helpful or non helpful importers and shops

i purchased a new E-Flite  Blade Sr from inwoodmodels last week a beautiful piece of kit i wanted this model to bind to my spectrum dx6i transmitter which i bought to fly the smaller msr  the instructions supplied are for the rtf version only  a lot of head scratching about the way to set it up that evening i went to both the E-flite and Spectrum web sites and contacted Horizon hobbys regarding set up.
the follwing morning i received a email from Dave at inwoods with a full set up for both the dx6i and dx7 spectrum as if by magic just what i required. this was the day after the sr arrived. no promting from me.
today i received a email from Horizon telling me they only supply it rtf so don't have set up notes full stop in other words tough don't use any other transmitter and we can't be bothered to help you.
a big thank you to inwoods
a big thumbs down to customer service at Horizon   

Advert

Hmmm ok,

Howes Models Kidlington

I went there to purchase a Parkzone 40 BNF kit  either Mustang, Spit or FW190, they only had RTF kits on the shelves but I wanted the BNF kit to use with my DX7, when I asked about the BNF kits the owner denied existance of the product, this is my second and last visit to their store, they seem to be concentrating more on RC tanks and boats now anyway so no real loss to the RC plane world.

ModelManiacs, Calne Wiltshire

After my disappointment at Howes, I drove 40 miles to Model Maniacs as I was viewing a car in that area anyway, I pulled up outside only to be greated by a "CLOSED" sign on the window.
I was about to get back in my car when a nice bloke in a van said, they are in there, try giving them a call.
I called them from outside the shop and explained my predicament, they asked what I wanted, they did a quick stock check and the shop door opened.  I now have a lovely and good fun BNF Mustang from a very helpful store that was closed but still willing to help.
What a difference 40 miles and helpful, knowlegeable staff make.

Mental note;  STOP BUYING MUSTANGS JAMES! I've got 4 now !

It's all a clever plan David, the Mrs only thinks I have one model plane, I just call them "the Mustang" and if she says "but that one looks smaller" I just tell her it's further away

If she ever steps foot in the workshop, I'm doomed !

I actually went out with the intention of buying the Spitfire but it had a gearbox driven motor where the Stang has an outrunner so it swung my decision, anyway, I've now a Mustang for every occasion

• 3 weeks later...
to further the original thread last week i took two new models to our field to test fly and noise test one being the st models mx2 unfortunately as soon as i connected the lipo the ecs burst into flames a quick disconnection and blow out the flames a quick phone call to inwood models with dave i returned the ecs and received a new replacement ecs by return.
the second model to test was a fliton votec 531 i ran in the new engine did the noise test then took to the air a perfect 1st flight untill the landing were the u/c just disintigrated on the lightest of landings also breaking the exhaust out of the cylinder head. i emailed alshobbies regarding the quality of build i am yet to get a reply i wonder if they ever will
inwood models
alshobbies  

Addlestone Models - Surrey
Grumpy owner / manager on the phone and in person I've found. When asking on the phone if they had something in stock recently I got told "we are a model shop we have most things!" I was only trying to save a journey in case it was not available.....guess what I went elsewhere ! Also been ripped off in the past for the price of Nitro fuel, (see my other thread on this) they were charging just over a £5 more than any other shop for a very long time until recently.

Giantcod - Devon (I think)
Fast deliveries and good advice.

• 2 weeks later...
support the LMS i say-----when they are gone -they wont come back-konghong is ok-But and a big But...you cant nip around there for the essential bit's and bob's to keep your,our,my creation's going just like that......to quote my dear friend who live's in the middle of the med...he's say's "it's easy for me to get what i want/when i want it..for him it is all a major planning excercise"........so as i say at the start support your local lad's......and long may they be there....... 

ken anderson.....ne 1.......   

Hear hear - well said Ken!

There's more to buying model gear than a cheapness. The shopping and the choosing is part of the pleasure!

What cost 20 mins sanity browsing round the LMS while SWMBO continues to yet another shoe shop.

What cost chewing the fat with the lads in the shop.

What cost the fact that last Saturday my exhaust came loose - a quick visit to Webbies and I was airborne again.

Try doing doing any of those (and others) with HK  

The LMS - use it, or lose it!

BEB

Beware the LMS - I went into mine recently for a sheet of 1.5mm balsa and came out £120 lighter with a Techone Eagle (don't get one) an aluminium mitre block (I've already got 3 plastic ones) and an eclipse razor saw (got 3 cheapo's already and I'm not a builder) 1 sheet of 1mm balsa and er, oh yes, a sheet of 1.5mm balsa - had to sneak it all into the house under cover of darkness  

LMS - whats that ??  I and others I dare say have a long and expensive round trip to a model store - especially annoying when you get there to find it.....
A) Closed for half day
B) OOS of one or more items on the list
C) Clueless about several items of their own stock
D) Overpriced

Not saying they are all bad....but just balancing the comments so far.
Thank goodness for the WWW in very many cases.

ytinternational i received two fantastic aircraft from them last week the yak55 26cc gas and an iconic xl 50fs the build quality is amazing no lack of glue etc unfortunately i discovered a problem with the fuz on the xl iconic during the build after a couple of phone calls and emails i sent the fuz back and had another sent in replacement. a big thank you to wilson and mike at yt
deal direct with YT for good service
YT
ALSHOBBIES AND FLITON STILL NO REPLY

