The Mode Survey - what do you fly?

Very good idea BEB but I think you May have Mist a question which is important in a survey like this. That is that the age of the participant or, more importantly, when they learnt to fly.  I think that there might well be an era effect as well as, or more than, a regional one. 

I say this because a lot of the early adopters of 'full-house' RC were flying the reed system which was flown, effectively, in mode 1.  In 1968 I built my first R/C set (The Model Airplane News/ World Engines system.....a fairly early proportional design) and was self taught and 'supported' using slope soarers but learnt power at Beaulieu airfield in Hampshire and had club support then.....we didn't bother with all the complicated, health and safety, instructor stuff then!  Common sense prevailed....what happened to that BTW?    Happy (but dangerous?) Days!

The point is that these helpful types would, probably, have learned on reeds before me and had transitioned to the 'more natural for them' Mode1 in proportional sets.  Therefore they passed Mode 1 on to me.  I can fly mode 2 reasonably comfortably...especially a two channel aircraft, but that's because I play the piano and I'm used to my right hand not knowing what my left hand is doing!

So...

1  I fly mainly mode 1 and I learnt to fly in 1968.
2  Dorset (mainly on a PC!  
3   Hampshire
4  We didn't do 'formal' in 1968....so I was self taught with friendly 'support' if  I requested it. 

PS...soes anyone know when people first start calling Transmitters 'Controllers' and Glow Plug engines 'Nitro' engines?? 

As expected it's already apparent, in this survey, that there's more mode2 than mode1, but there could, possibly, be more mode1 than mode2 in those people who learned in the roaring 60s.

Edited By Frank Marshall on 13/01/2010 21:20:17

1)  I fly mode 1 for fixed wing, but I am just starting to experiment with helicopters and for those I find mode 2 to be the only way to go.

2)  I am based in the Midlands

3)  I learned to fly in the midlands

4)  I learned to fly multi RC some 45 years ago and was self taught by the process of up-grading from Bang-Bang single channel - not too many professional instructors in those days - I even built my own RC set, a Remcon Quantum 6

Hi,

I'm from Perth, Australia where most people fly Mode 1.

However, to asnwer your questions:

1. What mode do I fly: Mode 3
2. What Region do I fly: Perth, Australia.
3. I was taught by an instructor.

Most people in Perth seem to fly Mode 1, although in my club there are a number of
mode 2 people.

There are 3 people in my club who fly mode 3 (including myself).

Norman Harrop   1. mode 2
                                2.Fly  North West
                                3.Leant North West
                                4.Self tought about 49 years ago / but will have to take lessons ? just
                                   started again about 1 year ago

Just joined the forum,
I started R/C some 40 years ago, flying general sport models.Gave it up due to lack of time due to fullsize gliding and power untill retirment (Gordon Brown does't pay me enough now). Now taking up building and flying models again, a bit rusty I might add.
Love building as apposed to ARTF.although spending time in the garage at this time is a bit cold  ( even wooly undies don't help) and the Kitchen commander is not well pleased with balsa dust everywhere.

Phil S.