Seagull Yak 54 (91 Deluxe Series)

I calculated the torque required from each Servo using a Servo Torque Calculator (**LINK**) and taking the max air speed of 80 MPH and using the aerobatic flying throws calculates that you will require servo's with at least the following Torque values:-

Elevator 2.6 Kg/cm

Aileron 2.8 Kg/cm

Rudder 5.5 Kg/cm

If you set the throws greater than the aerobatic settings, the torque values will be even higher.

Advert

Thank you for the Servo stats.....the Rudder torque value is right at the upper limit of the servo used, thankfully the other stats are approximately half the load.

I equipped the Yak with hitec hs-485hb deluxe all-round. I bought them a year and a half ago when I bought the model and engine. These servos would appear to have very mixed reviews! Some people swear by them, a lot of people have had multiple failures!

• 6 months later...
Posted by Paul Adams on 03/09/2013 18:59:21:

I calculated the torque required from each Servo using a Servo Torque Calculator (**LINK**) and taking the max air speed of 80 MPH and using the aerobatic flying throws calculates that you will require servo's with at least the following Torque values:-

Elevator 2.6 Kg/cm

Aileron 2.8 Kg/cm

Rudder 5.5 Kg/cm

If you set the throws greater than the aerobatic settings, the torque values will be even higher.

Your assumed airspeed may be a little conservative, Paul. I've fitted an ASI in mine and get a little over 80 mph in level flight at full throttle and have got it to 121 mph in a powered dive. A shallow dive will get it to 100 pretty quickly. That's since reverting to a 120 FS after some observations that the 180 was a bit loud for our site.

Hi Martin, I agree, but do you use full throws at full throttle in a dive? probably not.

The maths show that If you use 72 % of the throw when at 120 mph, you would require the same servo torque (The maths behind the torque requirement shows that the torque is proportional to the speed but is a square of the amount of throw, so 100% throw at 80 mph gives the same torque requirement as 72% of the throw at 120 mph).

There are other variables which also effect the torque. For example if you use less than 100% travel on your transmitter you need to increase the torque (70% travel requires more than double the torque). So best to keep the travels at 100% + and adjust the push rods to get the correct throw.

As stated above, this is the minimum torque value and I would always use servo's with a bit of extra torque, just to be on the safe side.

do not know where you get those figures from but if you fit servos to that model with them kg pulls you are gonna lose the model, in knife edge i had Hitec 5KG servos on each elevator and the elevators would wave at me on the way past, so i swapped them out for 12KG MG Alturns.....yes i had an ST 23 cc 2 stroke in mine, and i do throw her about but do not be such a tight bum, and fit servos to do her justice

Posted by Lee Smalley on 10/03/2014 12:54:04:

do not know where you get those figures from but if you fit servos to that model with them kg pulls you are gonna lose the model, in knife edge i had Hitec 5KG servos on each elevator and the elevators would wave at me on the way past, so i swapped them out for 12KG MG Alturns.....yes i had an ST 23 cc 2 stroke in mine, and i do throw her about but do not be such a tight bum, and fit servos to do her justice

No problems noticed with 5kg digital elevator (and aileron) servos - and I was watching/listening very carefully when I was checking the maximum speed - but the rudder did benefit from upgrading to a 14kg one for knife edge manoeuvres.

I too had servo failure on my second flight with this model last year, at the time I used Hitec HS-485HB and thankfully it was the rudder that failed and managed to get her back down safely.

I am going to replace all the servos with Power HD High-Torque Servo 1501MG, very competitively priced and fingers crossed will now exceed the recommended torque requirements.

Edited By JimmyBH on 11/03/2014 09:03:45

I do not know the servos Allen but 8.5kg will prob be ok, the rudder might need more but it depends what style of flying your doing, martin as you know digitals have better holding power than the analog units i was using, whilst i never suffered a failure it was obvious the servos were struggling during certain times so i swopped them out and my recommendation to everyone else is to do the same if you are giving it some rice

Admittedly, I've only had one example as an EDF power pack but I'm afraid it's performed far worse than my cheap Hobby Store Dynamics - the cell voltages drop far more under load after roughly equal usage.

My Yak uses paralleled 1100 maH LiFe packs. via individual switches/power leads.

Edited By Martin Harris on 11/03/2014 19:17:05

• 2 months later...

Well I have an MVVS 26cc for it, but it seems rather large, also have a new AGM 30cc. There have been a few forum posts elsewhere suggesting you need at least a 26cc, and preferably a 30cc for good 3D, and then others suggesting it comes down like a brick with a 30cc motor, but needs a ton of lead upfront with a 20cc.

Damned confusing if you ask me. The manual says 20cc petrol, but if a 26/30cc fits and reduces the need for nose weight, then why not have the extra power.

Edited By John Allen on 04/06/2014 23:25:07

I flew mine on an O.S. 120 fs John, it flew great. It didn't have unlimited vertical nor power to pull out of hover easily. I don't think a 20 petrol will either. I don't know the weights for your engine choices, but moving the battery's back will help you balance without using lead. Fit a lite ply floor in rear of fuselage if needed to locate them. I used no lead in mine it balanced with the battery's fixed to engine box.

John

weight start to become your enemy now the MVVS is 1.1Kg the DLE 20 is 820g i am not sure the performance increase will make up for the extra weight and the wing loading will only get higher and mine with a 1kilo lump of super tigre up front would be as much weight as i think the airframe could cope with and still fly nice, i have had two and if i was going to have another i would put a cooking 120 or 150 2 stroke in .... moki 150 ooohhh!