I've done it ! I've done it !!

ericrw

Aah, thanks for pointing that out, now I understand.

I wasn't being critical just trying to open a debate on how other clubs work and what people think in general.

We have people in our club that have been flying two or three years and still haven't taken their 'A' but fly safely and abide by all the rules.

JC

Advert

Jeff,

I understand why your club wants to get pupils to a high standard before coming off the buddy lead but surely they must feel someone is ready to be off the lead if they are ready for the test - which should surely be done as a solo performance.

Isn't it a given that the A test should be flown unaided and without the added comfort factor of an experienced pilot a click of the buddy switch away?

I hope your club is unique in this approach - or are there others out there that see it differently?

Like Martin I can see the reason - but even so a big element of the test is to prove you can fly safely without the "crutch" of a buddy lead.

In our club all beginners start on a buddy lead - no exceptions. But a some point in their training the lead is removed. They must still fly "in company" with an instructor standing next to them - but they don't have the lead.

Loosing the buddy lead is seen in our club as a major landmark in the learning process and a big step towards being ready for the test. It says to the learner that their instructor now considers them basically competant but perhaps inexperienced as yet, and so with some more stick time they will be ready for the test.

BEB

I was interested to see a comment earlier in the thread that someone found it more difficult ON the buddy lead but I'm sure it's more common for people to feel additional nerves when they lose the link - but it can also act as a massive confidence boost once the initial nerves are conquered.

One thing that worries me is that someone from Jeff's club could take themselves off anywhere - maybe to a semi-public fly-in with their shiny new A cert having never flown on their own before.

Well Jeff, club rules are club rules - and we have to live with them. One thing though, don't let all this debate by us "oily hands" take the shine of your new A cert. Be proud of your achievement and enjoy it. I'm sure you earned it and the days of the buddy lead are forever behind you now - well until you get roped in as an instructor anyway!

Well done

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother on 21/10/2010 14:12:09

Yes well done Jeff, in all the debate on how other clubs work I forgot my manners!

Well I still have to do mine, keep putting it off............that's the other side of the coin I guess, because we can fly without the buddy lead so long as there is someone with us there never seems to be much of a rush! Your always there with your mates anyway so you really don't feel very disadvantaged!

Think it might be a bit late to do it this year with winter round the corner and short days but time marches on 67 in December  if I don't do it soon I will forget were the club is

Regards

JC

Am i the oldest to yet to try for my A? Been at it for 3 years now but due to lack of examiners been a difficult time. Can take off do all my circuits, land correctly and set up and build any type of aircraft. What age I hear you ask- 84 this year but still hoping.
Why do I bother? well i have been promissed a 14MZ by the family when I pass..

Posted by JayCee on 21/10/2010 15:22:10: on 67 in December  if I don't do it soon I will forget were the club is

Regards

JC

67? Just starting out in life!

I remember some years ago at the opening of our full size flying club, a friend of mine did a 200mph flyby, gear up, and following the hump in the runway (Cessna 410). He was 72 at the time, reputedly always had a hip-flask of Scotland's best by his side. When he went for his medical each year, the doctor would listen to his heart, and occasionally excuse himself, saying he had to see another patient urgently telling him to re-book. His own runway on his farm was on quite a slope, most people hated taking a 150 in to it. He flew into his eighties. (he was the inventor of Oil of Olay)

Years make you wiser, not less able!

Posted by Norman Eyers on 21/10/2010 17:37:38:
Am i the oldest to yet to try for my A? Been at it for 3 years now but due to lack of examiners been a difficult time. Can take off do all my circuits, land correctly and set up and build any type of aircraft. What age I hear you ask- 84 this year but still hoping.
Why do I bother? well i have been promissed a 14MZ by the family when I pass..

Go for it Norman
I just hope I have your enterprise and enthusiasm at your age - well done mate!

BEB

• 2 weeks later...