Starting with Gliders

I have always liked real gliding but it's cost prohibitive so having just inherited the shed I will have room to expand my collection and give RC gliding a go

]But where to start I'd like to build a kit as opposed to a ARTF but having never really looked into rc gliding I don't even know where to start looking.

Any tips/suggestions

Advert

We need a bit more info whacky - where do you intend flying, slope, or flat field, - bungee, towed or hand launch, how big do you want, power assisted, scale or sport or funfly, vintage or modern etc
Not having put a word in your profile we dont even know whereabouts you live / fly

Edited By Timbo - Administrator on 11/02/2010 21:45:12

Shame on me I have updated my profile with a short history of whacky.

To cut it short I have always thought I wanted to do RC gliding of some sort, but kept on giving the power a go because I really want to build and fly those scale models (things like a lancaster or a herc)  and partly because I felt that if you want to fly RC planes then power is what I should fly. Obviously I cant fly the big stuff until i can fly small stuff fsafely

But whenever I am browsing I am drawn to gliders so I figured I owe it to myself to explore the gliding side of the hobby before I go spending another load of cash for it to end up in the loft.

So I am on a bit of a fact finding mission, I guess to begin with I figured an electric glider would be a good place to start then as i get into the hobby more I can see where it takes me?

Trouble is electric gliders, non ARTF of built up construction - suitable for beginners - are thin on the ground. Why not consider something like the MPX easy glider electric until you feel ready to move on to full kit. Dont be fooled by the looks or materials - these fly really well, and stand up to a surprising amount of punishment on the slope.

I'm perfectly happy to have a ARTF to begin with I like to build but if I am going to build something I want to be comfortable flying it. Just as I now find myself with the space to build and store I can plan ahead what I start with and where I want to end up.

So an ARTF to get me going is fine while I am getting to grips with that I can dream of other things

I only started late last year ....  This is what I have Now.

With hindsite!  ....  ALULA ....  ZAGGI ...... WEASEL. in that order, forget
 about the  Phase 6  untill later.

The ALULA will fly on a whisper.  ZAGGIE will take a lot of
 rough & tumble.

......   Wor Keith.   

Edited By Wor'Keith on 12/02/2010 12:33:18

Edited By Wor'Keith on 12/02/2010 12:40:26

Lots to think on

Zagi we have a caravan in Perranporth plenty of slopes there what are the advantages of the flying wing type models? They are obviously fairly robust so will take beginner punishment.

Wor keith you seem to have a nice little hangar I understand leaving the phase 6 to later on but what are the pros cons of each of the wing type models you have. I guess i can make use of all of them down the caravan.

There are plenty of slopes to head for from bristol but they are a hours drive or so away, the multiplex easy glider could get me going when I only have the morning or afternoon.

lots to think on I could end up having both

Alula = bit specialized TBH - VERY light weight ( mine is around 3oz ready to fly ) and some folks DL them and float em over roof tops and the like.
Not really much use in "proper wind"
Weasal = Dont own one but flown one - they are great fun, but need a slope, and being small, not recommend (IMO) for beginners.
The powered Zagi can be flown as power, or purely as a glider - just whip the prop off.

The only thing I would say is that orientation can be more difficult with a wing - whereas a full fuselage, mainwing and tailplane is easier to see. Bigger is better actually, - easier to see, and flies better - the right one will also fly in widely differing wind speeds, especially the powered versions

I was thinking that knowing which way was up could be tricky I saw a video on utube. When learning you really don't want to have to worry about which way is up I imagine.

That all leads me back yo your suggestion Timbo, just have to be gentle with it lol

I am quickly coming to the conclusion that once I start buying models I won't stop the problem is actually which to buy first

Hi Whacky.

Yes, this can be a difficult choice for a complete novice.
Ken’s right you cant fail with a ZAGGI. I started with one
And with his help and Eric’s . . . soon got into it.

(Where you are going to fly). Dictates the types of models
you will need.

