Are we an ageing hobby?

Well, we were chatting away on one of the threads the other day when a couple of the forumites happened to mention their age. Several others were quite surprised - not at all the idea you might have had!

So a group of fellow posters have asked if we could have a survey about how old we all were and how long we'd been modelling. I said I'd try and set something up - so this is it!

When doing the mode survey I did think of asking for ages - but felt it was a getting bit "personal"  But the long and short is I'm assured by others that they would have no problem with it so here goes and I hope enough of us feel able to answer (honestly!) to give us some good quality statistics.

We're going to try to answer the following questions:

1. What is the average age of modellers today - are we a predominately middle aged hobby - or is there a vibrant healthy "yoof" element.

2. Is the age profile different for various aspects of the hobby? So, are slopers a younger group? Are all scale IC types travelling to the patch with their free bus pass?

3. Is flying model airplanes a disease caught in "childhood" that plagues you for the rest of your life? Did most of us actually catch the bug when very young - even if we had a long lay-off during girls/family time?

So, here are the questions we'd like you to answer if you would be so kind.

1.Current age (whole years will do!)

2. What discipline you mainly fly - if you do loads please pick upto three which you would consider your main activities. The categories are:
   IC Sport
   IC Scale
   IC Aerobatics (incl 3D)
   Elec Sport
   Elec Scale
   Elec Aerobatics (incl 3D)
   Slope - All types
   Other non-powered.
   Heli Elec
   Heli IC

3. At what age did you have your first real flying aeromodelling experience. So that could be building a glider, a rubber powered model, IC free flight or RC. But not just assembling an Airfix kit or a two piece chuck glider! We want to know when you started what we would recoginise as "Aeromodelling". Note you may have then taken a long lay-off - that doesn't matter - we just want to know when you first made a flying model.

OK that's it. Similar rules to last time - please confine contributions to this thread to just direct answers to the questions - no other info.

HERE is  a discussion thread to run in parallel so you can post any stories etc there, please do NOT clog this thread with discussion - just the data please .

Let's see if we can sucessfully answer these questions.

BEB

PS This survey is open to all forum readers - regardless of where they live!

Edited By Timbo - Administrator on 18/02/2010 23:01:36

Advert