5 ... as far as "being slow"...ummm the site is as quick as most other model sites, in fact there are a lot slower  
  A.A.Barry
P.s , if there are "narsty's" affecting the output, the lads will fix it
P.ss, another point which I have observed over the last 18 months is...........when I bought this new computer, it was as "quick as a rat up a drain pipe".....now after loading all sorts of info on it , .......I could have caught the rat... any help

Edited By A.A. Barry on 05/03/2010 14:35:26

Edited By A.A. Barry on 05/03/2010 14:39:33

I totally agree with you A A, the guys who run and moderate this forum do a fantasic job, this forum has helped me out many times and i'm grateful for that, so grateful that I would be willing to contribute to the running of it instead of relying on ads. I'm also well aware of the need for ads, as you say, they are very handy for sourcing parts and advertisers pay money. What I'm saying is have a page with all the ads listed, if you need a part, etc then all the info will be on one "traders" page. The 20 or so scrolling, flashing adverts per page we have at the moment I personally think is distracting, annoying, looks horrible and probably the largest contributing factor to the slow running of the forum, there is no need for them on every single page.

Edited By James40 on 05/03/2010 15:51:58

• 2 weeks later...