Puffed Up Lipos

Advert

Hmm.. I had a 2s and a 3S 1300mAh Hi model lipos from 2 different sources 2 years ago. Treated them very carefully, didn't discharge fully and charged at 80% of 1C. After about 10 cycles they both puffed up noticeably but still worked OK. Thought it was me. After using for another 8 or so cycles I lost my nerve and scrapped them in the proper way. The latest ones may be better now(?) but I'm not going to risk them!

Peter
Decisions, decisions, decisions, should you junk it, or use it, what a conundrum!

How many fires have they been with Motorola Razr, does Motorola have a position regarding battery care and life? I reckon their advice is junk it and buy a new battery; after all it generates business and reduces the possibility of product liability issues...

Then again it is your money and your home, what a conundrum.

Most things in life are judgements... Safety warriors, would have you keep all such devices in a fire proof save at the bottom of the garden, members of the dangerous sports club, would probably keep using it, until the flames made use uncomfortable.

Erfolg

The OP has now sensibly reached a decision, so really the thread has run its course, but just to pick up on Erfolg's comment re: the motorola razr - I assume there have been some incidents with this device ?? The major difference between the Lithium packs used in mobile phones, laptops etc and the ones we use in our hobby is that the mobile devices are almost certainly all lithium ion packs, encased in hard shells, with built in PCM ( protection circuit modules ). Apart from the safer chemistry of Li-Ion, these will also be physically protected against damage and swelling, and the PCM will pretty much prevent any chance of overcharging  /discharging etc. Different beast.

All our expensive lipos have puffed (himodel ones), all our cheapy loong max lipos haven't! I think I can see a correlation! Not only are they significantly cheaper, they are better quality, and they have been proven (money no object) that they actually outperform the expensive lipos!

PS all the hi model lipos say only use Li-PB chargers!!! 

• 1 month later...
I have had some Lipo from E-flite and thunderpower that say that the lipo will "puff" after the first couple of charges. The lipos did puff and have had well over 150 cycles with 6 of these batteries.  However not had any "puffing" with my Flightpower lipos.  So could it just be to do with the cell make up?