Cheap 4 Channel Rx for Spektrum from Hobby King

Tim Mackey

Advert

Maybe once the cat's out of the bag like this, manufacturers might embrace compatibility.  

Isn't this a great selling point for Spektrum transmitters now?  Maybe people might choose a DX7 instead of a Frsky module now that you can get sensibly priced receivers.   

Edited By Tony Smith 7 on 29/05/2010 13:40:28

There's a difference between counterfeit - trying to pass them off as genuine - and receivers which use the same protocols, but which are clearly not trying to pass themselves off as something else.

The six channel set for $14.95 - about a tenner - is interesting, even if one does not  wish to get one they might has some effect on the pricing of comparable branded items

Well after spektrum got 'hit' with the ar500 troubles, i hope these are more reliable than the genuine ones.  Wonder if this will wake up the big names, perhaps they will now start to make things a lil cheaper, look at all the cheap 35mhz receivers you could get, they were reliable.  And i wonder how long before someone reverse engineers a Futaba fasst receiver.

I've seen a suggestion elsewhere that these receivers may only be capable of receiving Spektrum DSM and are therefore only compatible with DSM2 transmitters by virtue of the fact those Txs can be switched into DSM mode.  Not sure if that's the case but I'll certainly look forward to Timbo's verdict on them once he has some to test.  

I read it that they are compatible with DSM2 and DSM.
All Spektrum Tx units ( except the car version DX6 ) are DSM2, and automatically select either DSM or DSM2 when communicating with the Rx.
DSM Receivers such as the AR6000 do not "talk back" to the Tx during binding, so the Tx then automatically switches to DSM on the lack of this chat.
All current Spektrum / JR Tx units are DSM2 / DSM equipped.

From the specs page....
"A perfect foamie or parkflyer receiver. Very small and very light!
The new range of OrangeRx receivers are built using original components and MCUs and with state of the art SMT automation to ensure a quality product each and every time.
All OrangeRx receivers are QC tested before leaving the factory.
The OrangeRx will work with ANY Spektrum DSM or DSM2 2.4Ghz transmitter"

You're right Timbo, it's very clear in what it says, however I remain a sceptic.  For the receivers to be compatible with both DSM and DSM2 transmissions they will need dual receiver circuits, using 2 different chipsets.  An expensive way to build a receiver, and given the relatively small size of the DSM user base these days, why complicate things such?

It seems far more likely that the receivers only receive DSM and allow the marketing men to claim "DSM2  transmitter compatibiliy" only as a result of the DSM2 transmitter's behaviour (defaulting back to DSM protocol when presented with a DSM receiver).

I will, however, be delighted to hear that I'm wrong if your testing demonstrates this.  Not sure how you would test whether DSM or DSM2 is being used between transmitter and receiver though?  Also, does it matter?  Well I suppose not.  If the receivers give you adequate range and prove to be reliable then who will quibble over the difference between DSM and DSM2.  

Spektrum have made public that DSM2 offers a much more robust and power efficient control link, if the legacy compatibility with DSM receivers is what's opened the door to these cheap copy receivers, will Spektrum now close the loophole by withdrawing DSM compatibility from their future transmitters?

Interesting thought Chris. I would have thought that if they are only compatible with one of the protocols...then DSM2 would be favourite, as after all - DSM is a dinosaur. I will have to have a google around to see if there is a method for determining which system they deploy - although we do have a very clever geek in the club who will doubtless be able to suss it in in seconds
As you say....doesnt matter a whole lot really -I have 3 early AR6000 rx units ( DSM ) and they all perform superbly...and also way past the stated parlk fly range. I think there may be a power saving advantage with DSM2, but frankly....I cant tell the difference, and have never bothered to measure it. I do like dabbling with testing and so on, but usually its very practical and user based stuff - does it do what it says it does, is it far from spec on important things, and so on.
....... I left my oscilloscope on the bus in 1972, and never did go looking for it

Are these CE marked and therefore legal to use for planes in Britain?

Read page 78 of the BMFA latest handbook  ...."otherwise you may be personally liable for the legality of its operation"

I dint think model match was a sole  function of the rx
I have 3 models with AR6000 rx units ( DSM ) and my DX7 will not allow operation of the wrong model with any of these either ?
KC - I will cross that bridge when I come to it. I suspect that I shall probably be only using these in cheap foamy slope soarers, and they will be well tested before use.

Edited By Timbo - Administrator on 01/06/2010 08:53:14

• 2 weeks later...