On My Building Board

On my building board, I have the as yet unpublished Prototype of Peter Rakes 40" Sopwith Tabloid (to be powered by a park 450 outrunner).  The Fuselage is nearly ready to cover as are the Main Planes.  The Tail, Stab and Ailerons are covered. 
Looking at using Litho plate to clad the forward Fuse and Coweling.
Peters designs are always a pleasure to build.

Although not my first start from plans, I reckon it will be my first finish.

Also, on the back burner are the Tony Nijhuis hawker Hurricane and 62" Spitfire.

I also have several Cad designs on the go;  A Westland Wizard, a Gloster Gorcock (Both @ 60") and a BE2c at1/8 scale (Fortunately, I was forsighted enough to purchase a set of drawings from WW1 Aero a couple of years ago which are making the scale reproduction of the drawings a doddle).  I think the BE2c is destined for Electric as I really want to fly it on a scale prop.

What's on your building board?

Cheers,

Hugh

Advert

This is an interesting question Hugh,it seems so many modellers have kits in there loft waiting for the day.Ive managed to get myself a bit bogged down at present.Im trying to figure out the . retracts on a Blackhorse P40.Then Ive a Puppeteer than just needs putting together,eg wings and struts,and the receiver fitting in.Then I have a Puss Moth that needs Pushrods,servos andthe alike,followed by a Parasol wing model thats ready, for covering,and I have to make a decision on what engine will fit it.Im quite excited by this last model because its very unusual

68" (1/5.5 scale) Brian Taylor BF109E to be built this winter, electric powered.

Also have/about to buy: Brian Taylor FW190 60.25" plan and parts

Balsa USA 1/4 scale Neuiport 11 kit, sat waiting to be built, maybe this winter if I get through the 109.

Built but still to finish (and now up for sale), Balsa USA 1/6 scale Bristol M1c.

I'm considering buying the Nijhuis Typhoon to build and fly as a first warbird, prior to 109 and 190 maidens. (to this point just mainly flown sports/pattern/3D type aircraft, from WOT 4 to YAK 54). All have been converted to electric.

I am now tempted to use a petrol in the 109 or 190 and did buy a 26cc for the Neuiport.

I always seem to have at least two model builds on the go at the same time.
The work bench in the garage is currently being used to build a SIG Kougar
for electric power. An interesting kit this - the wings are veneered with balsa
as part of the build. Balsa seems better than obechi for wing veneer.
I've encountered some of the hardest balsa ever in this kit - the triangular
stock for the fuselage bent the pins when I tried to push them in during glueing!
Generally good quality despite this.

The spare room has a Flair Legionaire under go, another electric conversion.
I'll get on with this when it gets too cold in the garage for building.

A big Galaxy Acro kit is also waiting to be built - for 90 size elec.

A Nigel Hawes Tucano may well be next though - I already have the Plan
& canopy.

My Bettini EXTRA is waiting to get its improved tail - my first trial went wrong so I have to redo it. I will have a bit of time these days as I am on "garden leave" - but the weather is nice so I also do some flying (Came just back from the alps near lake Como - had a perfect day with my Mephisto glider).

If you would like to have a look at the EXTRA project look  here 

Not sure if I can finish and fly the Extra in Italy as I will move on the 15. of August to Milton Keynes. And in the first year everything else will have priority but not building...

But one thing is sure - I will pack my Sukhoi 29 30e into the car so I have something to do on the weekends where I am not flying back to Italy.

So the Bettini EXTRA will have to wait for the big family move which will be only in summer 2011 - or I go over once by car and throw the big box into the boot....

No second open project - my wife said I have to ruin something before I am allowed to purchase something else....
V.A.

I have my 80" Stuka- being blogged.

I only have one project at a time, otherwise I will get distracted!

In the loft is an AKROmaster.  It's a fibreglass fuselage, foam veneered wing aerobatic plane.  I picked it up for a song (£15 if I remember correctly) and it should be a quick build, but it's really an opportunity to try glassing for the first time before I try it on a hundreds of hours scale build.

The next scale build- not sure yet- there are a number of different ideas bouncing around.  Maybe even breaking with tradition and building an edf electric jut!

Thanks for joining in guys.  A lot of interesting projects on the go. 

