Are we an ageing hobby?

Advert

1) 55 and counting
2) Electric- anything that will stay in the air
3) Made a very basic all solid balsa hand launch glider with a friend one summer when I was 14, ..........then at 40, I got inspired again and bought a Precedent Hi Boy kit, and everything I could possibly need, but didn't finish it.
Now 55 and bought a £20 RC Plasne Master flight simulator 6 months ago, and 'learnt' to fly on it.... (best £20 I could've spent!) and a ARTF Hobbyzone Super Cub, which I held off flying until I was god on the simulator.

Now bought a load of Depron foam, and some EPP Foam, various components from China on Ebay, and am keen to try some scratch building.
Kevin.

1-------64 this year and loving life

2------- IC sport
             IC scale
             Elec.sport

3-------- 13 Keil Kraft Phantom Mite

And still learn something new everyday
John

Came across some old mags down the hut today and low and behold a free plan in one mag of a BA Hawk by our very own Eric Bray esq.

1)   Just turned 63

2)   IC sport, Electric sport, flat field glider and electric gliders

3)   Can't remember, but around 10ish with Keil Kraft stuff and then Control liners, then single channel home built radio and multichannel stuff in boats.  Back into (bungee)gliders after first child born and I was baby sitting!

1) 37

2) Elec scale  & Elec Heli

3) Not sure I've ever made a flying model in the accepted meaning of the word "made"! I've assembled a few RTFs. First model flying experience depends if you count the snap together rubber-powered planes I had when I was around 8 years old or the RTF Cessna I bought to teach myself to fly r/c when I was 34.

Cheers,
Jamie.

Age 57,

First model a chuck glider at the age of 3, been hooked on flight and aircraft ever since.

KK rubber models, Veron Kits, Murcury Kits, Contest Kits, Frog and many more. Have built C/L, F/F, Single channel R/C, Multi channel reeds R/C and finally Proportional. Oh yeah, almost forgot the gliders and scale models.

Main interest is IMAC aerobatics. However anything that flies is good.

Regards

Martin.

1    Age 58
2    IC Sport, IC Scale, IC Aerobatics, Electric Sport, Electric Scale, Slope, Heli Electric, and Heli IC

3   Started 4 years ago at 55. Always been involved in aviation but first flew my Ripmax 40 Trainer 4 seasons ago. Still getting the hang of things, Built plenty of ARTF, a couple of Wot 4s and into my 2 year on a Flair Harvard Kit that I keep starting and stopping

79 years young, firstmodel 72nd scale  gladiator at 8years, when you couldn't get balsa wood!, First rubber powered K.K.Ajax, Frog Interceptor. Puss Moth from .plan, First power model, B.M.P. powered Norsman,Model {Airplane News,plan.1944}. Home built r/c{ R.C.M.E. circuit plan}  Mostly scale, with slope and thermal thrown in. Lost count of numbers built!.
Happy Day's. 
Gerry.

73 years young. Started at around 10 with chuck gliders, then Astral and Kiel Kraft rubber models, Control line and Freeflight. Started Radio control around about 1968-70 with an E.C.C. Telecomander valve set. Still flying various types but with much more reliable Radios. The wood in the Astral kits after the war was like it was cut from orange boxes,very hard and usually bent or twisted. Can't seem to give it upthough. Thank Goodness.
Matt

IC and Slope Aerobatics

From about 8 built many Keil Kraft Flying Scale. FW190 was best flier. Took years to get from flights of a few seconds to ones of a few minutes.  An Aeromodeller Plans Service A1 Aiglet glider did the trick.

Edited By Chris Dowsett on 09/03/2010 21:00:27

1. 55 years and ready for retiring.
2. I've started again after a 30 odd year gap, so I'm training  on R/C . I want to build some nice scale models, probably twin electrics. Not that I have anything against fossil fuel burners. I know there are still some people out there who like steam powered vehicles !!! (and horses).
3. I can't remember much about my early years due to a bump on the head when I was 9 years old. I do remember "helping " my dad build a Mercury Grebe glider in the 50s and also anything that I was bought that could fly. I do remember building control liners when I was 10 or 11 years old (ME Heron 1cc in a Keil Kraft Joker). By the time I got to 17 I was building a proportional controlled trainer. At 18 started playing guitar and discovered women - Downhill from there.

age 46
ic + elec sports aerobatic
gliders & slope soaring
started aeromodeling originally with airfix spitfire 8yrs then after realising they didn't fly very well i moved to keil kraft achilles rubber powered11yrs then various gliders loved tissue and dope the c/l with paw deisel engine. dabbled with r/c cars 16yrs the first tamya kits and acoms radio sets had a brief move to r/c slope with a avoncraft cub glider i still own it. many aborted attempts at powered flight due to moving around a lot lots of unfinished projects until i settled back at home 9 yrs ago then i sourced a local club i just can't get out enough. i hope it isnt a dying hobbie but the kids x box type flying introduce them to zaggi style combat as they need challenges. i hope people carry on otherwise the club memberships will drop

Heli Elec  ( 5)
Elec Scale  (1 Heli)

Started in earnest aged 55.
Once when around 10, Father bought me a balsa wood plane with petrol engine ( no idea what make ).  I recall bench mounting the engine for a test power up.  Nearly lost my fingers on the plastic prop.   Uncle built it.  We tried to fly it without success.  Never tried again although always wanted to.
Restarted with the advent of Picco Z then Twister Halk - Blade CX2 - Mini Titan - Airwolf and the like.

1. Age 59

2. Balsa/rubber/tissue/dope, then serious balsa/ply/i.c. fixed wing and now electric heli (indoor and outdoor)

3. Started when I was in my teens with balsa and rubber powered planes, first serious plane was balsa/tissue and dope, rubber powered. Then in my early 20's started with radio control model jeep. Went on to fixed wing planes, but stopped for many years due to having young family etc. Back again now in the last two years with electric helicopters - both indoor and outdoor.