dick edmonds halton special tail plans need help please

hi there just starting back into aeromodelling after the midlife crisis lol. and need help to find a plan or somebody that has a spare horizontal tail fin for dick edmonds halton special slope soarer as i bought one years ago and have just stumbled across it minus tail.any help would be greately received

Advert

I had one of these in the 70s but can't recall much except that I fitted air brakes which I've still got in my loft! One of the earliest ARTFs...

Do I remember correctly that it had two all flying tail halves mounted on piano wire joiners or was it a T tail? If it's just one half that's missing then it would be easy to make a mirror image of the other but if you can't get hold of any at all or patterns to copy, I'd be tempted to make something that "looked about right".

Paul

I had a similar problem with a EM 3m Algebra.

After a lot forum postings, with no response I decided to make another pair. With the new tailplane the model flew with no obvious problems. It was now electric powered instead of a glider.

A few weeks ago, whilst preparing for Christmas, the originals turned up. The old and the new were essentially exactly the same.

If I find myself in the same position, I would probably make a set of replacement parts. far sooner than my tortured search for information and the lost tail planes.

Erfolg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
Paul,

I have a Halton Special. I bought it for £5 last weekend. It is in excellent condition although I believe it dates from the 1970s. I found your question when I was searching for an angle of incidence for the all-flying tailplane. You probably can't help me with that but I certainly could send you photographs of the tailplane and dimensions including traced shapes of the profiles etc.

I have fitted this glider out with servos and radio equipment and intend throwing it off the Long Mynd as soon as I can. I have guessed at the angle of tailplane incidence and will have my thumb ready on the trim control. Wing span is 2.5 metres. There are no ailerons.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...

Thanks Tom - I worked on the rule of thumb 30% from leading edge, so not too far out. I have great affection for this ancient model which is now looking pretty much like new again. Remember flying it at Guildford very for flights which on some occasions lasted several hours. The only prob was getting it back down!

If anyone can help with the Sonata E C of G tat would be good.

Thanks for the replies Percy & Bob. I remember the Chaser, alhough I never had one. Didn't it have the fuselage join on the outside in a BMC Mini sort of way.

I looked at pictures of he Apex, although that looks to be a different fuselage. The nose is longer and it doesn't have the raised bit at the back for the tailplane & fin mounting.

I just found a picture of the DB Sprite this evening. It may be another that uses the Corona & Halton Special fuselage.

DB Sprite

Edited By Robin Colbourne on 21/10/2016 23:41:24

• 5 months later...