twin brushless problem

I have converted my twin star to bhbrushless as follows
2X brushless Turnigy motors
2X22 A ESC's
8x6 APC props

Everything worked a dream until suddenly when launching one motor suddenly made a growling noise and stopped....resulting in a bent model. The motors turn over smoothly ( for brushless) when turned by hand.

I have put it all back together and tried it again .It goes  OK  four out of five goes.,where the same thing happens.

Any ideas

Advert

If you havent done as Gaz suggests, then thats the first thing to check, then I may suspect a loose connection /break in the windings of one motor - if one of the three windings goes open circuit the motor will behave as you describe. Other possibilities include a duff ESC, FOD in the motor can, and so on.

I haven't metered  them individually at this stage as I would have to de-solder the power leadsb but I have checked the set up together,with results as below;

Three runs of approx   40 secs

AMPS                              WATTS
      23.0                                 230
      22.7                                 234
      22.7                                230

Needless to say the motor stall thing didn't happen on the treee runs

The motors are 2x2830-1050 Turnigy
The ESC'c are  2xpp-descau-22Amp
Props APC

Another thing ...How to check the individual windings?
Cheers

You are running the ESC slightly over their rating - and I have no experience ( or even heard of ) those brand ESC
You could do a simple check of the winding using a multimeter on resistance range, probing across each of the "3 pairs" of wires IYSWIM. The small resistance reading should be pretty near identical for each reading.
If that doesnt make sense, let me know and I will be more specific.

I am using 35 MHz........I am working on the timing thing as Alan proposed...As it is a twin motor setup I am not sure if when setting the timing via the transmitter it will work this way....The ESC's are from 4-Max. and I am waiting for a response from their Guru!

This electrcity stuff is very mind bending! What I want is to plug it into the power pack and then go..Cheers

The other thing which does happen with twin escs is that if you have not isolated one of the BEC's then they can interfere with each other.

Easiest way is to remove the red wire connection from one of the ESC plugs and tape it back so it is not used. If you do not like tape then heatshrink will do the same thing.

If you have used 22amp ESC's and the combination is only using 23amps then you are not overloading the ESC's.

Good luck.

Edited By Andy Gates on 23/06/2010 18:02:30

My intial concern would be the current draw relative to ESC rating. In my opinion a one-to one rating of motor and ESC is very bad news. Even worse news is the amps drawn being the same as the ESC.

But I do not think this would cause a growl.

My next concern would be timing, again I do not think this would cause a growl.

So I do not know, other thanconcern regarding the marginal set up.

The props...are they really required that size? I think the standard ones are 6x5 ish . although not sure if this would increase or reduce the amp . I have a dragon thing which i am repairing. One of the motors fails to start on increase of throttle but will turn with a flick. That is probably the esc but just not got round to installing a new pair.

Yhanks for that lot ........One further question Alan.....how do I isolate one ESC to do the programming? I have them wired with the power red cut on one of them.
Regarding Erfolg's post... As far as the draw is concerned , the total is 23 Amps total,  so each one should be taking 12.something,
 Regarding the growl ....this is accompanied by vibration  just before stalling(.It doesn't jam stop) 
 Re the power pack.....its a Flight tech 3800 11.1 V.

It does sound to me like changing a timing setting could help. They do need to be set the same. 
  I have had this failing to start once or twice, it wa's like the ESC can't detect the position or rotation of the motor or something. 

In the extreme Mike, you may end up unsoldering it all and swapping the two ESC's.  See if the fault stays with one ESC or one motor.

Just as a test, try them with no props on. If that always works it may indicate props that are too big. 

Just a random thought - feel free to shoot it down in flames!

Could running two ESCs off a common battery cause a problem?  Some sort of interaction between the two ESCs?  I've never tried a twin-electric motor setup,  but it seems those I hear of have a battery for each ESC and motor.

Posted by Mike Downs on 23/06/2010 21:33:30:
Yhanks for that lot ........One further question Alan.....how do I isolate one ESC to do the programming? I have them wired with the power red cut on one of them.
Regarding Erfolg's post... As far as the draw is concerned , the total is 23 Amps total,  so each one should be taking 12.something,
 Regarding the growl ....this is accompanied by vibration  just before stalling(.It doesn't jam stop) 
 Re the power pack.....its a Flight tech 3800 11.1 V.

Ah, so the current figures you mentionedearlier are combined - in which case youre not exceeding the ESC capability .

It sounds more and more like an ESC timing issue.

Posted by John Privett on 23/06/2010 23:05:52:
Just a random thought - feel free to shoot it down in flames!

Could running two ESCs off a common battery cause a problem?  Some sort of interaction between the two ESCs?  I've never tried a twin-electric motor setup,  but it seems those I hear of have a battery for each ESC and motor.

Unlikely, in fact I prefer and recommend people to use one battery rather than two.