Plasti- dip

Advert

Well that's really strange - I was just looking at that stuff last night (been in my favorites for ages) - has Timbo hacked my laptop? -  but it was the HCF stuff I was looking at, quote "

HCF is a flexible acrylic water base coating,that can be air dried or heat cured!

HCF can be sprayed (see HCF's'), dipped or brushed and is available in a wide selection of colours. HCF exhibits excellent petroleum, chemical, UV, corrosion and abrasion resistance. HCF can be applied to metal, wood plastic and more.

HCF The safety of a water base with the performance of a solvent base coating!"

Thinking it might be a good protector for foamies especially the underside of belly landers.

The article isn't live yet, I think you could see it through mod' privelages Tim. I was going to put it on tomorrow but have just brought it forward - click here. It's just one of the usual 'first looks' but as you can see I did wonder if anyone has tried the stuff yet.......certainly looks intriguing.

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Administrator on 31/10/2010 18:58:44

Craig
You might be better off getting one of the many latex type quick setting products used for taking an impression of your mouth in a couple of minutes  to make up false teeth . Don't ask me how I know (having spoken to my dentist about its availability) . Can't remember the exact  web sites to do with dental thingy's but they're out there .
It doesn't alter shape after moulding of course but I wouldn't know whether Plasti Dip has that property & maybe is a bit too  "floppy" for accurate casting of our bits and bobs
Myron Hope this might help

Hi Myron,

thats a good way to research things lol! (the teeth I mean), I do know the stuff you mean though, I had a cast done of my teeth when I was younger and it was very quick.
I see what you mean about the plasti dip being a bit floppy I thought it would be very accurate though, I suppose you have to think about pulling it out as well.

Ill have a look for some denture dip.

Cheers Myron.

I have used polymorph and its way different to this stuff I suspect. 
Polymorph is in hard white pellet form , and is softened in warm water to become a pliable but plastic material.
You should be aware that if you cast something in this stuff, it will not flex to allow the "thing"to be removed after. Once cured ( as it cools ) it sets very hard, but can be re-softened if required by warming in water again.
Its also pretty heavy for its size.  I still have a bag of it in my bits box.

Polymorth is as Tim says but I found it usefull for adding bits on to plasic figuars lifejacketts, helmets, ear phones etc dont need to spend so much on pilots then. I have used it as a mold when the cast has set warm it back up to relesse the cast ,but as Tim says its a bit heavey so i mold it round large drinking straws that bend for my pilots that mean i use less and get the shape right  and lighter but the dip will be usfull to finish things off as you can see from here lots of   MultipleColours.

Martyn

Posted by martyn sharp on 03/11/2010 15:16:33:

Polymorth is as Tim says but I found it usefull for adding bits on to plasic figuars lifejacketts, helmets, ear phones etc dont need to spend so much on pilots then. I have used it as a mold when the cast has set warm it back up to relesse the cast ,but as Tim says its a bit heavey so i mold it round large drinking straws that bend for my pilots that mean i use less and get the shape right  and lighter but the dip will be usfull to finish things off as you can see from here lots of   MultipleColours.

Martyn

Very interesting, Martyn. I'm thinking the clear Plastidip might be useful as an alternative to glass or tape for beefing up the underside of foamies..................

Pete

great stuff plasti-dip , been using it for years , jamara may of just latched on to it, but its been in the vintage vehicle restoration job for around 25 years, okay for use on larger planes but it is heavy stuff, paint this on the underside of a servo tray let it dry then screw your servos down, works like an anti vibration medium,

can be ordered from Frost restorations of Rochdale via their web site

all the best
John

sorry it s me again , but just been reading through some of the posts on casting in resins etc, for small intricate objects, latex is best , but time cosuming to get the mould thickness, a better solution is red vinamold you simply warm the stuff up and pour it onto the part to be moulded ( or dip it in) let it cool then peel it off , this stuff doesn't stick to anything and is resistant to all kinds of resin, I use it a lot myself , if you want a mould in around 20 minutes there is nothing better most grp suppliers sell it , for the quantity that is needed for model aircraft parts ,  most of them will give you a sample to try which will be sufficient, its usually sold by the kilo and comes in big rubbery slabs .

John

I have tried this dip in canada and It was great for putting a new rubberised coating on pliers etc.
 However-  I found the surface of the liquid in the tin begins to dry very quickly while it is exposed to air!   It is supposed to dry like this of course, but be aware that the tin of remaining liquid can become unusable after  a few goes, due to dry film on the surface and around the edges.  It worked best for me when I used a lot in just a few goes rather than using a little in many jobs.

Hi Guys,....... yep tis the one from Oz again,
Well this is an old product type in a new label.... we used to have either this or something  that this apprximates, about 25 years ago. It was mainly marketed as a paint-on anti-slip coating, from memory it was both electrically and (reasonably) thermal isolating and water water proof (when not damaged)... It was mainly advertised here to protect tools and similar things e.g. dip your handles (monkey wrench, off-set pliers, stilsens, hammers, chisels/bolsters etc , air dry in minutes, dip again and repeat a few times to get a build up.... Too many people did a single dip for their tools, and complained that the product wouldn't take a hammering.....scuse the pun.

I beleive it also had a disagreeable element as well, could have been a little carsenogenous....at the time.

I have for many years wished that I had that product, couldn'y remember who made that stuff,

Martin