1 Easyglider
, is quite a big bird. (Transportation space?) Basic versionI believe is only ‘Elevator-Rudder’ + motor control (Lipos) charging etc.10mph+ wind/producing moderate lift, needed (without motor).
2 ZAGGI, compact and durable. 1-lb 7oz. 9mph+ wind/producing moderate lift, needed.
3 ALULA, Small and only 6-1/2oz. Mine flies, 4mph + wind/light lift.Ideal on a fine warm day, very relaxing, A great beginners model !!
ALULA on reflection is (still my choice.) a gentle intro to sloping.

Flying in a “Proper” wind, for a beginner something to work up to.

Consider carefully where you will be flying. Also note the secret Ingredient to all this is LIFT!   .   .   . Wind alone will not fly your models.

And remember …. THIS SPORT CAN BE ADDICTIVE!! … LOL.

. . . . . . . . Wor Keith.  

Edited By Wor'Keith on 12/02/2010 18:25:43

Edited By Wor'Keith on 12/02/2010 18:28:18

Easy Glider is Aileron, Elevator and Rudder and makes a very good slope soarer for lighter conditions, say upto 10 mph.

I'm surprised nobody has suggested a WILDTHING, easier to launch than a Zagi and takes a huge amount of punishment.

http://www.freewebs.com/sasepp/Wildthing%2060.htm

Edited By Frank Skilbeck on 12/02/2010 19:07:53

If you want a "flying wing" then go for a 60" Wild Thing - they fly better than the 46" - easy to handle and "indestructible".

If you want a "plane with a tail" then go for the Easy Glider - the wing joiner is hollow and will take ballast rod inside it for winds of 15mph+.
Six channel radio gear will give you spoilerons which make landing easier.

The Easy Glider also comes in electric version which will either slope or can be flown from the flat

I already suggested the easy glider (leccy version )  to him earlier in the thread - and still think its his best bet considering all his circumstances.
Dont know who flies the easy glider in your neck of the woods Frank - but several of the lads up here fly 'em in considerably stronger winds than 10MPH!

Edited By Timbo - Administrator on 12/02/2010 22:14:33

Whacky.

Before you decide to buy.  I have a free DVD , ('my own not pro') limited number!   with all the models here mentioned. You will be able to compare & see, how they all fly.
Its in two parts.

1   Beginner.  (All models mentioned here).

2   Advanced.  (What can be achieved) when you get into it.

If your interested.  contact me 'Private message'

Timbo . . . will send you one also .. if this is of interest.
  contact me 'Private message'

. . . . . . . .  Wor'Keith. 

Posted by Timbo - Administrator on 12/02/2010 19:29:22:
I already suggested the easy glider (leecy version )  to him earlier in the thread - and still think its his best bet considering all his circumstances.
Dont know who flies the easy glider in your neck of the woods Frank - but several of the lads up here fly 'em in considerably strionger winds than 10MPH!

Probably, but I have my Mini Blade and Wildthing just for those occassions and really keep my EG as a back up for when there's not enough wind/lift for them.

Whacky I would recomend something like the windrider fox.
its tough , flys good , and if your use to flying ordinary rc planes it will be easy to see which way up or direction you are going.
Same goes for easyglider,
I cant see the point of leaping straight into a flying wing for a slope learner, altho there are less parts to break on a flying wing, orientaion could be a problem.
I have alot of gliders and some that I enoy are the fox , alula that I side arm launch flat field or next to no lift conditions. 
JW48 for a bit of speed
Combat , canterbury sailplnes f20, nothing beats diving in for a fast attack out of the blue..
Cheers kiwi

All great input a lot to think over,

First step visit club which is certainly a flat field so assuming I go on to join I will need something for there. The if i get hooked and find the slopes of which there must be plenty around me. Based in Bristol we have the mendips and cotswolds with in reasonable distance.

Then I guess it's a case of getting a model to suit where I will fly most to begin with and once I am confident the world is my oyster