Close call ??

Kelly

Advert

I once lost control of a large scale Extra 260 with a 3W 60cc motor, turned out to be drastic loss of range on the PCM receiver, I was covinced it was going in as I had no control at all. It disappeared down behind what is the only large tree anywhere near our field and "as you can't fly what you can't see" I'd got my trannie down by my side in my left hand waiting for the inevitable crump. Suddenly to my amazement the Extra appeared above the tree, I quickly held my trannie above my head in both hands and managed to regain control and land the model. So as Bruce has already said Never give up it ain't over till it's over

Edited By Ultymate on 21/01/2010 16:40:48

• 1 month later...
With reference to Bruce Richards  post,  my GWS 190 had a aileron servo die mid-flight , not content with just failing it decided to die in the full up position.

I fought it all the way to the ground and don't ask me how, pulled off a quite soft , inverted landing / crash.

Snapped the prop,popped of the cowl and pulled the wing retaining plate out,all fixed the same night.

It may well of been black bin liner time if I had let it spiral into the ground.

What did Chuck Yeager say, " Fly the plane and work the problem" something like that anyway. 

Kelvin

IMO a good pilot wouldn't have tried a roll at such a low hight with a plane that's barely powerful enough to drag its backside round the sky. He was just lucky that time. Bet he won't try that again in a hurry. Its always good to laugh at the Yanks though so cheers Kelvin you've made my Monday morning.

That's nothing, I once flew my Hooligan through the upper branches of a tree and it didn't even stop the engine!

I just gave her full power, righted her and brought her in for a greaser of a landing trailing lots of shrubbery behind.

My hands and knees were shaking mind.

"Reminds me of one of my 'Ex's -used to flip just like that ."

Yeah I had one just like that too Myron.