OS 46 LA

Dave Doughty

Advert

Remove glow plug and check it glows, replace it if it does, it is likely to work.
Open main needle 1.3/4 turns. DO NOT CONNECT GLOWSTART open throttle fully, thumb over carby inlet and turn prop over a few times to prime with fuel. Fuel should be evident entering carby.

Set the throttle slightly open, connect glow start, and turn prop in normal starting manner.

When/if it starts, let it warm then adjust the nain needle for best revs, then open needle three clicks.

Fingers (which have been kept clear) crossed. Won't run? we will think again.

Found a couple of different engines needed the old "finger on the exhaust outlet" trick for a second or so during cranking when starting them in sub-zero temps last weekend.

Only works if you're runnng exhaust pressure to the tank of course.  Oddly, this seems to work much better than manual priming - perhaps the higher velocity fuel atomises better?

Don't overdo it or there's a danger of hydraulic locking...

I would also check your fuel tank if above solutions don't work. I fly mainly gliders so my OS46  only gets occasional run out, its normally (Touch wood!) easy to start even after a long lay off. The only times it has played up is due fuel line/tank issues e.g. split line inside tank etc.

I too generally use finger odver exhaust trick!

Good luck

Rustington, hmm i'm in Mile Oak, north Portslade.

Not joined a club yet to fly with but i have visited one near my partners place in East grinstead where i am most weekends.

going to run my engine a little more on the bench and set it up before i let it leave the ground.

I was told i could take it to the field in EG an they would test fly it for me, which i thought was nice of them as i'm not a menber.

ANYONE WANT A MANUAL FOR AN OS .46 LA - PM ME WITH AN EMAIL ADDRESS & I'LL SEND YOU A PDF - YOU CAN THEN PRINT OFF YOUR OWN COPY !!!

I'll even chuck in the bearing measurements with part numbers for free

Edited By Basildon Biggles on 26/12/2009 19:15:41

Edited By Timbo - Administrator on 26/12/2009 23:09:52