• 9 months later...
well i sent two trex450 ecs's back to Robbe schulz nearly a month ago one with a intermitant fault on the bec luckily it happened at about 6" off the floor the second the bec worked but no power to the motor so i sent them both back via the model supplier to Robbe well after over two weeks i contacted the model shop about these they said that robbe stil had them please contact robbe direct so i did. the most unhelpful conversation ensued that yes they had the ecs's and it was now upto the MD to decide what to do next ????? a week later still no ecs's both my helis grounded. i received a new ecs i have bought myself via a supplier (next day after ordered ) so i can start flying again. will Robbe replace these non fit for purpose items but the time scale to replace them is shocking if they want to test them fine plug them in and test them then deal with the problem i.e replace the faulty goods.
when looking at my next heli i might be looking elsewhere or purchase from abroad so as not to deal with a supplier who can't be bothered to offer any service or replace his faulty products and yes i had to spend £37 for a new ecs +p&p because waiting a month is too long.
Robbe Schulz

Edited By colin watson on 01/03/2011 23:54:44

Ive had a couple of good experiences lately, tonys models was one, over the xmas period, ordered a few bits servo`s, a kit, covering iron etc, had an email next morning saying as only some of it was in stock did i want to cancel order and be refunded, wasnt in a rush so i said it doesnt matter carry on, next morning had one delivery off them of the bits that they had in stock, just after new year another delivery then another a few days later, so as soon as they got them i had them the next day, didnt ask for any extra postage or anything and kept me well informed throughout.
Galaxy ive ordered from a few times and always had good service, again if things are out of stock when ordered ive had the bits they do have straight away and the rest asap.
The one problematic order ive had was with moor models, no return email or other contact to confirm my order so after two weeks of waiting i emailed to say if they had recieved the order to cancel because it was no longer required, still no reply, then 2 weeks after that they money goes from my card and the bits ive tried to cancel because they didnt even acknowledge the order arrive at my house

Some time back I wanted a motor for a foamy and the design called for a small 6" prop
and a 3s lipo. Asearch througha well known dealers web site found a1700kv motor suitable for 2s/3s, This was ordered and delivered quickly.
When I connected the motor and switched on (no prop0 to check direction of rotation,I noticed a slight smell from the motor then it seemed to run very slowly.
With a prop fitted it would only produce 650 rpm.
I returned the motor to the supplier and was told that, by using 3s I had burnt the motor out and these motors were not ment to be used and people only bought them for experiments !
After 2 weeks and a lot of hastle I got my money back.
As this was some time ago I am not naming the dealer.

Models unlimited-Inverurie, Scotland

Went in to buy a few bits and bobs and overheard the owner talking to a guy and his son who wanted to learn to fly models. I heard him telling these two NOT to join any of the local clubs because they will make you pay for pointless things like INSURANCE! Both me and my friend who also flies and was present had a short heated debate with him and then walked out. I think this is wholly irresponsible behaviour for a local model shop. Living in the current climate these small shops will become very dependant on trade from local clubs. This is before we even get started on the dangers to the hobby that arise from telling people to fly from any old place without insurance. I haven't been back and recommend no-one else does either.

further to the bad suppliers and shops it is worth mentioning the very good ones
4 max who supplied me a precision aerobatics extra hassle free also replaced a friends charger that had a small fault he had purchased from them, nearly by return post good service
global these super light weight artfs are very well built after purchasing the smaller 50 size mx2 the build quality was fantastic it also flys fantastic, enough so to purchase his bigger brother the 30cc version. these models are light but also very strong
kings lynn models really good model shop check them out so far excellent service to me and some other friends
fastlads and midland helicopters offer quick parts service
inwood models and sussex model centre both excellent model shops with excellent stock levels

Hiya all. I don't know if I've got a problem which is gonna rear it's ugly head shortly. I putting this on here because I suppose I'm looking for some reassurance. The story goes as follows:-

I ordered a Lipo and a Battery condition Monitor from Hobby King on the 9th January, the lipo was in stock but the monitor was not and therefore put on back order. After waiting a month with this monitor still not in stock I decided to cancel the monitor and replace it with a covering iron. I contacted HK live chat and conversed with a young lady named Zoe who carried out my request without any problem, as the iron was dearer than the monitor I had to pay more which I sent off straight away. Now when I check my order it says NOT AVAILABLE for the total order as opposed to the usual PROCESSING. A check revealed that the Lipo is showing a stock of 10+. I emailed HK yesterday and received a reply almost immediately telling me that because of the Chinese New Year they are still running behind and it will be 3 to 7 before I get an answer. Has anyone else had these problems with HK and should I be worried?
Cheers my friends

Geoff

I think they are running a bit slowly at present, Geoff. I placed an order on 1st March and today, 5th, the Checker Robot (!) has emailed me to say the goods are packed and have been moved to shipping. That normaly happens the day of the order. That means it should be good for another week before it leaves HK, then, with the way their postal service has slowed down recently.
Provided she understood your request, it should all turn out well - but don't hold your breath...............

Pete

i have ordered odd things with hobbyking most have been ok. but prior to christmas a largish order i had placed seemed to disapear i contacted hobbyking who told me upto 45 working days i had already waited 5 weeks or more. in the end i lodged a paypal dispute and received a full refund as to the order no idea. order via germany if they have it in the european warehouse quicker delivery. i think the biggest problem is our post system so much going missing at present

Hiya Pete, thanks for this. Yes Zoe was up on my request, she understood with no messing, change was made to my order whilst on was talking to her. I'm worried about this NOT AVAILABLE showing. Cheers mate

Geoff