I like to have a few on the go at once.  That way, if I hit the wall on one, I can go onto something completely different and then come back all enthused to keep going on the first.
Of course, it means that I have lots of bits lying around that can get broken or lost...

Cheers,

Hugh

So, we had an Auction at our club meeting last night... Dangerous territory.

Came home with a half built Wetern 40 Trainer Kit.  Should go together quite quickly.  A 46 AX shall do the honours.
 and...

The fuselage of a 36" stick, just needs a wing, an engine, a reciever  and some servos (15 AL I think... or maybe invest in a 25AX)...

and a Seagull 54" P51 Mustang (for Leccy)...

Good thing the Tabloid doesn't need the building board any more.

Cheers,

Hugh

No piccies yet but I've got a Phoenix Tiger Moth 40 (56" span) which I'll be converting to electric using a Turnigy SK 42-50 650Kv / 1150w on 4S. AUW is in the region of 6lb so I'll be happy with about 500W, giving about 80W/lb, which should be plenty for this model.

I hope to fiddle with some of the 'scale-ish' bits to make it look a bit better, too. There seem to be some issues about locating the struts and setting the incidences which should give me a challenge!

All being well, I'll do a thread on it

I've got all the bits for my CMPro Discus (original version) which I'll motorise but I keep reading so many negatives about this model that it's difficult to get the motivation to start it. Mind you, I suppose that for every person who moans about it, there's someone else who's been well-pleased - and at least I've learnt all about the 'iffy' bits!

What with the family descending on me in droves over the next few weeks, don't hold your breath, though............

Pete

Posted by Hugh Coleman on 22/07/2010 12:45:45:
On my building board, I have

way
too many half completed, "what if", and "I really must finish that" projects

Where do I start?

Priory Silhoutte, given to me by a work colleague 3 yrs ago, which I've built and tissue covered but awaiting PAW 35 and r/c installation and painting

Cambrian FW190 bought at the last Sandown. Similar state to the Silhouette

Black Horse Super Air wings in need of a homebuilt fus and tail to employ an underused Irvine 53

A small traplet elec plan, started a year ago with the intention of flying from fields at the end of our road, but lost enthusiasm when I couldn't get the flyelectric recommended motor and speed controller combo to talk to each other and the supplier was less than forthcoming with help

A Webbit. Liking the look of some BRC options for that

Kits on the shelf and in the loft - too many  Resolution: don't start anything else. The obvious solution is to thin down the fleet by natural selection. I.e. finish, fly, and break them and DON'T ACQUIRE ANYTHING ELSE until the number becomes manageable

The chances of that happening?       Ha!!

I have a 1/6th semi-scale model of the Evans VP1 G-BAAD on my board (amongst the repairs).  I have to have this finished for a special day in September where they are having  a get together for as many VP1s (full sized) as possible at Breighton Airfield.  This is based on the Traplet (Can I use that word here?) plan, that was based upon this aircraft, but with mods, because the actual aircraft has been modified.

Plummet

Hi all. There are some really good projects going on out there. Great to see lots of people building from plans.
On my board at the moment i'm finishing off a TN spitfire which I have blogged in another thread on here.
I have just received plans for a BT Hurricane so hopefully that will be my winter project to start. I will be asking lots of questions, Danny
I'm also looking out for a TF P51. Keep up the good works chaps.

Iain.

Having finished the TN Moskito (still not flown yet ) I'm back on the pig-of-a-plan that is the 60" Heinkel 177, and making as much of hash of the build as is the plan IMHO.

Tonight I also got out the DB Mannoch I'm slowly carving the parts for, nearly all formers done now.

Nice to see a load of building going on, and such a variety too.

Greetings from Dubai.
As it is summer here and temp goes up to 50c+ it is building season. Still fly but from 05.00 to 09.00 in the mornings, then it starts warming  up a bit.

Over the last 4 weeks I have built and flown the following.
Flair DR1 triplane.
Flair Black magic
BB Super 60
Black Horse Speed Air (artf)
TT Stuka foamy (artf)

Rebuilt 3 engines, repaired multiple aircraft.

I have just started a BB majestic major, to be followed by
BUS 1/4 scale fokker D8
Flair SE5A
BB Bushwacker.
Flair Bristol Fighter.

Then summer will be over and temps will drop below 40c so I can go flying more., and pause for breath whilst I consider what to make next.

Darryl