Lost model locator - suggestions?

Simon B

After an unfortunate incident today which has resulted in a lost glider (no idea where it went!), it's occurred to me that a small lightweight GPS locator would be an idea, but I don't know what sort of thing to get.  I'd ideally like something that could link to maybe something like an iphone app, so I could locate on a map, but don't know what's available.

Advert

I had these fitted to my models last year.  Twice I went down in field of oil seed rape and would not have recovered without them.  You do need to have an idea of where the model went down and also good hearing.

http://www.njttechnical.co.uk/lmf/index_files/Page374.htm

Here is a link http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1242706 which is  Tracker based 

Well you could make your own thing I think GPS is accurate to about 5 meters

If we can mount a flux capacitor on the iphone and reroute the triangulated bipolar thingumy  

Theres those loc8tr things you could try 

Edited By Peter 'Servo Scrounger' Savage on 21/05/2010 23:27:38

Edited By Peter 'Servo Scrounger' Savage on 21/05/2010 23:29:25

• 2 years later...

I've just got a telemetry transmitter but haven't had a chance to use it yet due to English weather. However I read of a chap who located a lost plane by pointing the Tx antenna laterally and noticing when the RSSI voltage dipped. As I'm sure most people know the weakest reception (two way telemetry) is when you point the antenna directly at the plane, so you will get the weakest RSSI when pointing directly at the model.

As I said I haven't had a chance to try this out yet but next time I get to the patch I'll be sure to check this out.

John.

I still use my loc8tor fitted in my fpv aircraft, aslong as i know the direction the aircraft has went and after a few calculations can then switch it on and it normally picks up the signal after a few minutes, bought the whole package for £100 around 3 years ago, the range with the loc8tor built in is meant to be 1000ft but if you build a 5 in pod for it too sit on you can easily get 3000ft , its a 5g package and does what it says on the box, i have a gps tracker for an old sports car we had , that is 46g but since we still pay the monthly sub then since its live it works down to 50ft worldwide! That is the make Tracker, another way is fit a few powerful white strobe lights and a back up battery for them , then hit a spare channel switch at night, head out onto high ground then look around, i have found aircraft this way too,

Good luck and i hope you find what youre after,

Scott

Posted by Rentman on 30/11/2012 13:56:18:

Hmmmm. How big can you go? Smartphones have a satnav locator on them for when you lose them. If you could get a used one and set it up PayAsYouGo, just drop it in the model before launching. If lost you just use another smart phone with satnav to find it.

Simples!

Ian

You could also talk to your model and tell it to brace for the crash. cool

• 1 year later...

So Guys

What's the latest on lost model locators. in the UK?

I saw one recently advertised as a"GPS" locator, but it turned out to depend on the mobile phone triangulation using the GSM system. Apparently not particularly accurate in crop fields etc.

GPS would be my preferred system, in case the plane is out of earshot. but maybe a combination is also good???

Go With the Flow

Bruce

Hi Phil

Thank you for that.

Interesting stuff, but I wasn't thinking of building my own.

Maybe I need to think a bit simpler

There must be some ready made device available.

I'm also wondering about something like a panic alarm sitting in the model, but activated by a hand held remote??? Might only have a hundred yard range or so. Or maybe something with directional tracking?

But a ready made solution???

Go With the Flow

Bruce

Posted by Bruce Austin on 20/04/2014 16:22:17:

Hi Phil

Thank you for that.

Interesting stuff, but I wasn't thinking of building my own.

Maybe I need to think a bit simpler

There must be some ready made device available.

Bruce have a try at contacting the boys at flitetest.com I'm sure somewhere in the past Josh bixler and David winnestal, 2 of their Utube channel presenters, have used a gps tracker to locate a downed model and knowing them it won't have cost mega bucks.