receiver = weight

ericrw

I'm in the process of putting together a Giant Cessna 182 with a wing span of 73".   I wish to use a Futaba R617FS receiver and my 2.4 Futaba Transmitter  but I wish to know if this receiver is appropriate for the flying weight of the model, which is 2500 grams (approx) ?  Eric.

Advert

hello eric...it really nothing to do with the weight of the model-as reguards what RX you install/use......the deciding factor is how many servo's and plug/socket's you need for a model......ie-5CH......7CH.......or...10Channel's.....
i think i have picked up your question correctly..

ken anderson   ne...1.

This model has 6 servos; so there isn't a problem!   It's just that there seems so many variations of receivers and their identification codes that I find it difficult to decide which one is appropriate.    Thanks to you both for a quick response.  Eric.

Don't know the particular RX you refer to as I fly Spektrum, BUT, for the benefit of any less experienced readers of this thread it should be noted that there are receivers (2.4Ghz and 35MHz) which are not "full range", but are intended for Park Flyers and Indoor only.

Larger models should always be flown with receivers rated as "Full range".

I suspect Eric's question comes from the theme?atmosphere from some threads with respect aftermarket/tier 2 Rx suppliers.

I do believe that the answer that suitability has nothing to do with size. It is about reliability and redundancy. fail-safe and all the other issues raised.

I guess you can argue reasonably, the bigger and faster the model, the higher is the level of potential risk.

Many will believe that a Futaba receiver or similar badge, is reassuring to the extent that risk can be stated as low. Where as after market type  Rx's are less reliable, and should not be used, or used in small , slow models only. I am not sure I completely agree with this view. Yet for many a "reassuring expensive" price, provides confidence. Yet Stella, where the phrase is used in advertisements, is a mass market beverage in the home market (Belgium), not a premium product.

With respect to aftermarket Rx;s, the design and quality will be dependant on the company, not necessarily the price.

It should be remembered that Stella (star) has probably 75% of the Belgium domestic market and is difficult to get away from, the selling price reflecting its position. There are far better European beers available (Pilsners). Spaten Brau, Dom Kolsch and Erdinger are my prejudices. But is my faith well founded? No you all say. So it is with any Brand, price alone is not the differentiator.

Ken

I agree, have a pint.

All the well known brand names are reliable.

Most if not all smaller labels work well.

Even the Micron receivers I made, are still going strong after +20 years.

As long as that is, they are full range etc, and you do not expect a park flier receiver to have the range of standard Rx's.

Not quite an aside, but related, I have had my Gold Futaba Tx, Sanwa Clubman Tx fail. I have had Futaba servos fail.

Nothing is totally reliable. That is why i now have two Futaba 6EX (35 & 2.4) tx's and 6 Rx's(4off 617). The rest Micron (3), Corona (1) and Weston (another failed on range).

Yep, price is only an indicator.

Time for a Weissbier, ahhh, that tastes good. What you think it is rubbish! But I paid a lot of money for it!

Eric

Most of my Rx's are single conversion types, I have had no issues with any of them. I do not fly DF.

I have only two dual conversion Rx's, a Futaba and a Corona.

Yet not suffering any apparent interference, I am assuming the dual conversion, could be as effective as the anti Elephant pills, and anti Anaconda ditch in my garden. Theoretically far better than the hedge only, but as yet I have not spotted any elephants or Anaconda, getting through the hedge and  challenging my secondary defences, I may not really have a problem.

Sure there will be differences between manufacturers. I do believe that Rx's from Futaba, Sanwa, JR, Hitec, Spektrum etc. are much of an muchness, with the dual conversion being at least theoretically better. But at a a practical level is dual conversion necessary, or will it avoid you going in? It is possibly a matter of opinion, as much as experiences/fact.

With respect to second tier suppliers, this is difficult. Are Jeti, Corona, Assan, Fsky, suspect? 

I know many people who happily and successfully use them, with no apparent trouble.

Just as many long term modellers I have knownmany  models to go in, many with cries, I have lost signal. I have suspected in many instances, they have actually lost orientation, and it is coincidental that the electric fence in the next field but one, is there and not switched on as there are no cows present. I have also suspected that some models have gone in at launch, possibly lack of airspeed on fast flying models especially DF's.

Radio problems I fervently believe are really few and far between.

Ohh! I do know of one dual conversion that went in, some good half mile distance, and strangely something similar has happened to a 2.4, all happening moderately low down. All blaming that corner of the next field. I also remember an Alpina, loose signal, and continued to glide a further +1/2 mile before  landing unharmed on the roof of some two story flats, so I was told, totally undamaged, It had the best of everything. In that case, I think he was to far down wind, possibly going to slow, trying to get back to the field, did not keep the nose down, to maintain best L/D and stalled it, by the time it recovered, I suspect he could no longer see it properly.

I believe it us modellers that are more suspect than any of the common radio systems,

Edited By Erfolg on 02/11/2010 13:40:00

I'm probably guilty of bias towards my system of choice but I don't see Jeti as a second tier system!  They are reassuringly expensive...especially if you were to ignore Puffin's good service and fair prices and get them via the other importer!!!

...but this is the point of the thread, really.  You make a judgement based on reputation, reports, features and price and then "yer pays yer money".

Funnily enough, I'd be more inclined to put a popular system from your first tier list with a track record of problems in the second tier but I'm not looking to start a mine's better than yours war so I won't name it.

Edited By Martin Harris on 02/11/2010 15:40:04

Martin

Strangely enough, I have been impressed with Jetti, although having only seen the system operating within a Futaba transmitter, with what I believe is a control panel.

I am absolutely convinced we are best in avoiding "my own is better than yours", as in this particular arena, I think the differences are less than in some other consumer products.

I only placed Jetti as second Tier on the basis I only see the system used in conjunction with other peoples transmitter cases, as a module, rather than full systems. Although I acknowledge that some of my listed tier 2 manufactures , such as Assan, do manufacture complete systems.

I guessed any ranking based on opinion, is somewhat arbitrary, and unfounded biases is an ever present danger.

I suspects Eric's reference to single versus dual conversion, has more legs than the brand.

I also suspect that 2.4 is not quite as solid in the presence of wet trees, with the model close and low by the aforementioned obstacles. But then again, it is asking for trouble to be near to such obstacles if some distance away. Even 60 feet can be close enough to these vicious model grabbers.

I can see the quality in a Maybach or Lamborghini, relative to Metro. I am not sure that there is such a marked difference with our RC gear.