Airspeed Courier

Tim Hooper

Advert

I does me 'umble best, Danny, I really do!

I pinned the airframe together just get a feel for the general proportions.  I have a feeling that the short moment arm and smallish tailplane might call for a little bit of expo on the elevator!

Anyway, this seemed like an opportune tine to work out the wing fixing.  A 6mm dowel at the front edge let me centralise the wing before drilling a pilot hole for the rear bolt.  There's a 1/8 ply plate inside the fuselage.

tim

Hi Ton!

Let's see if it flies first, shall we?

Some steady progress on the fuselage over the week though, in that I managed to test fit the motor and fit a balsa nosering to hide the rear portion of the prop adapter.

The reat wing mount is from 1/8 ply.

The underside of the nose is filled with soft block and hacked into shape.

The top of the nose incorporates the battery hatch - the front portion of which is planked with 1/4 x 1/8 strip wood.

With the nose planking completed and rough-sanded, I turned to the rear fuselage.

Extending F3 and F4 upwards, and then fitting an additional top longeron gave a positive location for the upper fuselage sides.

After that, I added the 5/8 thick cabin top and sanded it to shape.  Yes, it might have been slightly lighter to plank the top, but I just happened to have this great big slab of very soft balsa to hand....
As you can see, I've made a start on the framework for the cabin glazing too!

tim

Posted by Danny Fenton on 04/11/2010 17:42:02:

Love the way Tim's photos use bounced light
 Danny,

You expect me to give away all my secrets?

Actually it's generally all natural light, but if the sky is dull then I'll add a squirt of fill-in flash (as in todays offerings).

I'm lucky enough to build in a large glass-roofed conservatory, so there's usualy plenty of light to go around. The only downside is if there's strong sunlight, and I get shadows of roofbars all over the work bench.....

tim

Hi Tim, Nice one. Those retracts look a possible answer to a future build that I have in mind,

On that three engined Bellanca. I have a set of plans drawn up for 3 15s. I did test fly it, flight lasted about 30 seconds.

It would need lightening but the model is sound. Free to anyone who wants them Span is about 56" if I remember correctly. No construction notes, just the plan..

Danny,

I can ppost you a set of prints, these would be free. If you wanted PDF files I would have to have them done and that costs.

If you want them just PM me your address.

If anyone else wants a set they will cost the price of copying and posting.

Myron

I don't really mind what people do with the plans most of the time. I won't even make sarky remarks. I do object to people who use a non-scale colour scheme ona scale model.

Tim

Sorry, we seem to ha ve hijacked your thread.

Peter

Posted by Danny Fenton on 04/11/2010 19:06:46:
Lol sorry Tim hijacking your thread while I have you, have two more possibles for your build list:

I was researching tri motors and stumbled on these.....

Cheers
Danny
 Hijacking the thread?  You're more than welcome!

That second tri-motor does indeed look very interesting.

Mind you, you've missed the prettiest tri-motor of all time - the Farman Jabiru....

This was my shot at it;

Flew very nicely on 3 S280 geared motors and 7 Nicads;

tim

Posted by Peter Miller on 06/11/2010 08:41:34:
Ye Gods, The French produced some incredibly ugly aircraft in the 30s but that takes the biscuit.
 I know, Peter, I know.  I also know that I'm attracted by ugly aeroplanes in general....

I did some research on that tri-Douglas-powered Aerogypt that Danny posted  earlier.  Makes interesting reading - now i wonder if anybody has a 3-view?

OK, back to the (compared to the Jabiru anyway) lovely Courier!

I've spent a little bit of time faffing about with the windscreen framing;

Once all those little sticks were in place, I was able to to saw through the roof and nose planking to release the completed assembly, which now acts as the battery hatch;

That done I headed off to the ironmongers to buy a plant pot, and dug out a length of convoluted trunking from the darkest recesses of my shed.....
Good, eh?