a cautionary tale

philfly

I am writing this after a bit of a shock. My beloved 55”Overlander Extra has just disappeared in a ball of flames.

After fitting a brand new receiver, due to some radio interference problems I decided to put my battery on charge. The battery had only done two circuits before I had to land due to the problems.

I left the 3000mAh 5c battery in the airframe and set up the charger, and here is where it all went wrong. I had been distracted somewhat after a fall out with the other half and inadvertently set the charger to 6cell rather than 5. The ‘intelligent ‘ Sigma EQ had no issue with this and charging commenced, balance charging was not carried out due to the position of the lead.

After about 35mins I heard noises coming from the next room. I looked in the mirror and the image seemed distorted. I jumped up to find my battery ballooned to twice its size! The distortion was the fumes from the venting cell! I ripped out the charging leads and carried the model quickly outside, I ran into the house to get something to quench the pack when it exploded and  burst into flames quickly destroying the model the battery, the hacker A40L motor and all the other electronics including the brand new receiver. I am only grateful that I didn’t leave the house or I would have come home to ashes! As for charging in the airframe, that is a double edged sword, yes I lost the model but I couldn’t have removed the battery from the house without the airframe t hold onto.

Lessons learned

1, Do not charge in the house

2, Buy a Lipo safe bag

3, Never leave batteries unattended whilst charging

4, Buy a fire extinguisher

5, Pay more attention to what Im doing and don’t get complacent

What I don’t understand is why the charger continued charging at the wrong voltage? Perhaps the voltage left in the pack was enough to fool the charger into believing it was charging a flat 6 cell instead of a partially charged 5cell?

Edited By philfly on 20/03/2010 18:16:40

Advert

Lucky you saw it in time...

Fortunately for me my "intelligent" charger requires the balance lead to be plugged in to charge lipos, but has an annoying tendency to recognise the lipo wrong - which is actually a good thing because it means that I have to check the number of cells.  

A temperature senser is also a useful addition to a charger IMO. 

Glad you escaped with no really serious damage or injury - you have summed it all up really, and as for the charger, well most will recognize the cell count input, and also display what it thinks is connected, based on voltage feedback, but its up to you, the end user, to confirm this before starting the charge.
Bad luck, but as I say - could have been a lot worse.

Carefully checks his Wasabi charging on the bench  

Bad luck, glad the house didn't burn down, its easy to get complacent with these things, but a balance charger like a Cell Pro is a good investment as it does not guess the voltage of the battery as it checks for each cell separately via the balance charge leads, but then again nothing is fool proof.

Tom

I too am sorry you had this issue and lost your plane and electronics

Quite a few errors made there really which may have been reduced by reading the details of previous Lipo issues.

Not entirely sure about your lessons list though.

1, Do not charge in the house

2, Buy a Lipo safe bag

4, Buy a fire extinguisher

5, Pay more attention to what Im doing and don’t get complacent

Personally  I would list like this in order of importance

1, Pay more attention to what Im doing and don’t get complacent
2, Check charger settings before pressing the start button
4, Never charge Lipos in a plane or on a combustable surface (pyrex bowl is ideal)
The fire extinguisher is a little pointless since as the Lipo breaks down it generates its own oxygen so the extinguisher is unlikely to help. It may reduce model damage but you would have to apply the extinguisher until the lipo had completely burnt out.
At least if you are indoors the temperature is likely to be reasonable so you are unlikely to overcharge the Lipo for temperature reasons, and it is far more comfortable to be indoors watching a lipo than sitting somewhere uncomfortable and possibly chilly.
I know it is easy to be wise after the event but I hope you take the above in the way intended. Not as critisism but as a note to all that Lipos, if they are handled with due care are not dangerous.
After all would you fill your car with petrol while smoking? Very unlikely

Saw a quarter scale Piper Cub belonging to one of my club colleagues touch down a few weeks ago just before the LiPos exploded. He managed to get the smoking LiPos out of the model before too much damage was done. If this had occured 30 seconds beforehand, the model would have caught fire in mid-air.