Advise greatfully recieved....

renegade

Happy new year to all....

Please help...
I was lucky enough to recieve a Blackhorse "Renegade"  62" ARF for christmas and am just about to order some servos, engine and possibly a new transmitter, but am unsure as to wich would be best.
I have been flying models since i was young and still occasionally fly a combat wing along the cornish coast with a 4ch hitec trannsmitter .
I went to my local model shop to ask the guy about some servos and he sold me some futaba s3003 standard servos which i hope are gonna be ok at a 10  each.....but i only bought 2 for the ailerons...(untill im sure as got to buy 3 more!!)   he said they will work fine with my exsisting hitec box to keep costs down....also i neep to buy an engine it recomends a  46-55ci 2 stroke ??
Any info or advise gratefully recieved.....

Advert

Any decent 46-55 engine would be fine, Irvine 53 and OS AX 55 would be quality end, but the equivalent ASP/SC/Thunder Tiger would also be fine.

You could fly it with your old 4 ch Hitec but a modern 6 channel set would enable you to have separate aileron servos (without a Y lead) and would be suitbale for more models in future. 

if you've already got futaba aileron servos the 6EX 2.4 makes a lot of sense although spektrum receivers are cheaper. The DX6i would be fine as the transmitter, but i'd use an AR7000 receiver if this model is going to be IC powered.

Irvine 53 is probably the way i'd go if i were powering this model with an IC engine.

Lots of decent "second user" 35Mhz radios. Futaba 6ex up to the Futaba ff9 will work with the Hitech Rx. Much depends on whether you think you want to get serious with flying? Most guys now are going 2.4 Ghz radios, more costly than second hand 35Mhz though for a decent number of channels,

Futaba 6 and seven channel 35Mhz can be found new at quite reasonable prices.

Posted by Jonathan Lewzey on 01/01/2010 18:27:04:
if you've already got futaba aileron servos the 6EX 2.4 makes a lot of sense although spektrum receivers are cheaper. The DX6i would be fine as the transmitter, but i'd use an AR7000 receiver if this model is going to be IC powered.

Irvine 53 is probably the way i'd go if i were powering this model with an IC engine.

Why an AR7000 just cos its IC ?

I am so hooked and i havent even flown it yet... i am planning to build a spitfire from plans already .....as am or was a joiner by trade.... cant wait!!

If i were to opt for a entry level radio that will take a bit of progression what would be your choice as my money is burning a big hole in my pocket and cant wait to go fly!!

Would the DX6I be a good choice? .... as have read good things about this...

Also can anyone recomend a model store in the uk who will offer competitive prices in return for loyal custom.....as need to buy new radio, starter gear, stand, fuell, etc etc.
Thanks for all your help.
The start of business tomorrow i am going to be purchasing all these parts so all your info is very   much apreciated!!!, thanks again.

I can concur with Timbo on the 2nd and 3rd stores on his list. Great places to do business with.

I would be tempted to stick with the Tx you have, buy an engine and a couple more servos.

Get some flying time in on your new machine and enjoy yourself.

Save the pennies. Decide what you want to do regarding aeromodelling in the future and then decide on your radio requirements.

I guess your Spit will require the standard 4 channels plus flaps, retractable landing gear so your requirement will be a minimum of 6 channels.

For future if you go down the scale route you may need more channels and a computer Tx with memories for models.
I personally thought 6 channels was enough - it wasn't so I now have an 8 channel Tx

Posted by Timbo - Administrator on 01/01/2010 19:01:04:
Posted by Jonathan Lewzey on 01/01/2010 18:27:04:

Why an AR7000 just cos its IC ?

I seem to remember reading somewhere the 6200 is only suitable for electric power? Ah, i think i've forgotten about the AR500 . that would work reliably wouldn't it. 

I wouldnt say any of them is more suited or less suited to IC or electric or glider or whatever. IMO the only difference is that in IC you have a dirty great lump of metal up front which could shield the receiver, and potentially more gunge and vibration - but as long as the aerials are mounted correctly, and the reciver packed in foam etc then this shouldnt matter.
The 6200 has a satellite Rx unit same as the AR7000 but merely has one channel less, and of course it costs a bit less.
I have several AR500s, and all peform perfectly in both glders and electric.
My only remaining IC model has an AR7000, but thats because I need the 7 channels.

Posted by renegade on 01/01/2010 19:01:26:
I am so hooked and i havent even flown it yet... i am planning to build a spitfire from plans already .....as am or was a joiner by trade.... cant wait!!

If i were to opt for a entry level radio that will take a bit of progression what would be your choice as my money is burning a big hole in my pocket and cant wait to go fly!!

Would the DX6I be a good choice? .... as have read good things about this...

Dx6i is a good entry level programmable set (I have one) and would be great for your Renegade, but if you are serious about moving into scale models with retracts and flaps etc while you could make it work other more powerful sets would give you more flexibility, but thats also true of the Futaba 6 channel set.

On the Dx6i for your Spit with retracts and flaps you'd have to either have a single servo driving the flaps or use a Y lead, these will work but aren't quite as elegant, at the same time the aileron would only be driven off one channel on the Rx, again not a problem but you can't then program in differential etc.

Difficult decisions, but for now I would buy a basic 6 channel progamable Tx (Dx6i or Futaba 6EXA) but bear in mind when you get to the Spitfire stage you might need something a bit more powerful.

I'd go for the Spektrum set just so you can then use the E Flite and Parkzone bind n fly models with them.